Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FE92574B-69BB-4404-8BC1-3BAD6AEB94CE (resized).jpeg
27C47FB5-F2F1-40A0-A882-4F6FE5AD1445 (resized).jpeg
6EC20E20-929D-497D-AAE1-87B790B35C6E (resized).jpeg
35BC7F09-2079-4836-9E95-7F47176D4267 (resized).jpeg
#1 3 years ago

Hello all. I have a situation with my sound on a Bally Nitro Groundshaker pin. I have the game working 100% now but when I’m playing the game the sound will cut out from time to time. Once it cuts out it rarely comes back on its own. So when I power the game off, wait 10 seconds and then power it back on, the sound is usually back to normal.

I have a new sound board on the game since the original was robbed from it before I bought the game. The game also has a new Alltek mpu, a new Alltek Solenoid driver board and a new X-Pin rectifier.

I’ve double checked all my connections and have re-pinned prior trouble connectors. I’ve also tried to make the sound go out by hitting specific targets and switches but it seems that it’s never consistent as to what makes the sound just stop. One other thing. Most times I lose all sound but other times I lose just background sound and still have sound when hitting targets. Very strange.

Could the new sound board have an issue or is it something else? Btw when the sound cuts out I can still hear static noise coming from the speaker so I’m guessing it’s not a bad speaker?

If anyone else has ever had an issue with this please let me know what to do.

Thank you all! We have a great community.

35BC7F09-2079-4836-9E95-7F47176D4267 (resized).jpeg35BC7F09-2079-4836-9E95-7F47176D4267 (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

From the picture it doesn't look like the connector to the soundboard has been rebuilt. I would fully rebuild that one and J4 off the MPU if it hasn't been done.

#3 3 years ago

Ok I will re pin the connector on the sound board and report back

#4 3 years ago

The volume pot on the door will do this sometimes.

#5 3 years ago

Ok thanks Phil-Lee. I didn’t realize there was a volume pot on the coin door. I thought it only had the volume adjustment on the board. Where is that located on the door? I have attached pics of my coin door

27C47FB5-F2F1-40A0-A882-4F6FE5AD1445 (resized).jpeg27C47FB5-F2F1-40A0-A882-4F6FE5AD1445 (resized).jpeg6EC20E20-929D-497D-AAE1-87B790B35C6E (resized).jpeg6EC20E20-929D-497D-AAE1-87B790B35C6E (resized).jpegFE92574B-69BB-4404-8BC1-3BAD6AEB94CE (resized).jpegFE92574B-69BB-4404-8BC1-3BAD6AEB94CE (resized).jpeg
#6 3 years ago

Early Bally Solid State machines did not have volume adjustment on the sound door. Later machines did. Your sound adjustment is only on the sound board.

#7 3 years ago

Ok thanks for clarifying that Slidave. I’m going to re pin my sound board connector now and see if that helps.

One other thing I noticed on the game is that when the middle pop bumper fires it also triggers the left pop bumper. They simultaneously fire together. However when the left pop bumper fires, it only fires by itself as it should. The right pop bumper operates normally too. Any ideas on this one?

#8 3 years ago

The pop bumper operation is normal for that game ,you could try replacing switch caps and that may make it less frequent,but you won't get rid of it totally

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from ezed123:

One other thing I noticed on the game is that when the middle pop bumper fires it also triggers the left pop bumper. They simultaneously fire together.

Make sure the switch on the pop bumper is properly adjusted and vibrations arn't triggering it. I'ts probably a good idea to replace the small caps soldered to the switch.
As for the sound, eliminating the board, rebuilding the connectors would be a good idea. Also clean and inspect the speaker. It may be worn out.

#10 3 years ago

Thanks everyone. I did replace the small caps when I put new switches on the pop bumpers so they are good. I did make a very tiny adjustment on the pop bumper switch and tada! Bid Al you were right. It was vibration causing the left pop bumper to fire so that issue is resolved. I will be rebuilding the sound board connector and checking the speaker again later today and will report back. Thanks!

#11 3 years ago

Hi everyone. Thanks for all the good feedback.

Fingers crossed I think the sound cut out is fixed!

First thing I did was take the speaker off the bottom of the cabinet and put a new ground wire onto it since the old one was severely rusted. Cleaned it up and freshened the solder points. Then I re pinned the two wire connector to the soundboard for the speaker. That did the trick! Simply amazing how something so simple escaped me. I’m thinking much deeper but it just goes to show start with the basics.

Thanks again everyone! I always appreciate the Forum.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-nitro-groundshaker-sound-cuts-out?hl=phil-lee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.