View topic image gallery

BonusTriangleInserts.png
20130407_003229.jpg
100_1648.JPG
image001.jpg
SydneySerialBoldTest.png
SydneySerialBold.png
#1 11 years ago

I've searched high and low but couldn't find any official (or knowledgeable unofficial) information regarding the font used on the inserts on Bally's 1979 widebody, PARAGON.

I'm restoring a very worn playfield which may lead to replacing some, or all, of the inserts. If so, I'll need to redo the lettering on them. I "cut out" some letters using Photoshop from a scan of a NOS playfield and uploaded them to http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/. The font that matched most consistently across multiple tests was Sydney Serial Bold.

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/softmaker/sydney-serial/bold/

Here's a comparison between the original letters from the scan and those from the Sydney Serial font:

SydneySerialBold.pngSydneySerialBold.png

And here's a mockup of the font used to replace the inserts on part of the NOS scan:

SydneySerialBoldTest.pngSydneySerialBoldTest.png

What do you think? A good enough match or does anyone know what the actual font used was called?

#2 11 years ago

I think it looks better than the original actually. If you want, I have the entire playfield scanned in and you can just make water slides from the originals if you wanted.

#3 11 years ago

Looks good!

I'm in the process of doing the same thing but simply scanned my playfield for the water-slide decals. The original color screen was way off the inserts.

image001.jpgimage001.jpg 100_1648.JPG100_1648.JPG 20130407_003229.jpg20130407_003229.jpg

#4 11 years ago

Damn nice font match. Looks like the original is just a little wider, but it is almost certainly that font. That could be from press gain, or more likely they stretched it a bit to better fill the big inserts. If you wanted to be really picky, you could easily scale it up horizontally in Adobe Illustrator. It would be a trivial % width transformation and take like 5 seconds. I had to do that for a few text items on the Medusa playfield when i was laying out the fonts a few weeks ago.

-Jim Heck
CPR Artist

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

I think it looks better than the original actually. If you want, I have the entire playfield scanned in and you can just make water slides from the originals if you wanted.

Hi, Neo, but you already sent it to me last week! That's a snip out of your scan. Thanks again, BTW, it's been invaluable. Such a good reference.

Can you recommend what you use for creating the water slides? I've done them before using an inkjet printer for other modelling hobbies I have but I'd assume that an inkjet wouldn't created a dense enough print for something that is going to be backlit?

#6 11 years ago

I'm in the process of doing the same thing but simply scanned my playfield for the water-slide decals. The original color screen was way off the inserts.

Woah! Those letters really were way off centre! Nice to see someone else tackling a Paragon with playfield wear nearly as bad as mine. Please post more photos (or do you have a blog?) as you make progress as I'd love to see the results.

Here's what my "bonus triangle" of inserts looks like:

BonusTriangleInserts.pngBonusTriangleInserts.png

#7 11 years ago
Quoted from heckheck:

Damn nice font match. Looks like the original is just a little wider, but it is almost certainly that font. That could be from press gain, or more likely they stretched it a bit to better fill the big inserts. If you wanted to be really picky, you could easily scale it up horizontally in Adobe Illustrator. It would be a trivial % width transformation and take like 5 seconds. I had to do that for a few text items on the Medusa playfield when i was laying out the fonts a few weeks ago.
-Jim Heck
CPR Artist

Thanks, Jim. Coming from a CPR artist I'll take that as a BIG compliment! The originals were "lifted" from the scan by CMYK channel splitting and then inverting the black channel. They have that nice, aged, embossed effect from trying to up the contrast to get the edges crisp for the OCR at http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/. I think the Sydney Serial font could be made a little "fatter" to match using a touch of soften/blur/dilation and appropriate resizing. Smithsonian purists would want the real thing but I think it's great for the 99.9% of us lesser mortals.

BTW Jim, I did contact CPR about doing the artwork for a Paragon playfield. I know CPR gets a bazillion emails a day saying "Can you make xxx?" but I noticed that Kevin Wayte and David Fix had done/are doing Paragon plastics and backglass respectively and wondered if there was any interest in doing the PF? As you can see above my PF is very worn. I'm a web designer by profession so using Photoshop, PSP, Inkscape, etc., is my bread and butter.

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

I'd love to know a little more about the process you're following to do your restoration? You seem to have cleaned off the grey wood, then primed with white but how have you recreated the image around the P-A-R-A-G-O-N inserts? Is a transfer, hand painted or airbrushed? Looks really good, I certainly can't see any difference. I hope my PF comes up this good!

#9 11 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Still need that for my friend that bought yours. Shoot me the info, lol.

#10 11 years ago

for water slides, you have to print the playfield graphics on white backed water slide. Covers fine. For inserts you print on clear. If your laser printer or inkjet doesn't print dense enough. Do one decal. Let dry, then do another and line it up over the top of it creating a double density version.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-paragon-insert-font and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.