Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Paragon_MPUa.jpg
20171201_073127 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 6 years ago

Start by reading the tech docs. You're an electrician so I assume you have access to a DMM/voltmeter. You'll have most of the tools as well, but you may need some specialized ones as well, also listed in the repair docs. The game is probably going to need repairs and mods to several boards and cinnector overhauls as well.

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

It could have failed and be putting too high of a voltage through too.

Yes, but that won't cause a lack of display characters, just prematurely burn out the display. A lot of these old Bally's are over voltage, and still run. When you get one, you should rebuild the HV and adjust it as far down as comfortably viewable to extend the lifespan of the gas displays.

#9 6 years ago

Easy there! Start by SLOWING DOWN. I know you are excited, but you need to gain some education non how these pins work before you dive in. If you move too fast you will cost yourself more time, more troubles, and more expenses that are unnecessary.

Coils actually rarely go bad. A solid state pinball is more like a computer. Read those docs, start to learn the diagnostic menu (if it gets that far) and start learning how to use a meter to check.your basic electronics. The first thing will be testing, modifying and making certain the power supply is performing within specifications and stable, then you can address issues with the rest of the systems.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

You said a glow implies the HV section is good, which is not the case. Since there is a glow, we know that the problem causing the displays not to show digits is with the MPU, not the high voltage, but it doesn't mean that the HV section is good.

If you are going to quote someone, make sure you quote the right person. I said exactly what you are saying now in post #7. There is a minimum voltage required to make the glass glow, and rebuilding and adjusting the HV may still be necessary.

1 week later
#14 6 years ago

From your post it sounds like your boards are hacked. I would go through each board performing the recommended repairs, modifications and overhaul systematically, board by board and repin all the connectors properly. Read all of the docs and check each board thouroghly

http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index1.htm
http://www.pinrepair.com/connect/

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from HerNameWasLola:

Thanks for all the replys, I've downloaded all the drawings and followed them! I've now got all the correct voltages on all the cards apart from the sound card on TP5 but I think this is a ground????
Now when powering the machine the green LED lights (but dimly) and justs stays on!! From reading the guides this is a nightmare problem, the card has got some greying/corrosion! So my question is should I just bite the bullet and buy an Alltek MPU card??
Thanks for all your assistance and advice guys!

Post a pic and we'll tell you what we think. The Alltek is a good option. For someone with experience, repairing a corroded board is labor intensive and about $20 in parts....but it's still somewhat a gamble. You could end up replacing more parts, or having more headaches. Replacing the board will help you get the game up and running quicker in most cases.

#21 6 years ago

It could be reparable, I've seen worse. Did you read the tech docs I linked to in the first post? Damaged components need to be removed, acid neutralized, traces sanded clean and repaired where necessary, and then new components installed. You can get the parts from GPE or Big Daddy. It's a bit if work and involves replacing about 20-25 components. It's not a beginner task, for sure.

1 week later
#37 6 years ago

Switches are daisy chained, and it is very common to have a broken wire on a row or column switch that is upstream from the malfunctioning switch. The upstream switch will still work. You'll have to visually follow the wires from the malfunctioning switch to the others in the same row/column.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wayout440.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-paragon-help?tu=wayout440 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.