You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

038080C2-B752-43EF-B7B0-09D950782E9D (resized).jpeg
20211114_080050 (resized).jpg
20211114_075708 (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

Hi guys,I posted this to general tech but it was duggested I post here too, I am pretty new to pinside and still learning my way around. So a few weeks ago I bought a 1976 Bally Old Chicago. I've been enjoying it a lot lately and today I decided to get around to cleaning up the playfield, replacing some burnt out lights, and putting new rubbers on it....bad idea.

So first I had to get the playfield glass off, which was a giant pain and I had to use suction cups. Eventually after replacing the lights and the rubbers I went to turn on the machine....and now I am having all kinds of issues with the sound and scoring. When I turn the machine on now it emits a low constant humming sound and when I turn it on it dings (not normal). Also It doesn't let me play the first ball it goes straight to the second one. The back lights are now constantly on, also not normal and many of the sounds are not working on the playfield and some of the scoring is not working.

I'm pretty discouraged right now tbh. I was hoping this would be a fun, easy Saturday project and my knowledge of pins is very limited. I was wondering if anyone had any advice.

The advice I've been given has mostly suggested a stuck switch as the culprit. I was thinking about asking someone to come out and take a look at it and also show me the ropes for fixing a stuck switch. Was wondering if anyone had any idea what I should pay someone for this kind of service? (Midwest USA)

#2 2 years ago

Check your rebound rubbers (by the flippers). They may be too tight and forcing the contacts to be closed. Check all of you playfield scoring contacts. I think you will find some are closed when they should be open. Start there.

#3 2 years ago

I will try that out, thank you!

#4 2 years ago

Are the rebound rubbers the ones right in front of the flippers? I unscrewed them and still the same problems.

The playfield scoring contacts are the small metal pieces by the rubbers right?

Pictures Attached

20211114_075708 (resized).jpg20211114_075708 (resized).jpg20211114_080050 (resized).jpg20211114_080050 (resized).jpg
#5 2 years ago
Quoted from Defoust:

I will try that out, thank you!

For sure for what you have described doing to the machine, one of your rebound rubber target switch stacks is forced closed. The new rubbers are tighter and this likely has one or more of them closed.
As you’ve said you are new you are looking for the 2 metal leafs sticking up behind the rubbers, when the ball hits to rubber it’ll push the switch stacks to make contact. If one or more of them is making contact the switch needs a slight bend. Put a piece of paper between the switches and see if that resolves the issue, if so start removing the papers and resetting the game one at a time till you find the culprit. If not it’s somewhere else and will require more feedback here from your findings and then further investigation.
This picture below is a double switch when one is open the other is closed your target switches won’t be doubled like this but you can see the difference in open and closed.

038080C2-B752-43EF-B7B0-09D950782E9D (resized).jpeg038080C2-B752-43EF-B7B0-09D950782E9D (resized).jpeg
#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Defoust:

Are the rebound rubbers the ones right in front of the flippers? I unscrewed them and still the same problems.
Pictures Attached
[quoted image][quoted image]

They switches are the metal leafs sticking in directly behind the white rubbers
One should be making contact with the rubber while the other is not making contact with the one touching the rubber

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from Defoust:

Pictures Attached
[quoted image][quoted image]

Yes the metal in the second close up picture are the switches your inspecting placing a piece of paper or even a qtip between the contact circles on those will make sure no contact is being made for your testing.

#8 2 years ago

Thank you guys, I'm looking at it now and a few of them are definitely closed with the new rubbers, hopefully that's the case. My girlfriend is in an online study group now so i can't turn it on right now but I'll get working on adjusting them.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from Defoust:

Thank you guys, I'm looking at it now and a few of them are definitely closed with the new rubbers, hopefully that's the case. My girlfriend is in an online study group now so i can't turn it on right now but I'll get working on adjusting them.

I sent you a pm

#10 2 years ago

Thank you everyone for your help! There was a closed contact by the collect bonus. I really appreciate it!

#11 2 years ago

I’m pretty sure that was the very first problem I had to fix on our first machine. Very common Welcome to the hobby.

Dave

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-old-chicago-help?hl=chas10e and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.