IMG_62381 (resized).jpg
IMG_62451 (resized).jpg
bonus hole 2 (resized).JPG
bonus hole 1 (resized).JPG
Shoot again (resized).JPG
ball count lights (resized).JPG
player steper (resized).JPG
#1 4 years ago

Working on a Bally Old Chicago. Ball Count Unit will not advance and neither will Player Unit. Have checked and cleaned EB relay and Ball Index relay switches. Additionally, in game only, the shoot again on playfield and the ball 4 in backglass lights are both lit dimly. If you actually earn an EB, the ball 4 light goes out and the shoot again lights up fully. Having a buddy more familiar with more EM experience help, but we're a bit frustrated and stumped at this point. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. We do have the full schematic in hand.

#2 4 years ago

What's the Extra Ball relay doing when this happens?

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

What's the Extra Ball relay doing when this happens?

Nothing. It isn't energized when the light issues are happening.

#4 4 years ago

Have you checked the mechanical operation of the step up function on those two stepper units... does it step up when you manually depress the advancing coil plunger? You should probably check the step-down functions on these as well.

So on startup... does the game start at player 1 ball 1... and doesn't advance past that point?

#5 4 years ago

Manual operation works fine. Yes starts on player one ball one. After scoring and draining most times it stays on player one ball one. Some times it goes through the players to player four ball one but never advances past ball one. This is all on a single player game. Not multi player.

#6 4 years ago

I would say look at one problem at a time. For the player and ball count issues. I would look at circuit below.
- Blue is common to both player Up and Ball count.
- Green is just Player up
- Orange is for Ball Count.

player steper (resized).JPGplayer steper (resized).JPG
#7 4 years ago
Quoted from ArgosySK:

I would say look at one problem at a time. For the player and ball count issues. I would look at circuit below.
- Blue is common to both player Up and Ball count.
- Green is just Player up
- Orange is for Ball Count.[quoted image]

A quick adjustment of the switch stacks on the motor at 3a and 4b has fixed this issue. Thanks, so much. Now for that light issue

#8 4 years ago

The ball 4 and shoot again issue sounds like crossed wires or a solder bomb.

I would look at the Orange-red wire for the shoot again light and Orange Red wire for the balls in play.

I would start in the Head and look at the jones plug 1st.

The circuits don't have anything in common.
Shoot again (resized).JPGShoot again (resized).JPGball count lights (resized).JPGball count lights (resized).JPG

#9 4 years ago

Fixed that one also. Was a wiring mess up on our part thanks. Last issue seems to be the bonus saucer won't register. Switch has continuity back to the bonus unit. We're looking at the schematic for next steps.

#10 4 years ago

I suspect you fixed this yesterday. But here is a snippet of the circuit.

bonus hole 1 (resized).JPGbonus hole 1 (resized).JPGbonus hole 2 (resized).JPGbonus hole 2 (resized).JPG
#11 4 years ago

We decided to call it a night. I wiggled the wiring coming off the bonus count disc and the old Chicago bonus lights started lighting up. We had figured they were bad bulbs. I'll give this mech some attention this week. Thanks so much for your pointers. Almost done. We had to track and reattach every wire from the head to the backbox. A previous owner at some point cut the whole harness rather than disconnect the Jones plugs. And at some point after that someone else tried to fix it. I wasn't trusting that work. In that process I messed the 2 orange red wires. That's what caused the shoot again and ball 4 light issue.
IMG_62451 (resized).jpgIMG_62451 (resized).jpgIMG_62381 (resized).jpgIMG_62381 (resized).jpg

#12 4 years ago

Oh god, that is my worst fear when buying an EM. Congratulations for having the patients to put it all back together. Many people would take one look and run the other way.

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from ArgosySK:

Oh god, that is my worst fear when buying an EM. Congratulations for having the patients to put it all back together. Many people would take one look and run the other way.

Thanks. The game is cosmetically gorgeous so I felt it was worth the effort. It's also a very fun EM.

#14 4 years ago

Got back to this tonight. Score motor switch was the culprit in the saucer issue. Fixed a broken solder connection on the back of the bakelite wheel while cleaning the Bonus Count Unit. This made all the OLD CHICAGO lights work properly. Seems to be fully functioning now. Fingers crossed. Thanks much.

#15 4 years ago

Congrats. Enjoy your working game.

2 months later
#16 4 years ago

Figured I'd bump my original thread on this. Bonus is doubled on balls 3 and 5. This feature is working, however, the double bonus insert only lights on ball 5, even though it gives double bonus on ball 3, as well. I've seen other videos of the game being played and it should light on ball 3 as well. Weird one.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

the double bonus insert only lights on ball 5, even though it gives double bonus on ball 3,

Sounds like a continuity problem on the Ball Count Unit disc.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#18 4 years ago

Thanks for the tip on where to look. I know my friend and I cleaned up the bonus unit and another stepper. I believe the player unit. I'll look at the ball count unit next. It definitely goes through all balls in a game properly, but I see where maybe the finger or rivet that controls that light on ball 3 could be an issue.

3 weeks later
#19 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Thanks for the tip on where to look. I know my friend and I cleaned up the bonus unit and another stepper. I believe the player unit. I'll look at the ball count unit next. It definitely goes through all balls in a game properly, but I see where maybe the finger or rivet that controls that light on ball 3 could be an issue.

Followed that path and found a jumper between the rivets for balls 3 and 5 has been cut at some point. Pic attached. Wanted to be sure I can just jumper this back it if it should be a diode instead.

IMG_20200310_154638004 (resized).jpgIMG_20200310_154638004 (resized).jpg
#20 4 years ago

Since the schematic doesn't show any diode or anything, I jumpered it and all is well. I need to play several 4 player games to get it broken back in from being dormant all those years.

1 week later
#21 4 years ago

Noticed an issue while playing and then tested with glass off. So, if you have built up between 1 and 5 thousand in bonus, the bonus collect hole scores the bonus and ejects fine. If you have 6 or more thousand, it will just sit there in the hole and not register, score or eject. The unit is clean and counts bonus fine, so I'm kinda baffled. This part of the schematic has me thinking my fingers are off by one position, but why would it count fine? Including a pic of my bonus unit at reset/zero position and a section of schematic, I'm questioning.

IMG_20200318_180659027 (resized).jpgIMG_20200318_180659027 (resized).jpgIMG_20200318_181452992 (resized).jpgIMG_20200318_181452992 (resized).jpg
#22 4 years ago

From your schematic pic there are two flows through the bonus unit. The green set is working the Yellow is not.

The green set is for 1-5 the Yellow set is for 6-10
It looks like the 5000 bonus hole Re is not firing.

I would check the normally closed bonus Hole Score re. The middle Yellow box.

2d24414bfba0ae686584edeb4c344226240ad19d (resized).jpg2d24414bfba0ae686584edeb4c344226240ad19d (resized).jpg
#23 4 years ago

I may be reading it wrong. I thought the 5000 bonus hole relay was the saucer at the top of the playfield and not the collect saucer. Hmmm. That saucer becomes worth 5000 only when all letters are lit (full 10K bonus).

#24 4 years ago

OK, looked at that relay and cleaned it. Looked fine and seemed adjusted properly. Did some manual testing. With the bonus at 5K, manually activating that relay scores 5K and does not trip the eject sequence. At 6K, it scores 6K and triggers the eject. At 7K, it scores 6K and ejects. 8K scores correctly and ejects, 9K only scores 8K and ejects and 10K scores 10K and ejects. I'm worried my fingers are off a position but not sure.

#25 4 years ago

Found an old thread with the same issue, but never posted a resolution:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/old-chicago-wont-kick-out-bonus-saucer-league-tonight

Also, now when I manually activate the 5000 bonus hole relay, it gives only the point above 5000. If I activate the regular bonus hole relay, it also pulls in the 5000 relay and does the whole sequence properly. This is weird.

#26 4 years ago

Got this one solved. Pulled the playfield to get a real good look at those relays. They looked fine. While it was out, I cleaned the jones plugs and when I reinstalled it, all is well. It was driving me nuts, since all the pieces of this chain seemed fine on their own. Love this game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-old-chicago-help-needed?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.