Bally outhole problem

By LithoMike

10 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

Hello All,

Working with my first pinball, Bally EM Hang Glider. After I had the thing a few weeks the ball would intermittently die in the outhole and also the playfield kicker hole. Intermittently turned into constantly. I dismantled the entire game down to the bare box. I cleaned and checked the clearance of each and every switch and fixed a few issues along the way like broken fuse holders. I reassembled the game and it worked beautifully, now during play, the ball just died in the outhole. I feel like Clark Griswold rechecking all of his Christmas lights. I'm ready to tee off on my plastic Santa. Someone please help!!!!

Thanks!

Mike

[attachment=1310359,]
#2 10 years ago

[attachment=1310364,null]

[attachment=1310364,]
#3 10 years ago

After thinking more about the problem and poking around the 'net, I think maybe a better way to ask the question is why isn't the game advancing to the next player?

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from LithoMike:

After I had the thing a few weeks the ball would intermittently die in the outhole and also the playfield kicker hole.

Assuming the relays and switch contacts are adjusted correctly this is where i would go next.
Both kicking solenoids (hole kicker & outhole kicker) are related to the make and break sw. on the Score Motor Cam # 7c.
More outhole kicker info>> A ball on the outhole sw. at the start of the game will energize thru a normally closed sw. on the Scm #1d and will stay energized thru its own holding and a n.c. Scm cam #8c.

Quoted from LithoMike:

I think maybe a better way to ask the question is why isn't the game advancing to the next player?

The outhole relay will advance the player up unit thru the Scm cam #4b.

Look for Scm dirty/mal-adjusted contacts ,loose/missing leaf sw.plastic pegs ......

#5 10 years ago

LithoMike, just to clarify what you said: you start a game just fine, put the ball in play, then the ball drains and nothing else happens (game doesn't register that ball has drained, doesn't advance to next ball/next player, doesn't kick ball out to shooter lane, etc). Correct?

#6 10 years ago

Thanks for your advice Pin-it! Very helpful! I'll begin checking your recommendations, ASAP! Gotta get this ship back at sea before guests start arriving next Thursday.

Quoted from textrivers:

LithoMike, just to clarify what you said: you start a game just fine, put the ball in play, then the ball drains and nothing else happens (game doesn't register that ball has drained, doesn't advance to next ball/next player, doesn't kick ball out to shooter lane, etc). Correct?

Textrivers, you are correct. I can start the game fine. As an example, if two people are playing and the second player just drained say their third ball, the ball will all of a sudden remain in the outhole and will not advance to the next player. Or if the game really wants to be disagreeable, it will register the correct number of players at the beginning of a game but not kick a ball into the shooter lane to begin. There seems to be no rhyme or reason as to when it will or won't produce a ball.

I'm new to this hobby, but have been spending a great deal of time trying to study Clay's information and grasp an understanding of schematics as quickly as possible to get up to speed. I'm sure the answer is right in front of my eyes but I'm not smart enough to see it.

Also, I hope I'm not making a mess of the forum. I included the schematic with my original post, but I don't see an attachment icon next to my post. Just call me Forrest Gump!

Thanks all, for taking the time to help!!!!

#7 10 years ago

I'd start by re-checking the switch under the outhole. Visually inspect the leaves, contact points, and wire connections. Give the wires a gentle pull as well, and make sure nothing's loose -- a loose wire can cause an intermittent connection that'll drive you CRAZY trying to track it down.

If that all looks okay, I'd check the Outhole Relay if your game has that, or whatever relay has to engage in order to move to the next ball/player. Try again to post the schematic, if you don't mind -- it didn't seem to work the first time.

#8 10 years ago

[attachment=1317376,null]

[attachment=1317376,]
#9 10 years ago

Here is where I would start...

Assuming the outhole switch itself is good (and clean):

Check schematic and look for all "Normally Closed" switches in line with the outhole switch. Clean and check the gap of each of these. Makes sure the screws are tight on the switch stacks. Check continuity from outhole switch back through these normally closed switches.

Does the score motor run and turn even though the ball doesn't kick out? If so check score motor switches that activate the outhole relay. Also check normally closed switches on outhole relay.

Parker

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-outhole-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.