PXL_20210511_225116272.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20210526_215839700.MP (resized).jpg
onbeam door slam (resized).jpg
on Beam (resized).jpg
wire (resized).jpg
PXL_20210512_182317118.MP (resized).jpg
PXL_20210511_234305139 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I just acquired this machine I know that it worked for the most part before it was stored.
When I turn it on I can hear humming but nothing lights up.
I have I setup manual that says if this happens ( on or more of the 5 anti cheat relays are not making contact. 2 are located on the front door and 3 are on the mounting plate) I cant locate any on the front door. Is there a problem if I somehow lock anti-cheat coil in the picture on. I briefly connected it and it started making noise but then got worried after a second and figured I would check here first. Will a fuse jus blow if a screw up or should I be more worried?

Also in one image you can see an orange and white wire I'm pretty sure it goes to an area that says third coin slot. I assume this mean this wire does nothing and I don't nee to worry about it.

PXL_20210511_234305139 (resized).jpgPXL_20210511_234305139 (resized).jpgPXL_20210512_182317118.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210512_182317118.MP (resized).jpganti cheat (resized).jpganti cheat (resized).jpgwire (resized).jpgwire (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

Is there not a slam tilt switch near the start button?

#3 2 years ago

when you power on the machine and either push the left flipper button -or- press the credit button (if there are credits) the "anti cheat relay" will engage, stay energized and lights will come on.

those fuse holders look like the origonals and probably should be replaced , there should also be a fuse holder by the transformer

In the images I circled in green the slam switches ( or anti cheat switches )
the one I circled in red I think is the "coin bounce" switch and I think is supposed to have a nub sticking through the bottom of the cabinet to turn off the G.I. (like your turning off the machine)

on Beam (resized).jpgon Beam (resized).jpgonbeam door slam (resized).jpgonbeam door slam (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#4 2 years ago

Thanks for you replies not sure what happened what when i looked the anticheat relay on for a while then let it unlock that machine seems to work mostly. space station wont move and beam c doesn't work at all. also whoever had it before the las person im pretty sure installed wrong size flippers, they are 3 inches i think they should be 2? the is no switch under the machine there is an on off switch on the front on the machine just under the plunger not sure who would have put it there but it works. also the bell in the back of the machine is gone

PXL_20210511_225102748.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210511_225102748.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210511_225116272.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210511_225116272.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210511_225142240 (resized).jpgPXL_20210511_225142240 (resized).jpgPXL_20210526_215839700.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210526_215839700.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210526_220136552 (resized).jpgPXL_20210526_220136552 (resized).jpg
#5 2 years ago

Yes, I would suppose 2" flipper bats not sure if Steve young has the entire flipper bat & shaft or not , I know for sure he has the plastic bats.

I cannot determine if there is supposed to be two bells or just one.

There are no backbox images on IPDB https://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1715 and the bally parts manual is unclear to me if there should be a 2'nd bell or not https://online.fliphtml5.com/vrtyz/axun/#p=74

my Joust only has one bell mounted on the side of the head , I tried adding a 2'nd bell on the match unit like my The Wiggler and determined one didn't belong there. the parts manual I linked above does not say "Not used"

another note: it apperas you have the "lift out mounting board" and it appears to have not been used. https://www.ipdb.org/files/431/Bally_1966_Capersville_New_Lift_Out_Mounting_Board_Instructions.pdf

#6 2 years ago

In your image it looks like your "move space ship" target is covered by a rubber

yeah he has the flipper shafts and pins, http://www.pbresource.com/flippers.html

do your mushroom bumpers have good 7/16" rubber rings? https://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0117.html

#7 2 years ago

Yes there was a rubber ring I assume since you pointed it out that it should not be there so i removed it. There is no rubber ring around any of my mushrooms I assume you are saying that there should be rubber there from that guide

#8 2 years ago

Yeah here's a pic of a mushroom bumper on my The Wiggler , a little bit of a pain to install it so it'd be ok to wait til it's playing reliably but get the 4(?) you need on your parts list.
IMG_2264 (resized).JPGIMG_2264 (resized).JPG

I noticed on your "center target relay" there seems to be an unattached wire. also it's difficut to determine if the spring is attached or not.
Bally on beam center target loose (resized).jpgBally on beam center target loose (resized).jpg

I will allow others in the community to chime in on where they think it should attach.
Bally on beam center target schematic (resized).jpgBally on beam center target schematic (resized).jpg

There is a video of the gameplay in the linked game for On Beam , it sounds as to only having one bell, there are other clicking sounds that I believe to be points scoring and the "00-90 match unit" moving.

While I was working on a friends Fireball that had no bells installed I kept a cow-bell on the glass I would ring by hand if I got the skill-shot there was a somewhat negative sensory reaction the first time they heard the crispness of the bells the first time they played it. A made backbox cover helped dampen the sound.

I still can't verify if a 2'nd bell is needed or not (they can be kinda pricey) Steve Young at Pinball Resource didn't have the 4" bell for the side he had Bally 3" bells that would go on the match unit. to have 2 different tones I was able to use a black Gottlieb bell on the side.

#9 2 years ago

which wire is unattached near the center target relay?

if you mean the black one, it's attached to the center terminal on the oddball three-terminal coil.

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from baldtwit:

which wire is unattached near the center target relay?
if you mean the black one, it's attached to the center terminal on the oddball three-terminal coil.

Oh , I didn;t know they made a dual wound coil that small now the schematic makes more sense to me.

1 week later
#11 2 years ago

Hi all so my current problem is 2 things nothing for beam c works on the playfield. I assume its a leafe issue. Similar issue none of the move space station on the playfield work when i trigger them. Here are some images of the leaves for beam c, as you can see they are very warped. I have noticed they they never touch when cycled. does someone know which should be connected when the machine is on or is there some other thing i can be doing.. I can not make the playfield work when the mounting board is raised to test them one by one. It seem like a bad idea to keep on raising and lowering the board to test each one t

PXL_20210611_000732395.MP (resized).jpgPXL_20210611_000732395.MP (resized).jpgbeam c lefs (resized).jpgbeam c lefs (resized).jpgc leafs (resized).jpgc leafs (resized).jpg
#12 2 years ago

you'll probably need to file the worst contacts.

after that, you can do all the gap adjustments with the panel lifted out of the cabinet by "tripping" the relay manually ... i.e. pushing the metal relay armature plate onto the coil top so the stack flops down.

a small screwdriver or something like a wooden meat skewer works well to jab under the switch lifting plate and push the armature plate.

reset the relay manually by lifting up the switch lifting plate.

repeatedly trip/reset the stack to check all the switches ... and ignore the drooping fish paper insulation between some switches.

in case it's not clear, the switch lifting plate is under the switch stack and parallel to the bottom board. The relay armature plate is perpendicular to the lifting plate and holds the lifting plate up in the reset position.

adjust the blades so after the contacts touch the short blades move visibly. The overtravel is self-cleaning and makes the connection more reliable.

watch out for applying so much tension on the short blades that the stack doesn't flop all the way down ... i.e. the plastic switch lifter should not be floating above the metal lifting plate.

it's sometimes necessary to tweak the long blades so they are helping push the stack down ... or are at least not trying to hold the stack up. The plastic lifter needs to stay in contact with the metal lifting plate all the time.

#13 2 years ago

I am in the process of 3d printing some of the plastic contact separators on the switch stacks. My On Beam is giving me trouble and I found a couple of these plastic brackets cracked and/or broken. If anyone needs one, hit me up. I almost have the design perfected.

#14 2 years ago

Maybe the wire is cut loose to prevent the special being collected, because the 3" flippers might block the ball from being plunged back into play from the swivel outhole kicker?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-on-beam-not-turning-on?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.