45 days ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 41 days ago by Pinprik
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Old Chicago Ball Count (resized).jpg

#1 45 days ago

My Bally "Old Chicago" will not play 2-4 players, but it will play 1 player with ouT any problems. If I press the credit button it advances coin unit ( a step up and step Down stepper) and clicks on the light for additional players. If I try and play 2 or 3 or4 players it plays ball # one for players 1-4 (usually in correct order but occasionally it skips player 2 or3 )and then continues to player Ball #1 and player 4 indefinatly

#2 45 days ago
    Quoted from Pinprik:

My Bally "Old Chicago" will not play 2-4 players, but it will play 1 player with ouT any problems. If I press the credit button it advances coin unit ( a step up and step Down stepper) and clicks on the light for additional players. If I try and play 2 or 3 or4 players it plays ball # one for players 1-4 (usually in correct order but occasionally it skips player 2 or3 )and then continues to player Ball #1 and player 4 indefinatly

If I remember correctly there's a coin unit, player up unit and ball count unit... I'd just make sure that each of these are:

1) stepping up/down properly without drag or hesitation.
    2) brass contacts on the unit are clean and lightly lubed (superlube is awesome for this).
    3) If there are any switch contacts on these units, that the switch contacts are clean, and work properly when engaged by the stationary pin.

#3 45 days ago

If I understand correctly the Ball Count unit only advances in one player games. If that's the case we know that the path in red is working correctly:
    Old Chicago Ball Count (resized).jpg
    When you add more players the Coin Unit steps up and the red arrow moves from position 1 into one of the other positions. When that happens the Ball Count will only step up once the Player Unit reaches the same position as the Coin Unit (e.g. player 2 for a 2 player game, player 3 for a 3 player game, etc.). Apparently none of the three paths to the right of the red path works.

I'd start by having a close look at the Player Unit to see if it's taking clean steps, if the wipers are making good contact with the contact rivets, if there are any loose wires, etc. It seems likely that the gray-red wire on the Player Unit isn't reaching any of the contacts for positions 2-4 but it could be other issues too. You may need to break out your meter to see if you can determine if there's a path through the Player Unit in each of its positions. Less likely but also possible is that the paths are broken through the Coin Unit.

/Mark

#4 45 days ago

Thanks for the suggestions. I will let you know what I find.

#5 42 days ago

I rechecked the three steppers with no findings. Do any of you know how this pbmachine Keeps track of the number of players and when it is time to return to player 1 and start ball2 or 3 etc? I think it is in the coin unit as that is the unit that moves up wth each added player but I am not sure how it does it . if I could understand the process I could figure out why it is not stopping on player 2 when there are two players selected, and going back to player 1 balll. #2

#6 42 days ago

The Coin Unit keeps track of how many players there are. When you start a new game it resets to position 1. Then, each time you press the replay button the Coin Unit takes another step up, up to 4 players. Once the game starts the Coin Unit stays put until the end of the game. In the schematic above imagine the red double ended arrow moving one position to the right for each player added. The arrow represents a wiper on the Coin Unit that determines which of four paths through the Coin Unit the circuit to the Ball Count S.U. (step up) solenoid has to use. So in a three player game for example that arrow will be over the 3 instead of over the 1 as shown and positions 1, 2 and 4 are not used.

The Player Up Unit keeps track of which player is currently playing. It starts the game in position 1 as shown. If it's just a one player game the Player Up Unit isn't used because each time the Outhole relay closes (when the ball drains) the circuit to the Ball Count step up solenoid is completed and the Ball Count advances to the next ball. That's the path in red.

In a multi player game the Player Up Unit takes a step up each time the ball drains. In a 3 player game for example when the 1st player drains, the Player Up Unit steps from position 1 to position 2. When the 2nd player drains, the Player Up Unit steps from position 2 to position 3. Now the Player Up Unit and Coin Unit are both in position 3 so when the 3rd player drains, the Outhole relay fires which completes the circuit to the Ball Count Unit step up solenoid through position 3 in both the Coin Unit and Player Up Unit.

Not shown above is the Player Reset relay which fires when the Ball Count Unit steps up. The Player Reset relay is what causes the Player Unit to reset back to Player 1.

So in your game, only the 1st path through the Coin Unit is working. When it is in positions 2-4 somehow the circuit to the Ball Count Unit never completes so you end up playing Player 4, Ball 1 over and over.

#7 41 days ago

Hi Mark
    Thanks for the help with my pinball machine. I got the scoring problem sorted out. It was one of the wipers of the player up stepper that was not making good contact.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 299.99
    Cabinet - Other
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 24.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 25.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Flashinstinct
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.00
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 27.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 29.99
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 45.99
    $ 40.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Arcade Arts
    $ 18.95
    $ 19.99
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 219.00
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 689.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 150.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 119.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside