Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

15871EDC-3765-4576-A0C1-9A832F05EE67 (resized).jpeg
3FC94B09-B8A3-4793-9CC0-117EFD9A5053 (resized).jpeg
CaptureOC-01 (resized).JPG
CaptureOC-00 (resized).JPG
#1 2 years ago

Been working on bringing a Bally Old Chicago back to life and had it playing and scoring without issue for a couple days however it has just developed an issue where the ball wont eject from the outhole to the shooter lane.

When a new game is started the score reels reset and the drop targets are raised, 1 bonus is added and instead of ejecting the ball at this point the sequence repeats. I can manually remove the ball which stops the loop and the game plays normally until the ball drains. When the ball drains the bonus does count down to 0 then adds 1 as it should, drop targets reset but then no ball eject.

If I trip the outhole relay the drop targets reset but no action from the outhole kicker. Is this indicative of a bad coil? I had no issues before and it seemed to just randomly stop working. I have the schematic but still not great at reading them. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

#2 2 years ago

Sounds like a switch is out of adjustment and stuck closed, scoring when it shouldn't. Or at least giving a bonus, because it should start at 0, not 1.

So for some reason while cycling to reset the ball, a bonus is awarded first which makes the game think the ball is already in play, hence no kickout. But as you discovered, it still plays fine.

So I'm not inclined to think "coil"... I would start with that freebie bonus clue. If the score reels don't advance a freebie, you can probably rule out most scoring switches, and focus on stepper units and relays.

#3 2 years ago

So the outhole kicker is controlled by the outhole relay and motor switch 7C.

If the outhole relay is pulling I would check the outhole relay switch with the Y-B (yellow Black) adn W-Y (White Yellow) wires.
(1st snippet)

If the outhole relay doesn't pull then Check the switches highlighted in Green in Diagram 2.
I would check the bonus Unit zero make or break switch 1st.

If it does pull but releases right away I would check the switch highlighted in Yellow. these should keep the outhole relay pulling until the out hole kicks out the ball.

CaptureOC-00 (resized).JPGCaptureOC-00 (resized).JPGCaptureOC-01 (resized).JPGCaptureOC-01 (resized).JPG
#4 2 years ago
Quoted from goingincirclez:

Sounds like a switch is out of adjustment and stuck closed, scoring when it shouldn't. Or at least giving a bonus, because it should start at 0, not 1.
So for some reason while cycling to reset the ball, a bonus is awarded first which makes the game think the ball is already in play, hence no kickout. But as you discovered, it still plays fine.
So I'm not inclined to think "coil"... I would start with that freebie bonus clue. If the score reels don't advance a freebie, you can probably rule out most scoring switches, and focus on stepper units and relays.

Thanks a lot for the reply! So the bonus unit will count down all the way to 0 and then advance 1 step spotting the letter O for each ball which I believe is the correct operation. I have cleaned and lightly lubed all the stepper units and they seem to be working fine but I may have to check the bonus unit again just to rule that out. Thanks for the help!

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from ArgosySK:

So the outhole kicker is controlled by the outhole relay and motor switch 7C.
If the outhole relay is pulling I would check the outhole relay switch with the Y-B (yellow Black) adn W-Y (White Yellow) wires.
(1st snippet)
If the outhole relay doesn't pull then Check the switches highlighted in Green in Diagram 2.
I would check the bonus Unit zero make or break switch 1st.
If it does pull but releases right away I would check the switch highlighted in Yellow. these should keep the outhole relay pulling until the out hole kicks out the ball.[quoted image][quoted image]

Thank you for the reply and for the schematic clippings, very much appreciated. Just going over what you said starting from the top- The outhole relay does pull in and does not immediately release, it holds for a second or two then releases but the sequence of resetting the drop targets and bonus unit continues no matter if the relay is held in or not. Going to take a look at motor switch 7C now.

#6 2 years ago

Can't see anything wrong with score motor 7, all switches make good contact and I cleaned them just in case they were dirty.

#7 2 years ago

You can look for loose or broken wires/solder joints. I would focus on W-Y wire from the outhole relay.
Give the wire a gentle tug to see if the solder joint is broken.

You can try using a jumper from the outhole relay to the outhole eject relay.

If you also check for continuity along the path.
Dont forget to check both wires on the lugs of the kickout coil.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from ArgosySK:

You can look for loose or broken wires/solder joints. I would focus on W-Y wire from the outhole relay.
Give the wire a gentle tug to see if the solder joint is broken.
You can try using a jumper from the outhole relay to the outhole eject relay.
If you also check for continuity along the path.
Dont forget to check both wires on the lugs of the kickout coil.

Thank you for your fast responses. All wires on the outhole relay seem to have a strong solder connection. I think I'll try the jumper to see if I get any life out of the outhole kicker. Looking at the mech board I only see one relay for the outhole3FC94B09-B8A3-4793-9CC0-117EFD9A5053 (resized).jpeg3FC94B09-B8A3-4793-9CC0-117EFD9A5053 (resized).jpeg Still learning so much about these EMs and the knowledge from pinsiders is such a help. Thank you!

#9 2 years ago

The O is lit upon reset on my machine.

#10 2 years ago

Thanks to MarkG and the awesome coaches from the online EM clinic that helped narrow down the issue. They were spot on with their suggestions. Turned out to be the outhole kicker coil had a poor winding connection to the lug so I flowed some fresh solder over it and it's working great again.

15871EDC-3765-4576-A0C1-9A832F05EE67 (resized).jpeg15871EDC-3765-4576-A0C1-9A832F05EE67 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-old-chicago-won-t-eject-ball-previously-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.