(Topic ID: 185754)

Bally On Beam- Scoring loop mystery SOLVED!

By alveolus

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
On Beam (resized).jpg
0On-Beam-pinside-Talk-08-Save (resized).jpg
0On-Beam-pinside-Talk-07-Save (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
0On-Beam-pinside-Talk-06 (resized).jpg
0On-Beam-pinside-Talk-05 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
0On-Beam-pinside-Talk-04 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alveolus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

My first attempt at EM repair. So forgive my ignorance.

When the machine is turned on, the "target made" relay energizes and the score motor turns indefinitely.

You can still start a game at which point the reels reset and the ball kicks into the shooter lane. Meanwhile the game is continuously scoring 1000 points in multiples of 3. The space ship lights in the backbox advance in 3s and the space station unit stepper coil locks on.

I looked for any stuck playfield switches and could not find any. I disconnected the playfield plugs with no change in behavior.

One other tidbit. When the game is off, hitting the saucer switch will turn both motors one time and fire the saucer kicker.

Thanks for your help!

#4 7 years ago

I do have the schematics. Reading them is another story. I will try to check out these things in the morning.

#5 7 years ago

Another observation. With the game off, pressing the outlane rollovers creates a spark in the switches in the pocket(saucer) relay, which activates. I'm having difficulty figuring out how these two features could be linked from the schematics.

#6 7 years ago

Also, if I disconnect the middle Jones plug in the head, the score motor stops spinning.

#8 7 years ago
Quoted from polyacanthus:

With the game off or in game over? I don't think anything should be happening with the game off

This happens when the game is off.

#10 7 years ago

I buzzed out the terminals in the head from the plug that cut power to the score motor and found continuity between power and the yellow/brown wire. My assumption is that this is related to the problem but I don't know haw to narrow it down further.

#11 7 years ago

I wonder if my issue could be here. Seems like it could connect my pocket behavior, locked on space station step up solenoid, and locked on Target Made relay. Or perhaps I'm totally off base

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Look at the actual score motor on the schematic (probably on the left edge). Go through each switch that controls it, one at a time, and isolate with a piece of paper to figure out what is causing the run-on condition.
Remember there is a "run-on" switch on the motor itself. Isolate that one first.

I cannot find a diagram of the score motor in the schematics.

#16 7 years ago

Nothing on the left hand side, but I did find the indicator on the schematic at E7.

Which switch is the run-on switch on the motor?

#18 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The one closest to the motor on the diagram. Labeled "S0 Scm".
If I had to guess, your problem is likely with the switch or a mechanical issue in the "Outhole Trip Relay". Of course this is just a guess. There are twelve direct switches shown there that could be your issue. Plus maybe more that operat the "Score Motor Trip Relay". Then there is the possibility of a screw that fell off of something on the playfield and is shorting two wires on the bottom board. Also, solder splashes from work above that someone may have given up on troubleshooting if the game has never worked correctly for you.
All involve standard electrical troubleshooting techniques. I mentioned above how to troubleshoot this. Good luck.

Thanks. The machine seemed to be working ok at TPF.

So do I take it correctly that in your opinion the wacky behavior noted above is not directly related to the problem?

#20 7 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

The one closest to the motor on the diagram. Labeled "S0 Scm".
If I had to guess, your problem is likely with the switch or a mechanical issue in the "Outhole Trip Relay". Of course this is just a guess. There are twelve direct switches shown there that could be your issue. Plus maybe more that operat the "Score Motor Trip Relay". Then there is the possibility of a screw that fell off of something on the playfield and is shorting two wires on the bottom board. Also, solder splashes from work above that someone may have given up on troubleshooting if the game has never worked correctly for you.
All involve standard electrical troubleshooting techniques. I mentioned above how to troubleshoot this. Good luck.

Ok, I checked all the switches as best I know how but ran into an issue. Since many the switches are wired in parallel, if one is closed then they all read as closed. Basically all of these read closed, even when clearly open. I double checked the insulator tubings at the switch lugs and verified they were in position.

Please help me understand how to determine which is the faulty switch.

#21 7 years ago

Also, on these "trip relays" is the resting state latched or released?

#23 7 years ago

Visually, all of those suspect switches were open, yet all read closed with a meter. I did try the paper trick on a few switches that I wasn't sure about, but nothing changed the behavior. I suppose there could be something out of my sight that could be causing a short. Any tips on how to get better visualization of that crowded reset bank?

#25 7 years ago

Please tell me if I am thinking correctly or not.

So, if the target made relay is always energized, then either the target made relay switch must be stuck closed, or there must be some improper path through the space ship/space station/beam unit discs path?

#27 7 years ago

Yes. The "target made re" switch is a "hold in" switch located on the relay itself. It keeps the relay activated until the score motor switch 10A opens. Either the hold in switch is stuck closed (or has something like a loose screw or chunk of solder from inside the cab stuck in it?) Or the path through the discs is activating it as you said. If you manually move the beam disc to a new position and the target made relay stays on then it has to be the hold in switch.

So there is no continuity through the stepper array, so I'm back to finding the mysterious stuck closed switch. I can verify the run on score motor switch is open at the home position. I blocked score motor switch 12a which isolates the A,B,C,D, Pocket trip and Space station trip relays. After this they appropriately metered as closed. So this would seem to narrow my search to the 1st, 2nd, 3rd coin chute relays, the #1 reset relay and the Target made relay. Yet I cannot locate a short. With tape between all the switch blades and lugs I still get continuity across the switches.

Where to look next?

Other observations:
- closing a coin switch starts a game
- while the game is running, the space ship light in the backbox moves across the beams in 3 steps per cycle, but most of the time there are 2 space ship lights lit and moving simultaneously. This seems wrong.

#29 7 years ago

Is the target made relay still staying activated? If so have you isolated (put tape between) score motor switch 10a to see if it stops? Can you take a good pic of that relay?

Yes, the Target Made relay stays activated.

I will block 10a in the morning when I go back to CJs

#30 7 years ago

Progress! Kinda.

When I went to block score motor switch 10a, I found that it was in the wrong state. So this inspired me to buck up and attack the assessments of all 33 of the score motor switches, which I must say is no easy feat when trying to work around those bloody plastic switch lifters(see pic) If anyone knows an easy way to check these switches I would love to hear it. I found 3 or 4 switches that seemed to be in the wrong state and adjusted them the best I could.

Now the score motor(most of the time) no longer runs at power on. The start button starts a game normally with the exception that I have to manually reset the ball count.(it counts up just fine)

However, any scoring switch that triggers the target made relay starts a scoring loop that can be randomly anywhere between 1 and 19 cycles before it ends. I suspect a score motor switch is slightly out of tolerance somewhere but confirming that is difficult.

Any thoughts?

#32 7 years ago
Quoted from alveolus:

If anyone knows an easy way to check these switches I would love to hear it.

I have the answer to my own question. The bottom panel has a prop bar. If you prop up the playfield, scrub those plastic lifters and backlight them you can see through the plastic lifters and see the switch gaps!

#33 7 years ago

So, after meticulously cleaning and gapping the score motor switches, I still have the same behavior. Activating the 10, 100, or 1000 point relays starts the score motor cycling with the game scoring 3000 points per cycle. I cleaned the 1000 point relay switches and gapped them, but that made no difference. I guess I'll clean the backbox steppers next and see if that changes anything but once again I'm at a loss.

#35 7 years ago

Thanks! I think I'm getting closer.

More progress. The relays do not start the cycle. It's the space ship unit being advanced that starts the cycle. If I decouple the point relays from the spaceship unit, I can trigger the relays which then merely advance the score reels without cycling. If I manually trigger the step up solenoid on the spaceship unit then it starts cycling.

So it would seem that advancing the spaceship stepper closes the circuit which activates the target made relay

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#36 7 years ago

When the target made relate energizes, it closes the switch on the target made relay which activates the score motor.

With the Target made relay closed and the score motor spinning, switch 9C on the score motor closes activating the 1000 point relay.

As it turns out, the ninth cam has three bumps thus the 3000 points.

#37 7 years ago

So, the question is, what breaks the cycle? I suspect currently it just keeps running until the Space ship unit disc cycles to an open position. I wonder if the pocket trip relay is supposed to open. That is on the reset bank which does not move during this entire scenario.

I will have to dig a little deeper into the schematics.

#41 7 years ago

Thanks for the replies! Looks like I need to clarify a few things:

Doesn't something score 3000 points, like matching the space ship and station on the same beam or something?

Actually I am unfamiliar with the rules and haven't found much info online thus far. My understanding is that docking the Space Ship with the Space Station lights the center target for the add-a-ball. I do know that something is supposed to score 3000 points, (see above post) but I'm not sure what yet.

Also what about end of stroke switches on the steppers? Something waiting for them to activate and not getting the message?

The Beam and Space Station steppers are continuous. The Space Ship stepper has a limit switch in either direction that trips a relay which changes from the step-up to step-down solenoid and vice versa. This function works properly.

Sounds like the target made relay is still staying closed. If you insulated 10c then a route through the discs has to be activating it.

Yes, the Target Made relay is not getting cycled off. If you mean 10a, I agree with you. I think it is adjusted properly, but I will block it to be sure its not staying closed.

Quoted from HowardR:

Older games often have solidified grease in their stepper unit shafts. You can test that with the game unplugged by carefully moving and releasing each stepper unit's solenoid with your fingers.

The machine is very clean and the steppers advance easily. I still suspect some type of wiring/short issue between the Space Ship and the Space Station stepper due to the bizarre behavior when the cycle occurs.

Also, if someone could interpret the stepper interactions in the schematic(see above) and explain them to me, I would be most grateful

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from SkeebWilcox:

As an On-Beam fan from my first owning one back in '75, I have to ask a question: does your machine have the "more common" mushroom bumpers or the "rarer" targets? Just wondered...

Mushroom bumpers

#44 6 years ago

While trying to trace the strange game behavior, I discovered what appears to be misconnections between switches and expected events.

For example: the inlane switch is labeled "space ship to new beam" and outlines are "change space station"

Per the schematics, the inlane switches should trigger the pocket trip relay, but instead they activate the space station trip relay which activates the score motor and fires the space station step up solenoid 4 times.

Meanwhile, per the schematics the Outlane switches should activate the space station trip relay but instead they simultaneously activate both the pocket trip relay and either the A beam or D beam trip relays(alternates)

I've poured over the connectors and wiring to make sure I didn't plug it in wrong or perhaps identify some short but I can't find anything.

Could there be some logic error/switch problem that could create this behavior?

Thanks.

1 week later
#50 6 years ago

Xerico Thank you for your generous help, as always!

rolf_martin_062 Thank you so much for agreeing to help! I do believe the issue is clearly via the path through the steppers as blocking the nc Pocket Trip relay switch eliminates the scoring loop. I am anxious to map out and understand with you the connections between the steppers, lamps, etc. I will need to go pick up the machine and schematics from CJs(hopefully tomorrow) and bring it home to facilitate timely discourse.

The Beam and Space Station stepper units are continuous advance. The Space Ship stepper unit has limit switches that reverse the direction. Please clarify what is meant specifically by "position zero". Is it whatever space ship stepper position lights the Space Ship in the first column and whatever space station stepper position lights the space station in column 2, beam C?

thanks again,
Shawn

#52 6 years ago

Here are the full schematics

#53 6 years ago

Here is video of the game behavior.

Please forgive the quality of the filming.

#54 6 years ago

i removed the back glass and discovered LEDs in the space ship positions, many of which were bad. I replaced all of them with incandescent bulbs. Next I blocked all the switches in the Target Made relay so that I could start a game and manipulate the steppers without triggering other game state changes. I found that if all the bulbs were working, every position of the space ship stepper would pull in the Target Made relay. Strangely, most rows of space ships would have a second space ship lit in the same column, but one bulb would light slowly and dimly relative to the other. If this bulb were removed the relay would then de-energize until the bulb was replaced or the stepper advanced to a position with a pair of intact bulbs. I hastily made a video to demonstrate the behavior.

Any suggestions on what is causing this would be most appreciated!

#56 6 years ago
Quoted from SkyKing2301:

Forgive me for not reading through the entire thread in full detail, but just wanted to throw this out there if it'll help with troubleshooting -- the only time On Beam scores 3,000 points is when you 'dock' the space ship & space station. It awards 3,000 points, lights Special, and then moves both (I think) ship & station to new positions. (I can verify the moving of both later after I get home.)

Yes, that is what the game thinks is happening. I can confirm at this point that every position on the spaceship unit has continuity with every other position essentially. Thus every position of the spaceship docs with the space station and awards for 3000 points.

#58 6 years ago

Thanks Rolf!
I will shoot and upload another video when I get time this afternoon. In the meantime, can you comment after looking at the schematics what would cause the strange spaceship light behavior?

#59 6 years ago

I suspect that now all the bulbs are good that the scoring loop will never stop.

#61 6 years ago

Rolf. This situation that I have is that every single spaceship stepper position is electrically connected to every other position. Therefore the brown or blue or any other positions always complete the path to pull in the target made relay, UNLESS I remove the improperly lit bub, which effectively breaks the circuit.

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from rolf_martin_062:

The other possibility for the endless Scoring-Loop I see on "Initial-Current-Feeding" --- in post-51 I asked the "BIG question - DOES the Space-Station-Unit STEP" (((when the Target Made Relay pulls and the Motor is running))) - I ask again - DOES it step ?

Yes. The first video shows it steps.

When it does step: The combination of the three units change --- no more feeding "Initial-Current" to Target Made Relay.

The stepper positions change, but the electrical connection doesn't, therefore the "initial current feeding" is never interrupted unless I remove a lamp.

#64 6 years ago

Updated "gameplay" video

#65 6 years ago

Please sneak-in a stripe of paper into "Switch on Pocket-Trip-Relay" --- we have NO Initial-Current (as the switch is always open). Then manually press the armature of the Target-Made-Relay and let go --- the relay should stay pulling - the motor should run --- do You get the 3000 points and the Space-Station-Unit steps one step --- then the Target-Relay quits pulling ?

Thanks Rolf.

I placed a strip of tape in the nc Pocket Trip relay switch shown in the attached photo. I started a game and manually engaged the Target Made relay. The game scored the 3000 points and the score motor turned one cycle and stopped as score motor switch 10a opened which cut power to the Target Made relay and the relay disengaged. Interestingly, blocking the Pocket Trip relay switch also cut the power to the improperly lit space ship lamp. Im not sure what that means yet but it's late here and I'm tired.

I appreciate your help in the effort to solve this issue

Shawn

IMG_0799 (resized).PNGIMG_0799 (resized).PNG

#68 6 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

To me, after watches the last video, removing a lamp should not have any effect on the machine, a bit weird. I would be looking for a hack. followed by how the Beam unit has been assembled.
The lighting circuit and the rest of the machine do not interact.

No, but they use the same steppers. I'm hoping someone can give me some insight on where the paths could cross.

#72 6 years ago

Thanks Rolf. But the space ship has 40 positions(1 on each beam) Do you need me to check all 40?

My prediction is all 40 will energize the Target Made.

#74 6 years ago

Hi Shawn
the stepper "Spaceship" has 10 positions - named Position-Zero, Pos-1, -2, ... -9. See the first JPG in post-48, on the bottom I made burgundy-red dashes --- the Pos-Zero, Pos-5, Pos-9 are the "ones in question" --- test these positions first.
The second JPG in post-48 shows "brown" and "red" two positions where current is allowed to flow through the Spaceship-Unit - yes, there are more positions.
One of the three units may be bad - two may be bad - all three may be bad. I would like to learn "is the Space-Ship-Unit bad and let current pass - ALWAYS ?" Greetings Rolf

As I suspected, jumpering the Pocket Trip relay switch activates the target made relay in all space ship positions.

#75 6 years ago

Some more observations.

In the video in post #51, you can see that the lit spaceship is always on the beam(A, B, C, or D) that is currently lit. This is not the case on my machine. You can advance the Beam unit and it will change the lit Beam and moves the space ship to a new beam but not to the beam that is lit.

Also, perhaps another convoluted clue. If the Space Station is on the lit Beam, moving the space ship to the same column(any Beam)as the lit space station will light an additional Beam.

One example:
If Beam D is lit in the space station occupies position D4 then-
- space ship at pos A4 lights Beam B
- space ship at pos B4 lights Beam A
- space ship at pos C4 lights Beam C

This stuff makes my head hurt.

#77 6 years ago

Rolf, I think it would be helpful if we focus not just on the portion of the spaceship stepper that is involved with the target made pathway, but also the portion of the stepper that is involved in the lamps. There is clearly some interconnection here which is driving the abnormal behavior.

#80 6 years ago

Some photos and some observations here.

Here is a closeup of the Space Ship stepper showing where the wires enter the stepper and are then directed to the spider fingers
Top to bottom:
56 (white/brown)
57 (white/orange)
75 (orange/white)
63 (brown/yellow)
65 (brown/white)

75 is from the Pocket Trip relay in the Target Made circuit.

The other wires are the Beam wires from the Beam unit, presumably from the beam unit.

This photo shows these wires in the lamp circuit.

#82 6 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

Just wondering which relay is turning on and off when you remove a lamp from the backbox. Looking on the schematic, there are no lamps on the 50 volt side. Are the Jones plugs in the backbox plugged in correctly? Any hacks on the Jones plugs or receptacles? This issue should be resolved before looking into game play issues.
On post #64, if I saw the machine for the first time, I'd be doing standard troubleshooting for a constantly running score motor... When does the score motor keep running? When you start a game?

Thanks, score motor is fixed. The score motor is only turning during my gameplay video because the Target Made relay never disengages.

It is the Target Made relay that pulls in. When I remove the lamp that is improperly lit the target made relay disengages. Somehow power is getting from the Target made circuit into the matrix of space ship lamps. If I block the 75(orange/white) wire either in the Pocket trip relay or by lifting the associated spider finger from the stepper rivets, the bulb turns off.

#83 6 years ago

The following picture shows the space ship stepper fingers after I isolated them from the rivet board.

4 of the fingers are for the 4 beams and the fifth(yellow wire) is from the Target Made circuit.

Now if I check all the numerous lugs relative to each other they are almost all electrically connected. Maybe this is expected as they are all wired in parallel but it makes troubleshooting confusing.

#84 6 years ago

Are the Jones plugs in the backbox plugged in correctly?

I have checked and rechecked those plugs numerous times.

#86 6 years ago

Which lamps or lamps turn on and off the relay when you remove them. Is it a space station lamp or a space ship lamp?

Space ship bulbs. All of them.

Please see the video in post#54

#90 6 years ago

All the space ship lamps connect up to the beam unit disc. There are four connection points on the beam unit disc. Check the following wires that connect to the beam unit disc:
white/brown wire
white/orange wire
brown/yellow wire
brown/white wire
Those wires are from the 6 volt side...
Then check the wires on the beam unit disc from the 50 volt side. This has another four connection points. Check the following wires:
green wire
white/yellow wire
brown/yellow wire
orange/red wire
The beam unit is the first area where the 50 volt side and 6 volt side could bridge together.
Look at all the wire connections, the wire lugs, the wiper blades, etc. Make sure all the screws are tight on the beam unit disc...

I looked at the Beam unit where those wires attach but I was unable to appreciate any obvious problem.(see photos)

For fun I did check continuity between the 2 sets of wires and found that one of the 50v wires was always in continuity with the 4 6 volt wires, depending on the position of the stepper.

#93 6 years ago

To do a true continuity test you'd have to disconnect wires from the beam unit disc, which we don't want to do now. The 50 volt side and the 6 volt side do share a common ground circuit, so that might explain your results on the continuity test.
One area on the beam unit disc you should look closely at is on the other side of the brown plastic plate where all the wires are running between the contact wiper rivets. Look for any wires that are out of place, touching other wires, burnt wires, etc.
Another check you can do is a voltage reading at the beam unit disc. You'd want to measure the voltage from the 50 volt side and the 6 volt side. Take the voltage reading from the following wires:
6 volt side
white/brown wire
white/orange wire
brown/yellow wire
brown/white wire
50 volt side
green wire
white/yellow wire
brown/yellow wire
orange/red wire
Write down the voltages for each wire to see if the readings are consistent or if they vary in voltage. You'll probably need to rotate the beam unit disc in order to line up the wiper blades to determine the voltages. If the voltages are different, it will give us a clue at what wire or circuit might be the issue. You would think one of the wires would have a voltage readings of 56 volts if the 50 volt and 6 volt sides had been bridged together...

Please specify which wire or wires I am supposed to be measuring relative to. If I measure relative to the 50 V wire (Orange) I do measure 56 V at one of the lugs on the 50 V part of the Beam unit. The other lugs measure either 15 V or 35 V. These numbers rotate as you advance the beam unit.

#94 6 years ago

coordination of ABCD to 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9

Here is the sequence:

9 8 7 6 5 4 .3 2 1 7 3 0
B C D C B A B C D C B A

Then repeat. So, 12 steps

when You ONLY have insulated "fifth, yellow from Target-Made-Circuitry": Do You have same "hindering" as when You have the stripe of paper in the switch on Pocket-Trip-Relay ?

Yes

#97 6 years ago

So, we know the 50 volt side and the 6 volt side are being bridged together. The only volt readings you should be getting are approximately 50 volts and 6 volts at the beam unit... Choose one of the 8 wires that is showing 56 volts on the beam unit and trace it inside the beam unit to see where it leads. Also, there might be a short in the disc hub of the beam unit where all of the wiper blades intersect.
Other tests you could do would be to block off some of the wiper blade contacts and then do a volt reading on those 8 wires again just to see if that would give the correct 50 volt or 6 volt reading. You can also read the voltage from one of the space ship lamps, to see what type of voltage you are getting on the 6 volt side.
Since the beam unit is the first area where the 50 volt side and 6 volt side meet up, I would thoroughly look over the beam unit. You might have to unbolt the beam unit from it's base to get a closer look and/or partially disassemble the beam unit...

So the stack of fingers on the Beam unit have no bakelite insulation between them, thus they are all electrically connected. Can this be right? I do not see any obvious issue with the wiring otherwise.

#98 6 years ago

Does the Test-Lite REALLY lights up when You make test-connection ?

Yes. See video.

#99 6 years ago

When it comes to "Hard work checking": Lift the wiper-finger on the Space-Ship-Unit and lift the wiper-finger on the Space-Station-Unit --- then check for continuity all rivets (one by one) on Space-Ship-Unit to all rivets (one by one) rivets on Space-Station-Unit.

I removed all the wipers from the Space Station unit and am still getting continuity all over the place. Too much to map out without taking up the rest of the day.

Are you wanting me to measure current during gameplay somehow? I'm not sure I understand exactly what you want me to do.

#102 6 years ago

please do the testing shown in JPG-1 --- have the bedroom-test-light clipped-on at the fuse --- the other wire (hold on the insulation of the wire) tip-on (one by one) at all "my marked darkblue dots" --- does the testlight lights up everytime ? --- reallly ? Greetings Rolf

Yes. At every position the lamp lights, except for a couple where the space ship lamps appear to be blowing (no continuity through the bulb)

#103 6 years ago

Progress! And I feel really foolish now. After a while of staring at the Space Ship stepper I came to the conclusion that there was no way that the 50V was not going to go to the lamp "matrix". After all, the 6V lamp fingers and the 50V Target Made finger were travelling along the same rivets. While I should have done this days ago, I tracked the wires connecting the Space Ship stepper with the Space Station stepper and found that the corresponding rivets were on the left side of the disc where the 50V finger never could reach as it would hit the limit switch and reverse direction. So I flipped the "spider" 180degrees and it sort of worked properly. The problem is, the stepper still steps way outside the 50V section (36 or 37 steps) and into the lamp section in both directions. This immediately triggers the scoring loop until the 50V finger lands back in the 50V section.

Any thoughts?

On Beam (resized).jpgOn Beam (resized).jpg

#104 6 years ago

Hallelujah! I figured it out!!!!!

It wasn't the spider that was on backwards, it was that the stepper was on the opposite side of the limit switches. So I flipped the spider back to the original position and advanced the stepper while pulling the limit switch out of the way so that the actuator on the plastic could move past. Guess what? The stepper now moves exactly 10 spaces before reversing with the 50V finger on the proper rivets the whole time!

Crazy!

Thanks to everyone for all their effort and sorry for giving everyone the runaround as a result of my ignorance and the misdirection it caused. It is my first EM repair, after all

#107 6 years ago

I will summarize this thread for posterity.

Problem:
Initially, there was an issue with the score motor turning continuously. This was resolved with some adjustments of the score motor switches. The larger issue was that the machine would enter a scoring loop frequently whenever the space ship on the back glass was advanced. (See post#78 for an excellent summary of the rules) somehow the machine was behaving as if the space ship was repeatedly docked with the space station, at which point the Target Made relay would pull in and award 3000 points and then repeat a variable number of times. After some observation it became apparent that the 50V Target Made circuit was shorting through the lamp circuit.

Solution:
After many missteps, I surmised that the Space Ship stepper had somehow bypassed its limit switches and was operating an the wrong side of the stepper unit. Literally a 10 second fix to a problem that had vexed me for 3 weeks!

#109 6 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

What is annoying about this is Post two of this tread. Marcus wrote

So right from the start we all should have been looking for something that changed after a reset.

It doesn't surprise me that we all went down the rabbit hole with such an inexperienced person functioning as the translator. I don't regret any of it(mild embarrassment aside) as all the investigations and testing, dead ends or not, really was an invaluable educational experience. So, hopefully all the generous contributors aren't too terribly annoyed

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider alveolus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-on-beam-score-motor-running-at-power-on?tu=alveolus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.