• Latest reply 10 years ago by Pin-it
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Bally_startup.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Hello to everyone. I bought this bally pinball real cheap hoping to get running. The coin door wont work i can hit the switch where the quarters hit and the game will cycle but the score motor wont cycle all the way. it goes bout 85 percent then stop. the ball wont kick out ether, now if i turn the score motor to the the rest of the way then the ball will kick. I clean and check all the adjustments. I dont have a schematic to check. Any help will be great. Thanks.

#2 10 years ago

A Bally startup procedure ( not game specific)

Coin is inserted into the game. The Coin Relay will energize. It will stay energized through its own hold-in switch and a score motor switch. If the credit button is pressed (instead of a coin being inserted) and there are credits, the Credit Relay will be energized which energizes the Coin Relay.

The Coin Relay will energize the Lock Relay (this turns the general illumination on). The Lock Relay will stay energized through its own hold-in switch and a delay relay switch.

The Coin Relay will energize the Reset Relay, through a game over relay switch (if your game won't start, try cleaning the contacts on the Game Over Relay; a very common Bally problem).

The score motor will operate. This will energize the Score Reset Relay(s). The score reset relay(s) will attempt to clear the score reels to zero. This is done by operating the score motor. Each turn of the score motor will operate the Reset Relay once, which in turns moves a score reel one position, until the score reel(s) are at zero. If the score motor continues to run when a game is started, there's a good chance the zero position switch on the score reel(s) is dirty or mis-adjusted.

The Coin Relay, through the score motor, will advance the Total Play Meter.

The Reset Relay, through the score motor, will reset the stepper units (zero the ball count and player units).

The Coin Relay, through the score motor, will decrement the credit unit.

The Coin Relay, through the score motor, will energize the Game Over Latch Relay Coil.

The Coin Relay, through the score motor, will energize the 100,000 relay latch coil(s) (if the game supports scores greater than 99,999).

If the Outhole Switch is closed (single ball games) or the Ball Trough Switches are closed (multi-ball games), a ball is released to the shooter lane through the Outhole Relay (single ball game) or Ball Release Relay (multi-ball game) and the score motor.

On multi-player games, the credit button may be pushed again to add a player. This time the Coin Relay will not energize the Reset Relay. Instead it will (through the score motor) advance the Total Play Meter, decrement the credit unit, and advance the coin unit.

#3 10 years ago

I did clean the contacts, and made sure when the game is in motion, i can see the contacts open and closing. there is 2 opitions on this game if i take the pin and move it to the other connector the coin drop will display credit and the game wont start. when i push the start button on the coin door nothing at all.Then i hit the switch to give credit and now the relay clicking . i did use a meter to test and make sure there is no broken wires. i been messing with this for 3 days. i did check the relays with a 9 volt battery and my contacts working. I know i misssing something. Thanks

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from mikeydean68:

there is 2 opitions on this game if i take the pin and move it to the other connector the coin drop will display credit and the game wont start. when i push the start button on the coin door nothing at all.

^ Not sure what that is can you upload a pic?

Quoted from mikeydean68:

when i push the start button on the coin door nothing at all.

Read this> http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#wrong

#5 10 years ago

Question for you. I dont have a schematic for this machine. need to know what the contacts on the score motor is post to be set. i just want to make sure im in spec with this.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from mikeydean68:

I dont have a schematic for this machine.

I would see if someone can post a copy or maybe go by a Bally pin released the same year w/similar features > http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?gtype=EM&mfgid=47&yr=1973&searchtype=advanced#654 <Picked from here.(picked one thats close to yours)

Maybe the Hi-Lo Ace would be close?not many to chose from that have exact documentation.

Quoted from mikeydean68:

need to know what the contacts on the score motor is post to be set.

Operation manual> http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/1187/Bally_1973_Hi_Lo_Ace_Manual.pdf <That should be close for the score motor info.

For Coin chute schematics? > http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/654/Bally_Delta_Queen_997_Coin_Chute_Schematic.pdf

I would set it up for freeplay Imo as it prevents a lot of headaches when troubleshooting. > http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#free

Quoted from mikeydean68:

the game will cycle but the score motor wont cycle all the way. it goes bout 85 percent then stop. the ball wont kick out ether,

Manually add credits first.
Then Clean /adjust the coin relay,credit relay and game over relay to start with.(make sure the contact/bakelite screws are tight first.
Does the ball count reset?

#7 10 years ago

The bakelite screws, never heard of that. Are you meaning the screws that hold down the contacts then adjust? The ball count doesnt reset unless i manual move the score motor to the home position then the ball will kick out. i can manual move the ball count contact then the ball will kick as well. thanks on the info so far. you rock.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from mikeydean68:

Are you meaning the screws that hold down the contacts then adjust?

Yes ,they sometimes loosen and shrink over time,so as far as a proper clean adjust i would snug em down first starting w/the one closest to the leaf switch then the other.

Quoted from mikeydean68:The ball count doesnt reset unless i manual move the score motor to the home position then the ball will kick out.

Ok lets see what is causing that.

#9 10 years ago

Ok going back to the Hi-Lo manual (2e),i would look at the two relays and the #2 cam.

Bally_startup.JPGBally_startup.JPG

#10 10 years ago

Finally, had time to clean the coin relay. and i found a burnt contact on the A3 side going from the bottom up. Will keep u posted don't have any contacts.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from mikeydean68:

i found a burnt contact on the A3 side going from the bottom up.

Cool
File it clean,and if a contact is needed.
Pbr carries them > http://www.pbresource.com/pfswitch.htm#common

#12 10 years ago

I meant to ask. Can i use a williams relay and take the contacts out and put them in?

#13 10 years ago

Should work ,the only thing that can give issues is the set length of the leaf switch. (mount holes and contact orientation)
If the contact and the mounts are in the same alignment then i dont see an issue with using them as is. (sometimes lucky) If just the contact is the only thing that will work then have at it,just watch if they fly away on you.
Some info on them > http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair#How_to_Fabricate_Leaf_Switches

#14 10 years ago

Well, The contact is in, and no luck. still having the same problem. I look all over the everything and im not seeing anything else. the coin door, when i push the start button, still nothing. i have to push down the coin switch to start it. i do see the relays starting up when the coin relay is energize. the score motor is 85 percent there. I did notice that when i go to the playfield and start hitting different items, where the ball goes in the hole and ejects the ball and give you 500 points the score motor will move to 99 percent and stop. if i can get the score motor to advance completely,the game seem to be fine. like i said before if i move the score motor to complete the cycle i can put the ball in the trough and it will eject the ball out. and the game will count down from 5 balls 4 balls etc. i do have a coin switch is bad and i took the switch out. and i did set the credit on the credit wheel so i can have games active. and pushing the button to start the game it wont do anything. let me know what you think.

#15 10 years ago

Manually add credits first.
Then Clean /adjust the coin relay,credit relay and game over relay to start with.(make sure the contact/bakelite screws are tight first.
Does the ball count reset?
When you ask me earlier if the ball count reset, where you meaning when the ball goes into the though and the number of balls cycle like 5, 4 ,3 , 2 ,1, then game ends?

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from mikeydean68:

I look all over the everything and im not seeing anything else. the coin door, when i push the start button, still nothing. i have to push down the coin switch to start it.

Ok ,I would clean the jones plugs w/fine sandpaper or scuff pad.
Check the start switch ,clean / adjust ,check continuity from switch to the credit relay.

Quoted from mikeydean68:

the number of balls cycle like 5, 4 ,3 , 2 ,1, then game ends?

Set for add-a-ball? does it start at 5 ball and w/each outhole activation it launches the ball and decrements one ball? or all five at once?

#17 10 years ago

Set for add-a-ball? does it start at 5 ball and w/each outhole activation it launches the ball and decrements one ball? or all five at once? If im understanding what you are asking me. The game starts off at ball 5 then works it way down to 1 ball. this game is single ball only. if the ball goes in the through it just sits there. it wont do anything. if i move the score motor to complete the cycle, then the ball will eject then ball 4 is ready. i can play the game, when the ball goes down the whole for the next ball then i help the score motor. then ball 3. If that making since, after i do this the the game will be over. The jones plugs. ? is that the ones that the head connects to the board. let me know what jones plugs are.Thanks

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from mikeydean68:

The jones plugs. ? is that the ones that the head connects to the board. let me know what jones plugs are.

More from Pinrepair> http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index2.htm#connect

Quoted from mikeydean68:Set for add-a-ball?

Add-A ball is an option that starts w/3 or 5 ball as it counts down from the amount set ,versus regular which starts at one and counts up to 3 or 5 depending on your settings.

More info on that here> http://www.ipdb.org/glossary.php

Quoted from mikeydean68:if the ball goes in the through it just sits there. it wont do anything. if i move the score motor to complete the cycle, then the ball will eject then ball 4 is ready.

Lets try the plugs first and go from there.
Was just seeing if you were getting a stuck ball count unit.

#19 10 years ago

Thanks for the info. This game is set for 5 balls and can set for 3 balls to.

#20 10 years ago

ok. I went back and recheck everything. The coin door switch was bad, so i took it off, think the game will work while i added credits and the score motor would not cycle all the way, so i recheck the coin door wires and the yellow wire had to be enegryize to let the score motor cycle the rest of the way. now game is fix, Wow didnt relize a switch for the credits would cause this problem. Im so releave that its working. I had to jumper the wire until i get a switch. I will play the game and see what else is wrong. Thanks again for your help.

#21 10 years ago

Ok. Played the game. looks like everything is good to go. the only thing i need to ask if the ball goes up in the hole and you get 500 points the ball count goes down to 4 then 3 then 2 then 1. that is each time the ball goes into the whole. and the whole in the center of the pinball, it does it to. I didnt see anything if the game suppost to do that. i was watching when the ball goes into the point whole, i see the relay ingage to make the ball count to go to 4. i can hold it open with my finger and the ball 5 will stay until i put in the trough whole then ball 4. any input will be great.

#22 10 years ago

Sounds to me like a contact or wire is close that the vibration is causing the ball count unit to subtract fully. I would look at either the trough switch if it has one or the outhole switch to start with.
Lift the playfield up trigger the upper outhole and see what location the relay is getting the vibration from. Tapping the playfield may also trigger your issue too,just unplug the chimes and listen close till you find the culprit.
Placing small pieces of paper between suspected leaf contacts of suspected circuit in question will disable any of your vibration/close contact issue,then removing one piece of paper at a time till it shows up.
Patience and a good eye will eventually fix it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Downers Grove, IL
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-odds-even-pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.