3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by metalguy
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pin (resized).jpg
    Old Chicago Bonus count (resized).jpg
    Old Chicago 3000 points (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I have gotten a lot of help on this game from you guys. Thanks

This is my last one. The mid playfield bonus saucer will score correct for O, L ,H, I ,C and O. So basically It scores incorrect for anything that requires 3 pulses to the 1000 pt relay. It does the others correct. But it does score 1000 points on the D 3000 point for example. Or it will score 5000 plus 1000 on the 8000 and 9000 point bonus. I checked 9b on the score motor which 3-4k and 8-9k bonus go thru. I cleaned and gapped ok, I see no sparking at all when I trigger it. I checked gaps and cleaned 5000 relay and bonus hole score relay also checked loose wires etc. When these are triggered the 1000pt relay pulls in for the duration but consistently scores 1000. I cant seem to grasp the 1000 points thing because power is getting thru It would almost be easier if it wasnt scoring at all. I dont think its the bonus stepper because everything else is fine.
    Thanks

#2 3 years ago
    Quoted from metalguy:

When these are triggered the 1000pt relay pulls in for the duration but consistently scores 1000.

I don't follow this. The 1000 point relay should only pulse briefly and should only score 1000 points when it does. To score 3000 points the 1000 point relay needs to pulse three times.

To score 3000 points the 3000 point relay needs to pull in and hold while the Score Motor turns and the 1000 point relay pulses three times. Then the 3000 point relay should relax. If it's not doing that try to manually push in the 3000 point relay. It should hold itself in for most of the 180 degree rotation of the Score Motor.

/Mark

#3 3 years ago

Thanks Mark you have replied to all my threads on this machine. Sorry, My description is a little confusing. The 3000 pt relay is not pulling in when the ball is in the bonus hole. It does pull in however on the top alternating rollovers which is also 3000 points. No problems there. My confusion is in the schematic Im looking at section 46 far right. For 3000 points, instead of the 1000pt relay firing 3 times it fires once and stays held in while the motor finishes rotation. I wasnt sure by looking at the schematic if it went thru 3000 pt relay. It doesnt for 2000 points right.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from metalguy:

For 3000 points, instead of the 1000pt relay firing 3 times it fires once and stays held in while the motor finishes rotation.

That's not right.
    Old Chicago 3000 points (resized).jpgOld Chicago 3000 points (resized).jpg
    When the 3000 point relay fires it holds itself on, closes the lower switch in this schematic and starts the Score Motor turning. The 9B Score Motor switch in red then closes three times as shown in the Score Motor chart which should send three pulses to the 1000 point relay for 3000 points.

If your 1000 point relay stays on while the Score Motor turns it may be that the Score Motor 9B switch is stuck closed rather than pulsing as it should.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sky-kings-power-free-play-and-top-hole-issue#post-4457680 will show you were the 9B switch is.

#5 3 years ago

My experience may or may not help you. Mine would never score more than 5K in bonus. Anything over that you earned up to 10K was just ignored during the bonus count. The unit would still fully reset, but didn't give you the points. Everything was cleaned/gapped/lubed properly on the bonus unit. I had forgot to clean the jones plugs in the bottom of the cab that connect the playfield to the rest of the game. Cleaned them well and retensioned the female receptacles and my issue was resolved. Not sure how recently you shopped or cleaned yours, but may be worth a shot.

#6 3 years ago

The 3000 pt relay works fine and 9b pulses as normal for the top rollovers scoring 3000 points (can see arcing) but not when it needs it coming from the bonus hole.
    Thanks RC I cleaned all jones plugs i dont think it would be that because it is still scoring something if nothing was happening I would check jones again.

It does sound like a switch is closed but i cant seem to find it.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from metalguy:

The 3000 pt relay works fine and 9b pulses as normal for the top rollovers scoring 3000 points (can see arcing) but not when it needs it coming from the bonus hole.

As it turns out that's correct. The 3000 point relay isn't used when you land in the Collect Bonus hole. The Bonus has its own circuit:
    Old Chicago Bonus count (resized).jpgOld Chicago Bonus count (resized).jpg
    The Bonus Unit is probably an 11 position stepper where position 0 is reset and positions 1-10 correspond to the letters O-L-D-C-H-I-C-A-G-O. Each position sends pulses to the 1000 point relay generated by various combinations of Score Motor switches for totals of 1-4000. Bonus values of 5000 and more start by counting 5000 points (done elsewhere in the schematic) and then adding 1-4000 more points from this circuit.

So for example the first letter O in position 1 should send a single pulse from Score Motor switch 3C to the 1000 point relay. The L in position 2 would send the pulse from Score Motor 3C and the pulse from 4C to the 1000 point relay for 2000 points total.

If letters D, C, A & G (or positions 3, 4, 8 & 9) are missing 3000 points I'd have a close look at the Score Motor 9A switch in red.

#8 3 years ago

OK, It was 9a on score motor. Super weird the nylon sleeve and what looks like old flux was shorting the blades together at the bottom of stack.
    Thanks again

pin (resized).jpgpin (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-old-chicago-bonus-hole-scoring-incorrect?hl=metalguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.