(Topic ID: 185502)

Bally Nip-it start button not responding.

By Nevus

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

786938D9-B8AD-440F-AAD9-71C841568675 (resized).jpeg
4B14E81F-50E3-4649-A361-D9DDE306F27D (resized).jpeg
B16732D7-0498-46E7-BB2F-201D2E18A5A9 (resized).jpeg
#1 7 years ago

I have just acquired a Bally Nip-it and am going through some troubleshooting. The gator button has been disabled as it broke before I purchased the game. I plan to address that after I get the game otherwise working.

The game is set to free play with an Aligator clip closing the switch that opens when credits run to zero.

The start button does not work or cause any visible or audible reaction when pressed. The switch behind the door does close when the button is pressed and opens when not pressed. The coin mech switches work. The coin switches on the bottom board work. I can play through all 4 players with no problems and it goes to game over.

Help is appreciated.

(Background if it helps.) The game was fully functional and had a weekend of heavy play at TPF. After the move home, the first switch stack on the score motor was deformed and it would not stop turning. I managed to straighten it out and get it to stop in the rest position. I can't say all the switches in the stack are correct now, but the game plays.

The second issue was I could not get the game off of ball one and player 1. I adjusted the switch on the continuous stepper and the coin unit in the head and that got me working enough to play in the current condition.

I do not have a schematic, but one is on order.

#2 7 years ago

First you could use a multi-meter to test to see if there are 50 volts at the start/credit button switch. If so, then you would know what part of the coin relay coil circuit to check. Or you could check all the switches in the circuit. Here are all the switches in the coin relay coil circuit that include the start/credit button switch:

2nd coin chute switch - switch with yellow wire and red/white wire
3rd coin chute switch - switch with red/white wire and white wire
Score motor switch 1F - switch with white wire and black/white wire
Reset relay switch - switch with black/white wire and blue/orange wire
Credit button switch - switch with blue/orange wire and white/orange wire
Credit unit zero switch - switch with white/orange wire and gray/yellow wire
Coin unit limit switch - switch with gray/yellow wire and brown/red wire
Player up unit zero switch - switch with gray/yellow wire and brown/red wire
Ball count unit zero switch - switch with gray/yellow wire and brown/red wire
Game over relay switch - switch with gray/yellow wire and brown/red wire

Make sure these switches are clean and adjusted properly...

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from fredsmythson:

First you could use a multi-meter to test to see if there are 50 volts at the start/credit button switch. If so, then you would know what part of the coin relay coil circuit to check.

Thanks. If there is +50v at the button switch(assuming you mean in the coin door), what part do I check?

#4 7 years ago

If you get 50 volts at the start/credit switch on the coin door, check the following switches:

Credit button switch = switch with blue/orange wire and white/orange wire
Credit unit zero switch - switch with white/orange wire and gray/yellow wire
Coin unit limit switch - switch with gray/yellow wire and brown/red wire
Player up unit zero switch - switch with gray/yellow wire and brown/red wire
Ball count unit zero switch - switch with gray/yellow wire and brown/red wire
Game over relay switch - switch with gray/yellow wire and brown/red wire

#5 7 years ago

Thanks. I will check and get back with results.

#6 7 years ago

Okay I'm a bit embarrassed but really appreciate the help.

The colors are difficult to make out and I can't seem to measure the switches. Not sure what I'm dolooking not wrong with the DMM. I set it to volts and nothing.
I can test the switches and relays. Some work and some don't.
I'm gong to look for a tutorial on measuring the switch voltage.

Testing by hand.

2nd coin chute switch - activates the door coin solenoid and the score motor.
3rd coin chute switch - same as above
Score motor 1 top switch has the black and white. - Same as above
Reset relay - activates above plus the bonus unit stepper
Credit button - no action
Credit unit zero switch - is closed with a clip to set for free play
Coin up limit switch- does not have the wires described (not sure about this one).
The coin stepper sticks a little when counting down credits manually.
Player up unit zero switch - no effect
Ball count unit zero switch - no effect
Game over relay switch - not sure what switch.

Forgive my lack of knowledge here. I'm definitely a visual learner. A video tutorial is my best way of learning. I've been watching Clays videos, but they aren't an exact fit for my game.

If it helps. When getting credits by using the relays under the playfield, it will play an entire 4 player game.

#7 7 years ago

I looked at the schematic and I'm surprised it doesn't have a separate listing of the score motor stacks and where they go. I know on my Williams games there is a switch on the score motor that the credit button gets its connection from. If it's out of adjustment the game won't start even set to freeplay. If you had some mangled switches, that seems suspect. A visual examination can usually see how they should be adjusted. Hope you get it fixed, I enjoy that game and yours is in fine condition.

#8 7 years ago

Thanks. The 1st score wheel switch stack was a bit smashed. I flattened it out an the motor seems to work. I'm not sure about the lower switches in the stack.

2 years later
#9 5 years ago

I made this from the schematic. Enjoy!

B16732D7-0498-46E7-BB2F-201D2E18A5A9 (resized).jpegB16732D7-0498-46E7-BB2F-201D2E18A5A9 (resized).jpeg
#10 5 years ago

Anyone might know why my score motor won’t stop running? I think it could be my coin door wiring. I actually have wired one coin shoot, but not sure about the other mess of wires... can someone with the game help? I don’t have a red/white wire, only a white/red wire in my coin door.

4B14E81F-50E3-4649-A361-D9DDE306F27D (resized).jpeg4B14E81F-50E3-4649-A361-D9DDE306F27D (resized).jpeg
#11 5 years ago

I assume all the yellow get twisted together but I’m lost from here. I saw someone mention the coin door switches control the score motor???

#12 5 years ago

I made this from the schematic. Enjoy!

786938D9-B8AD-440F-AAD9-71C841568675 (resized).jpeg786938D9-B8AD-440F-AAD9-71C841568675 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-nip-it-start-button-not-responding and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.