Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20181220_201554 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181220_192319 (resized).jpg
IMG_20181220_191558 (resized).jpg
Capture (resized).PNG
#1 5 years ago

I recently acquired a bally nip-it in great condition from a fellow pinsider. I'm trying to fix a couple of issues and clean it up before i gift it to my father.

There are only a couple of issues that I noticed.

1. the open gate relay doesn't fire when i hit the gate target relay is activated
the score is correctly set
the light is on
when i hit the target the relay fires
the contactors meet
I have continuity in the line to the open gate relay
I noticed the hot side of the switch that leads to the open gate relay only reads 36V AC
if i jump the wire directly from that switch it doesn't activate
if i jump it from another switch on the relay it does, the other 2 switches are reading 55V AC
I don't have a #455 bulb yet to put into the delay socket

2. the player up stepper doesn't reset all the way when playing with 4 players
I cleaned it, but maybe it needs lube? do i put the teflon lube on the pads to reduce friction?

3. sometimes ballout doesn't progress to next player/ball
I haven't done a deep test on this but i'm scoring points, yet sometimes i've gotten up to 5 balls in a row before it progressed

4. the left lane kickback is pretty weak

5. there is a small flake from where a bulb melted a spot on the backglass, whats the best way to cover that up, i'm lucky and it was in a black paint section

Thanks!
Looking forward to getting this up and running for a xmas surprise.

#2 5 years ago

Check score motor sw. 5F for the open gate problem.

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#3 5 years ago

Score motor 5F is reading 55V
I assume it's the top switch but measured the bottom also.

#4 5 years ago

I noticed one of the 00-90 unit fingers is not spaced 10 apart. Is this an error?

IMG_20181220_191558 (resized).jpgIMG_20181220_191558 (resized).jpg
#5 5 years ago
Quoted from savinte:

Score motor 5F is reading 55V

Don't get obsessed with the readings. Make sure the contacts are clean and that it's making solid contact. If they're cruddy or not making well it doesn't matter how much juice is there.

#6 5 years ago

So if I'm reading this right the top switch on cam 5 should be closed?

IMG_20181220_192319 (resized).jpgIMG_20181220_192319 (resized).jpg
#7 5 years ago
Quoted from savinte:

So if I'm reading this right the top switch on cam 5 should be closed?

Yes

#8 5 years ago

The photo you posted of the 00-90 stepper - it looks like the blade is bent in the lower left position. You'll need to check to see if the blade was straightened, would it touch a different contact.

It looks like the machine has various problems, so I would start with one problem at a time. Since currieddog provided a section of the schematic for the gate circuit, I would try to troubleshoot that gate issue first. Make sure the contacts on the open gate relay and the open target relay are clean and adjusted properly. Does the gate target relay energize when the gate target is hit?

#9 5 years ago

The gate target relay does energize. I traced one of the contact wires (RED/Black) to from the gate target relay to the open gate relay. Thats the one that is 36V AC instead of 55V AC like everything else seems to be

IMG_20181220_201554 (resized).jpgIMG_20181220_201554 (resized).jpg
#10 5 years ago

I've also done a 9V battery test on the Open Gate relay and it fired.
Also if i jump another switch that is 55V on the gate target relay to the open gate relay it seems to work

Just not sure why its reading 36V on that brown wire and how to address that

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

it looks like the blade is bent in the lower left position. You'll need to check to see if the blade was straightened, would it touch a different contact.

Good eye!

#12 5 years ago

With the open gate target lit, if the gate target relay energizes, then the open gate relay should energize. The power for this circuit is controlled by the 00-90 unit disc (stepper). Check the 00-90 unit disc to see if the blade is correctly positioned on the disc.

Another problem area could be dirty Jones plugs. Make sure all Jones plugs on the machine are clean and seated properly...

#13 5 years ago

The one blade that was off, was definitely hitting the wrong pin as noted. I was have to bend it back. I also thoroughly cleaned all the contacts on that stepper motor as i wasn't getting continuity. the dirty pads were causing the gate target light to stop being lit, but have done nothing for the open gate relay.

I will check the jones plugs

#14 5 years ago

You can also use a jumper wire from the yellow wire lug on the 10-90 unit disc to the brown wire lug on the gate target relay to bypass the 10-90 unit disc...

#15 5 years ago

The 00 90 disc is telling it to light the bulb though so if the bulb is in we should be good? Or is there a 50V line on the disc also?

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from savinte:

Or is there a 50V line on the disc also?

There's a 50v line on the disc on the schematic at 19C - 19D

#17 5 years ago

Got my hands on a #455 bulb. The open gate relay started working with that delay bulb inserted.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-nip-it-the-open-gate-relay-isn-t-firing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.