Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Board Diagram (resized).png
20220516_111558 (resized).jpg
20220516_111509 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Hey everyone,

I've been working on my Bally Paragon for a little bit now. It was in secure storage for a few decades, but it's in pretty good shape despite that. I've got everything working except the bottom left pop bumper.

20220516_111509 (resized).jpg20220516_111509 (resized).jpg

Here's a picture of the coil

20220516_111558 (resized).jpg20220516_111558 (resized).jpg

And heres a picture of the solenoid driver board diagram

Board Diagram (resized).pngBoard Diagram (resized).png

What I've tested:

1. I put the machine in switch test mode and tested the bumper switch, it read it with no issue, and I double checked that it was displaying the correct switch number on screen

2. I put the machine in solenoid test mode, the bumper coil does not fire.

3. I manually fired the coil by grounding the Q2 transistor, the coil does fire reliably.

4. I removed the driver board and tested the transistor with a multimeter, diode reading was between .4 / .6, and was about the same as the rest of the transistors.

5. I did a quick test of the related diode and resistors, I came up with similar results to all other resistors and diodes. However, I wasn't able to find concreate information on how to do these test, so they may have been done incorrectly.

Additional Information:

After I removed the board to check the Q2 transistor, when I put the board back in, the bottom bumper coil was suddenly working. It fired in both sensor and solenoid testing modes, however, when I started a game it stopped working. When I rebooted the machine, it was no longer firing at all.

This is the last major issue this machine has, so please help me anyway you can so I can play a nice game of pinball.

#2 1 year ago

I'm wondering if there's a connector issue.

If you follow those wires to the board and wiggle the connector and what-not, will the coil fire when you press the switch?

If so, you may need to replace a connector (hopefully not the pins).

#3 1 year ago

Is there a disc capacitor still attached to the pop bumper switch? if so, clip one of the legs and see if the switch starts working.

#4 1 year ago

Messing with the connector doesn't seem to change anything.

The capacitor was still attached, I clipped a leg, but unfortunately it didn't fix the bumper.

#5 1 year ago

You'll get better replies on one of the Solid State forums. This is Electro Mechanical.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/how-to-efficiently-ask-for-pinball-repair-help-em

#6 1 year ago

Oh so you are right, sorry hadn't realized that Paragon was a really early SS system. Thank you for letting me know.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-paragon-1979-bottom-pop-bumper-won-t-activate?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.