(Topic ID: 199697)

Bally Paragon generating incorrect tone sequences (RESOLVED)

By srcdube

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 77 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by srcdube
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

MC14526B (resized).JPG
soundcard (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
Untitled (resized).png
Untitled (resized).png
AS-2888-4___U3-729-51.jpg
There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago

I'll state the obvious, we are overthinking this and it will be quicker and inexpensive to just shotgun and replace those TTL chips - but I know that wouldn't be any fun...

Quoted from srcdube:

kewl... you mentioned emulator... is this from the PROM code? Are there text files with the prom code?

You have to find/know where the data is I already had it mapped out from a previous project.

The binary bit orientation is SOL-E,D,C,B,A for the hex sound select values I previously gave.
So eg:

SOL-
EDCBA - hex number
11000 - "18" sound/tone select
10111 - "17" sound/tone select
10010 - "12" sound/tone select
01101 - "0D" sound/tone select
01001 - "09" sound/tone select
00110 - "06" sound/tone select
00100 - "04" sound/tone select
00000 - "00" sound/tone select
etc

You will notice in the bonus countdown table I listed in post #46 on the previous page, it plays 8 tones in increasing pitch then starts again from the next higher base "note".
The bonus countdown always starts from the lowest tone at the very top left of the table I listed. So if you only achieved 19k bonus on your ball, it would playback:

19k: 00, 02, 04, 05, 07, 09, 0B, 0C, 02, 04
09k: 06, 07, 09, 0B, 0D, 0E, 04, 06, 08

The more bonus you achieve, the higher in playback tones it scales up to.

Quoted from srcdube:

How do the bonus multipliers affect it... it sounds like for 5X it's doing something like this:

49k: 00, 00, 00, 00, 00, 02, 02,02,02,02, 04, 04, 04, 04, 04, 05, 05, 05, 05, 05, 07, ... is that correct?

Yes, this is exactly what happens when you have bonus multipliers, it plays each tone X times.

Quoted from srcdube:

Do you also have the sequence for the Test chime that repeats in test mode? Probably too fast for me to follow anyway.

Yes I'm sure I have it, but it's on another computer - will post it later.

#52 6 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

Do you also have the sequence for the Test chime that repeats in test mode? Probably too fast for me to follow anyway.

The Game Over tune is what's played in switch test mode. Below is the SOL-E,D,C,B,A sound select signals sent to the sound board (in hex format) for this tune.
It won't be of any help because each tone is played too quickly to decipher anomalies, but I put it here for reference.

04, 05, 16, 05, 16, 05, 16, 05, 16, 05, 16, 05, 16, 06, 17, 07,
18, 08, 19, 0A, 1A, 0B, 1B, 0C, 1C, 0D, 1D, 0E, 0F, 0C, 19, 0F,
18, 19, 16, 17, 0F, 16, 17, 11, 14, 12, 00, 01, 01, 0F, 01, 0F,
01, 0F, 02, 0F, 01, 00, 08, 0F, 00, 01, 01, 0F, 01, 0F, 01, 0F,
02, 0F, 01, 0F

1 week later
#53 6 years ago

Sorry for late response... topics page wasn't really clear that new posts were added.

Thanks for all the input Quench. I'll leverage the information if I can.

I'm trying to avoid shotgun approach for several reasons... it still works very good... only sux for me because I know how it's supposed to sound like...don't want to bust it worse. Soldering skills getting better but still not great... old boards ... some pads lifting when desoldering. Chips not readily available so I'm ordering stuff and waiting for it in the mail... make the fix but doesn't get it.

So far it's getting personal and i just want to nail it instead of bailing on the fix. But I'm almost ready to buy a brand new aftermarket one instead of mucking around with it more but I'm not convinced it's the soundcard. I don't want to drop another $100 bucks for a card just to find out the card is ok and something is wrong with the mpu. Would really like to try the card in another system to be sure its the soundboard.

Is there anyone in the Ottawa area with either a Paragon, Harlem Globetrotters, or Dolly Parton who would be willing to plug it into their system... I really don't see any risk to damaging the mpu with it. There could be a beer in it for you

#54 6 years ago

... also could be in the analog circuits... not sure how it could affect tone, but my digital knowledge is better than my analog. Given that it's making sounds I don't think it's analog stuff, but I could be wrong. Looks like mostly op amp stuff to control sustain and drive the speaker levels. Could stuff in the analog circuit affect sequence or tone played? Does sustain just control how long the tone lasts or could it be on "too long" and pick up data/tones off the bus that it shouldn't, or affect the frequency that's fed into the analog circuit?

#55 6 years ago

OK... at a computer instead of iphone, so can type a bit more... here are some other anomalies that I've found in debugging. I'll put in separate posts.

Following the Ball Repair Procedures ... Third Revision F.O 560-2. For debugging the sound card. On page 65.
1) 5V and 12V power levels good at test points
2) 0.8 VDC at R3/R5 is correct.
and from the Schematic, I'm seeing 2VDC at the outputs of U11 pin 11 and pin 9. This makes me think U11 is probably working OK.
3) Audio Amplifier Check. Says that I should see 2VDC at U9 pin 2 but I'm getting 6 volts. I'm going to measure a few more things around the op amps to see if the resistors are still correct value and the sustain rheostat is the correct resistance.

Sweeping the sustain does seem to have a minor effect on the duration of the tones, like I would expect it to, but nothing extraordinary like changing the tone itself.

If the Op Amp or surrounding circuitry is out of whack can that affect the tone frequency itself? I expect all that circuitry is just amplification and DC levels, and wouldn't affect tone frequency; and if it does, why some tones and not others?

Any ideas on why U9 pin 2 would be 6V instead of 2V, and would it be OK if it was?

Separate post follows...

#56 6 years ago

...Following the Ball Repair Procedures ... Third Revision F.O 560-2. For debugging the sound card. On page 67... on clocking in data to drive U3.

Repair guide indicates "momentarily connect 5V to U2 pin 5 (clock) which should clock in a null on the address line". Page 70 item 3) also indicates the same thing... clock in data with 5V on U2 pin 5. This seems to imply that the signal should be sitting at low, and pulses high to lock in a data for tone.

However, the datasheet for U2 indicates that if P input (pin6) is HI (and it's tied to 5V in the schematic), then you need a negative pulse to latch in the data. The guide sort if implies the opposite; that the Clock signal should be sitting at low, and you pulse it with a HI 5V signal to latch in data. I've checked signals and U2P6 ("P") is tied high as per the schematic, and CLK pin 5 idles at 5volts and does toggle when a tone is played (so I'm assuming it's toggling low, then high again).... Also, the same signal goes to U7 to generate the pulse into the analog circuit, which also appears to be set up to expect a Low pulse to generate a sound pulse.

Based on the circuitry then, it looks like the Clock or data latching line is supposed to be high and pulse low to both lock in a tone data, and trigger the pulse to the analog circuit. This seems contrary to the repair guide which is saying I should pulse it high to latch in stuff.

Any thoughts or prior experience? Is that version of the guide incorrect? Was it for a different version of the Sound Card? Does anyone have a different version of the repair guide that gives different instructions to latch in data?

#57 6 years ago

Your problems are digital not analog.

U11 is used as a frequency divider with a single input. Since some tones seem correct, it's probably ok and your problems are upstream before things reach U11.

The truth table in the 4042 datasheet (U2) indicates when pin 6 (polarity) is high and pin 5 (clock) is high, then the Q output will always reflect whatever state the D input is. i.e. the D inputs just pass straight through to the Q outputs and aren't latched/memorised until the clock input transitions from high to low.

The Solenoid/Sound Bank signal usually sits low in attract/game mode to default select the solenoid board and this allows the 555 timer on the sound board to clamp the mixed output of U11 so the sound board stays quiet. When the game needs to play sounds, the Solenoid/Sound bank signal will pulse high, or in sound test mode it stays high. In this mode, whatever the state of the Solenoid/Sound address signals are, they get transferred straight from the inputs of U2 through to the outputs of U2 and downstream.
This Solenoid/Sound Bank signal on the sound board also goes through transistor Q2 which inverts it to meet the input trigger requirements of the 555 timer.

At this stage it might be an idea to connect the sound board with a speaker to a bench power-supply. Tie the Solenoid/Sound Bank signal high and manually jumper through all 32 binary states on the Sol-Address signals at the J1 connector. Start from 00000 and increment up to 11111. The board should play back tones in increasing pitch as you increment the binary input state.
If you can't do it on the bench, do it in the machine by removing the SOL-Address signals out of the sound board J1 connector and jumper those signals on the sound board manually to increment through the binary states. Do it in sound test mode so the Solenoid/sound bank signal is high.

You can then start to map out when wrong tones are being played and decipher the logic causing it.

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

The Solenoid/Sound Bank signal usually sits low in attract/game mode to default select the solenoid board

That's what seems wrong to me... the idle state of the select line seems to be high instead of low. Makes me think MPU has issues or inverted signal. Using a two bits dash 32 mpu. Wondering if they have that signal inverted compared to original. Solenoids seem to work correctly though. I'll check again. Already replaced U2 and U1 and swapped U3 prom... and all lines are not stuck or tied to each other. not much digital left to work through.

#59 6 years ago

My TwoBits dash 35 MPU board has no problem - their board is a direct replica.

Think of the Solenoid/Sound Bank signal as a device enable signal, and not a strobe/latch signal.
When it's low, the SDB is enabled to respond to the solenoid/sound address select signals.
When it's high, the Sound Board enabled to respond to the solenoid/sound address select signals.

If this signal is staying high in sound test mode, it can't cause incorrect tones. That will be a problem on the path of the solenoid/sound address select signals from the J1 connector through the logic to the input of U11. BTW have you tested that transistor Q3 is ok?

To summarise, what have you replaced?

#60 6 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

BTW have you tested that transistor Q3 is ok?

To summarise, what have you replaced?

Q3 seems to be OK, inverting Address E signal before sending to U3.

So far I've replaced

U3 Prom (no change - part was not bad)
U2 latch (no change - part was not bad, was actually U1 signal to it)
U1 Inverting buffer (confirmed there was a bad inverter... stabilized tones but still incorrect)

Right now I'm debugging the draining tone sequence. Set up for 49K with a 5X bonus.
Recorded with an iPhone, and then can slow it down and follow the sequence to see when tones are increasing or decreasing in frequency.
Data you provided is very helpful.
Tones increase in a sequence of 8, then drop down and start again for another 8 tones but starting at a slightly higher frequency.
Confirmed that for the big drops after an 8 tone sequence, the frequency drops correctly.
However intermediate tones in an 8 tone sequence don't all increase.
Working out which ones decrease instead of increase, and will work backwards to see which tones / hex / bits are suspect.

#61 6 years ago

In the drain sequence, the first three tones are
__________D 12345678
00 downcount 11100010 (226 clock cycles)
02 downcount 11010110 (214 clock cycles)
04 downcount 10111110 (190 clock cycles)

and are supposed to be increasing in frequency (less clock cycles for downcounters U4/U5 to count)

I find that 02 and 04 are actually lower frequencies than the first tone 00
This means that they need more than 226 clock cycles
The only way they could have more than 226 clock cycles is if bits D2 and D3 are 1 instead of zero

D1-D4 go to U5

I did some more logic probing around U4 and U5.
On both U4 and U5 pin 12 "0" are toggling - looks good
On U4 pin 1 is toggling (Q3 latch in the IC) which is the clock to U5 - looks good
On U4 pins 7, 9, and 15 are also toggling (not used, but are the outputs of the intermediate latches in the downcounter) - looks good
On U5 pins 1,7,9, and 15 are NOT consistently toggling as expected if the chip were downcounting correctly.
Depending on the tone/data any of those bits may toggle, or be either stuck high or stuck low.

Suspect that U5 is not downcounting correctly, but just resetting itself on each PE pulse to start the countdown again. Each latch captures the Data Input again, but then some don't count down. Some of the 4 latches may be working, but others blown. Unless I'm missing some facts, I think all of the intermediate latches should be toggling as the chip counts down.

Will order some MC 14526's and see what happens.

Can anyone confirm with a logic probe (or emulator?) that for both U4 and U5 pins 1,7,9 and 15 should all be toggling on both chips, and none of them stuck either high or low.

Thanks!

MC14526B (resized).JPGMC14526B (resized).JPG

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

I find that 02 and 04 are actually lower frequencies than the first tone 00

Could it be that tone 00 is too high, and tones 02 and 04 are ok?

I've got to head out so will come back later on your other questions.
Presuming you don't have any shorted/open traces on the board, then U4 and U5 are the last items on the list that could cause your problem that haven't been changed.

#63 6 years ago

... yes possible that 00 is too high, but
02 is lower than 00 (implying D3 is wrong)
04 is even lower than 02 instead of increasing again. (implying D2 is wrong, which would give it a higher number than 02)
05 10101010 and
07 10001111 both increase in frequency OK, but then
09 01111111 decreases in frequency again... again implying D1 is wrong... also U5
I went through the whole sequence, just flagging when tones that were supposed to increase in pitch, actually decreased.

02 is only used once
04 is incorrect both times it's used in the middle of a sequence
09 is incorrect each time it's used
0A 01111010 is incorrect each time it's used
0E 01011111 is incorrect both times it's used
10 01011010 is incorrect each time it's used
a couple others in the last sequence as well but it's hard to tell.

#64 6 years ago

... I guess key outstanding question is:

Do U5 pins 1,7,9,15 consistently pulse for any tone data on the bus (the same way U4 pins 1,7,9,15 do).
If they do, then that's my next culprit.

#65 6 years ago

I don't have a Paragon/Dolly Parton/Globe Trotters, but my game with the -32 sound board pulses on pins 7, 9 and 15 at U5 pretty much the same as they do respectively on U4 during sound test mode.
Pin 1 of U5 I can see its behavior ties more to what tones (high or low) are being generated. It's not a constant high/low/pulse like the other pins.

#66 6 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

... I guess key outstanding question is:
Do U5 pins 1,7,9,15 consistently pulse for any tone data on the bus (the same way U4 pins 1,7,9,15 do).
If they do, then that's my next culprit.

during sound test all U5 P1, 7, 9, 15 should all be consistently pulsing. It might change a little bit with the kind of notes that are playing, but pulse light should be blinking on a logic probe. If its not and the inputs look ok, i would replace U5. I imagine there is also CD4526B out there that you can use.

#67 6 years ago

Sorry... clarification. Not necessarily in test mode. At the end of any tone played the data stays on the bus and U4/U5 just keep looping their count, and U11 keeps providing its signal into the analog circuit. The note is not heard because u7 generates a pulse that decays to play the note.. clock signal both latches the data and generates the pulse to play the sound at the same time. The sound decays away but the counters keep on counting.

So my query was whether u5 pin 1,7,9,15 are pulsing after a single note is played and then ended. It's still counting the data over and over which should create a consistent pulse for a logic probe to pick up. Should be present on each of the 4 internal latches outputs (3 of which are not used)

#68 6 years ago

... my logic probe has hi and lo indicators to show signals toggling but also has another light that will just flash if the signal toggles with a constant frequency ... for indicating clock like signals. With paragon in sound test mode the hi/lo lights toggle as the data changes, but the "pulsing" indicator will only come on for clock signals. After a note is played and silent again, the looping counters will create a constant pulse on several other signals (just because they're looping)...the counters and u11 output signals.

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from srcdube:

... my logic probe has hi and lo indicators to show signals toggling but also has another light that will just flash if the signal toggles with a constant frequency ... for indicating clock like signals. With paragon in sound test mode the hi/lo lights toggle as the data changes, but the "pulsing" indicator will only come on for clock signals. After a note is played and silent again, the looping counters will create a constant pulse on several other signals (just because they're looping)...the counters and u11 output signals.

U5 Q outputs will stop when the clock pin is not selected. Which I imagine means the U5 Q pins remain pulsing until the sol/snd bank select pins toggle. U4 Q4 clocks the U5. U4 is clocked by the sol/snd bank select.

When my Dolly boots up and sits in attract mode The U5 Q pins are sitting low. The startup noise plays stuff starts to pulse then they go back low. BUT! when i start a game the Q pins pulse and remain pulsing while the ball is sitting in the shooter lane. Probably because the software does not change the SOL/SND bank select pin until it needs to fire a solenoid.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

U5 Q outputs will stop when the clock pin is not selected. Which I imagine means the U5 Q pins remain pulsing until the sol/snd bank select pins toggle. U4 Q4 clocks the U5. U4 is clocked by the sol/snd bank select.
When my Dolly boots up and sits in attract mode The U5 Q pins are sitting low. The startup noise plays stuff starts to pulse then they go back low. BUT! when i start a game the Q pins pulse and remain pulsing while the ball is sitting in the shooter lane. Probably because the software does not change the SOL/SND bank select pin until it needs to fire a solenoid.

I took a look at the schematics again, and believe the following is happening.

U1 C and D inverters are connected up to provide a constant free running on board clock into U4. Per the notes there, that clock is somewhere between 1-3us or 1MHz-333Khz, depending on the tolerances of the resistors, capacitors, and IC.

U4 and U5 are connected as "cascaded" downcounters... U4 has the lower 4 bits, and U5 has the higher 4 bits. When U4 has counted down from whatever it started with, it's Q4 signal will clock one pulse into U5 to make it count down 1 more, U4 rolls over to 1111 again and starts counting again. So essentially the onboard clocks from U1 are clocking both U4 and U5 to count down the number provided from U3. (think of U4/U5 as one long IC).

U3 is actually much simpler than I originally thought. For each of the 32 possible input combinations on the Data bus, it simply puts out an 8 bit number on to the downcounters. The downcounters will then provide a single pulse to U11 each time the U4/U5 count down that number to zero. When that happens, the "0" signal is also fed back to the PE signals of U4/U5 which has them load the 8 bit data from U3 again, and it counts down the same number again. Depending on how big (low frequency) or small (high frequency) that number is, you get a different note.

I expect this is what is happening that results in U5 bits "not pulsing" during attract mode and after startup sequence. There is only one combination of data to U3 that provides all zeros to the upper 4 bits (ie. U5). That is for when the data input 15 or 0F hex. In that case, it's only providing a "1" to the counters: "0001" to U4 and "0000" to U5. In that case, U5 outputs will never toggle. The cascaded counters only need to count 1 pulse, then they reset themselves. This is what I expect is the "null" value whenever the game starts up, or the game over sequence (see in post 52 that the sequence ends with 0F). For any other data input / note played, there is an initial value going into at least one of the bits to U5, so you will see pulsing on it's outputs.

Because the U1 onboard clock is free running and not controlled by the MPU at all, there will always be something counting down on U4/U5 and feeding into U11 and then the analog circuit. The only reason you don't hear it, is because you also need a pulse into U7 that feeds a 12V signal through the analog circuit and picks up the frequency from the U11 on the way. I accidentally blew Q2 which controls the pulse generated by U7, so that U7 was providing a constant signal to the analog circuit. What happened is that depending on the note played (ending on 0F or something else), it would keep on playing that note until you hit something else. PITA... but helped me understand why I wasn't constantly hearing sound when U4/U5/U11 are always "on" and counting.

So... data is always clocking on U4/U5/U11... unless the input from the MPU is 0F which will provide no sound (or it's too high for us to hear), and for 0F you will also only see data clocking on U4 (Q4 pin 1 and "0" pin 12), since U5 is being fed 0000 and has nothing to count. What I have been doing is after the startup sequence, slide down the glass a bit, and push a few of the rollovers and bumpers at the top of the board to generate a note... whatever that note is, the data lingers on U4/U5/U11 to aid in testing them.

#71 6 years ago

... sidebar...

It was also confusing to me that the U2 4042 datasheet indicates that whatever is on the ABCDE bus will constantly pass through to U3 and the down counters U4/U5/U11 and only latches it in when it gets a negative pulse edge on the clock. I would have expected that data is only latched in whenever the MPU wants to send a note to play. However again, this is simpler than I thought it to be... the sol/sound bus is only ever talking to one or the other (either the solenoids or the sound card), and by default it's talking to the sound card. The MPU doesn't "latch" the note it wants to play, it's actually latching that last note it was told to play, because it wants to talk to the solenoids (negative on Select line).... the select line toggling is not saying "play this note", it's saying "the next data is not a note, so don't play it, keep playing the prior note).

So by default, the ABCDE bus is always sending a note to the sound card until it wants to tell the solenoids to do something. We just don't hear it because either a) the "sound" played is the null value 0F or b) it still needs to wait for the toggle on the select line which also sends the 12v pulse from U7 through the analog portion of the circuit to actually play the note.

#72 6 years ago

Excellent write up!

You can hear a 5X 43,000 bonus countdown in the below video for reference - of course their multivibrator clock formed by U1 will probably be tuned a little different to your board. But you can save it and speed it up/slow it down with an audio editor so your correct tones match. Synchronise it to the bonus lights.
You will then be able to see what frequency the bad tones are playing at which may help diagnose where the problem is.

Actually, I would have given you a Paragon bonus countdown recording from MAME earlier on (I could have tuned the multivibrator clock frequency in emulation to your board) but your issue here seems to have exposed a separate bug in the audio driver code that I haven't had time to fix.

1 week later
#73 6 years ago

...I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It's the smell of...

VICTORY!

Nailed it. U5 was my final piece of the puzzle. All sounding the way it's supposed to.

#74 6 years ago

Excellent news, well done!

#75 6 years ago

For those of you who, in the future, skip to the end of the RESOLVED topics.

Big thanks to Quench, Barakandl, and Inkochnito for being constant readers and providing direction; as well as others who contributed.

This is applicable to Paragon, Dolly Parton, and Harlem Globetrotters that use the same soundcard and U3 prom, but also to other Bally pins that use the same soundcard with different proms.

Two IC's were defective:

U2 Latch
U5 DownCounter

Symptoms:
Sound card is working, but tone sequences sound partially incorrect depending on which notes get triggered.
Drain tone sequence in particular did not exhibit a progressively increasing series of notes (for Paragon)
Also tones were a little unstable and not repeatable, and affected by the logic probe when checking signals around U1/U2/U3

Debugging:

Check U2 latch outputs on the data path between the connector, and U1 and U3 with a logic probe, while playing the test tone sequence. U2 outputs should toggle solidly Hi/Lo with bright alternating colors. On the bad pin, the hi was a solid color, but the lows only flickered the lo indicator, and didn't reflect a solid bright low like other good signals on the chip. Also, adding the probe in the path sometimes affected the tone sequence played (either helped or hindered the low signals becoming more or less "lo"). The failed output (Q3bar pin 15) didn't toggle solidly, while it's non-inverted output (Q3 pin 1) did, as did the other outputs. Replacing the chip stabilized the tones played while in test mode, but didn't correct the actual notes played.

Check U4/U5 outputs with a logic probe that has an additional "pulsing" indicator to indicate that a repeatable signal (like a clock) is being seen. In play mode (not test sequence) triggering a sound (bumper or rollover) will leave the "note" playing on U4/U5/U11 even though you cannot hear it. U4 and U5 pins 1,7,9 and 15 should ALL be pulsing. (Quench actually told me this in an early post but I missed it and didn't check until much later). The note cannot be heard anymore because U7 provides a decaying pulse into the analog circuit that drives the note into the speaker. However after the note has been played, the downcounters keep repeating, so their outputs will look like periodic pulses to the logic probe. U4 pin 6 is the ClockIn which will be a fast pulse. U4 pin 12 sends pulses (slower than clock) into U11 when the downcounters complete a cycle, but will sound the same for any note played, even if it's incorrect. U4 and U5 pins 1,7,9 and 15 (Q1-Q4) are not connected, but are intermediate latches in the downcounters and should also be pulsing like a clock if the counters are working correctly. In my case, all of those pins on U4 were pulsing, but they were not pulsing on U5, some being either stuck hi or lo. This causes U4 to count either too fast or too slow. The final output still pulses and resets the counting sequence, however it has counted incorrectly so the overall note played is incorrect.

Other lessons learned:

Incorrectly replaced U3. Initial shot in the dark since it provides the tones to the rest of the circuit, and the sticker on it was missing so I didn't know which prom it was. However in hindsight the board itself had factory stickers indicating it was the correct version of the board, and all of the B/C jumpers and specific missing resistors and caps for that board variant were correct and didn't looked manually reworked; so no real reason to think the prom was incorrect.

Incorrectly changed U1, thinking that the input (from U2) was toggling correctly, but the U1 output was stuck low. Actually, the input was not toggling sufficiently low to trigger the inverter and the real problem was U2.

As noted above, in most cases the digital circuitry (U1,U2,U3,U4,U5,U11) are still actively playing the last note, even though you don't hear it, which helps debugging. (except if the prior tone sequence ended with the null note)

Data inputs A-D are applied to U3 as provided at the connector because they are inverted twice (ie. Hi on the connector is hi at U3)
Data input E is applied to U3 inverted from the signal at the connector, as it only goes through one inverter (Q3) (ie. Hi on the connector is Lo at U3)

U3 only stores "notes", not whole sequences of sounds. The MPU sends a series of notes that the soundcard plays one at a time. U3 is simply providing a number to count... the higher the number, the lower the frequency of the note played. One "note" is a null signal with a count of only 1 that is sometimes used to generated no tone at the end of a sequence. The counters will keep repeating just the last note played in the sequence, so triggering different sounds (rollover, bumper, etc...) will leave different data on U3 inputs/outputs to help debug... not as good as providing your own specific data, but still aids in debugging the flow of data signals (U1,U2,U3) and the outputs from the prom, and through the downcounters (U4/U5) and divider (U11)

U2 outputs on their own don't have sufficient drive for inputs to U3. The U1 inverting buffers are required to sufficiently drive U3 inputs, and they cannot be "bi-passed" by using the equivalent non-inverted output of U2.

Although U1 and U8 are the same chip, U8 is being used differently in the analog circuit and has no power to it. You cannot re-route signals through spare U8 inverters, in place of a blown U1 inverter.

The MPU shares the data bits A-D between the SoundCard and the Solenoid drivers. By default it is always talking to the SoundCard so U2 is configured to pass through all data to U3, and will only "latch" the last note played whenever the MPU wants to talk to the solenoids (when J4P10 "clock" toggles low).

3 years later
#76 3 years ago

Just got started on my paragon project. Got it to fire up and play tonight. I’m getting some extra sounds like you describe and some of them are a lot higher pitch than they should be. I don’t like throwing parts at stuff but this is way above my head haha. I will try u2 and u5. Glad you figured yours out, hoping this fixes mine *fingers crossed

1 week later
#77 3 years ago

It was a pita and a few months to fix but very satisfying to get it playing right again. Still working fine. Hope you’re able to find it. Very interesting to go through and figure out how it all worked... nothing at all like I thought, much simpler in fact.

Let us know if you get it or need some more help resolving .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Machine - For Sale
Pipe Creek, TX
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 77 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-paragon-generating-extra-tone-sequences/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.