(Topic ID: 197281)

Bally or Williams? Which was your top manufacturer?

By Ordinal

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Milltown
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Both companies made some excellent machines, and their merger only made them stronger.

But, I'm curious, who was your "money-maker" of the duo?

I cannot deny that Williams had some fantastic and persisting ideas. Games like Taxi, Medieval Madness, Funhouse, the Pinbot series, and High Speed still live on the the hearts of many to this day. Star Trek: The Next Generation is getting the most playtime out of me, personally.

However, in my opinion, Bally was the true king of Pinball. The Addams Family was one of the top sellers of all time, and even got me into playing pinball. The Twilight Zone is one of the most beloved machines ever created. Attack from Mars, Theater of Magic, and Safecracker are also highly regarded.

So, I must ask; in your opinion, which of these two were the powerhouse behind the Bally/Williams brand?

#2 6 years ago

I'm EM, and in the 70s I feel Bally start making its move.

#3 6 years ago

Williams. From Space Station until they closed. They were the money earner for me.

LTG : )

#4 6 years ago

Williams by a hair.

#5 6 years ago

Since they are the same company after 1988 the point seems a lil moot, but in the spirit of the question, I usually seem to like Bally branded games a little more. Its like 51/49 tho.

#6 6 years ago

Neither. Gottlieb

#7 6 years ago

Bally for sure.

#8 6 years ago

I like them both the same. Lots of great times on both growing up. We used to race to play Comet when it came out

#9 6 years ago

I think it depends on the generation. I never operated, only play, and here's my opinion:

EMs: Gottlieb was the undeniable king. Ed Krynski designs coupled with Gordon Morrison artwork made for killer games.

Early Solid State: Bally ruled this era. Their board set, daring designs, and rather complex rules really made them stand out. Sure, Williams had Firepower, and Gottlieb had Black Hole, but do either of them really compare to games like Centaur?

Later Solid State: Williams 100%. And then when Williams bought Bally and merged design teams, they got even better. From Space Shuttle onward, they had fantastic ideas that were executed so well.

#10 6 years ago

I like most pins from the 80s. Manufacturer never made much of a difference to me but I have owned more Williams machines than any other manufacturer so I guess that the evidence is apparent.

#11 6 years ago

Basically bally/Williams system 11 pins up untill pinball2000 I still consider the most fun and best pins ever built.

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from seshpilot:

Neither. Gottlieb

Wow, I had no idea Gottlieb was merged into B/W. Learn something new every day...

#13 6 years ago

Wow!!! Very good question indeed. I love both companies, so I can't say. I do own more Bally pinballs than Williams at this time.

#14 6 years ago

Gotta give the slight edge to Williams because BSD is my favorite pin.

#16 6 years ago

Bally for sure in the early SS era, but they had started to slip by the Bally-Midway period, just when Williams had really started to up their game.

#17 6 years ago

You know they just flipped the name back and forth, right? First they'd make a Williams, then they'd make a Bally. So there's no difference, it was random chance.

The only exception I think is JPOP asking for his games to be Ballys.

#18 6 years ago

Bally until early 80s.. then williams ..

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-or-williams-which-was-your-top-manufacturer?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.