Topic Stats

• 106 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 34 days ago by MrSanRamon
  • Topic is favorited by 13 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 114 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Overlay Installed (resized).jpg
Wav Trigger - Amplifier (resized).jpg
Chime Mechs (resized).jpg
Wired Relay Block Assembly (resized).jpg
Power Supply - Grounding Block (resized).jpg
Cabinet Overall View (resized).jpg
IMG_20190109_111514 (resized).jpg
Diode Pack Close Up (resized).jpg
B Box Harness in Progress (resized).jpg
B Box wiring (resized).jpg
Relay Block Assembly (resized).jpg
Switches at Chime Locations (resized).jpg
IMG_1640 (resized).JPG
Cabinet Electrical (resized).jpg
Overlay picture (resized).jpg
Wack_a_Mole_Night_Rider (resized).jpg

There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 8 months ago

Having a little trouble getting the overlay to be exact over the inserts, so I had these stickers made to go over the inserts.

That makes the registration issues be a lot less critical.

Bare insert:

IMG_20180525_112459 (resized).jpg

Same insert with the sticker applied, note that the green outer circle has about 1/8-inch of registration allowance:

IMG_20180525_112655 (resized).jpg

#52 8 months ago

Getting closer with the overlay.

PF Overlay crop 1 (resized).jpg

#53 8 months ago

The overlays for the plastics are done!

IMG_20180601_094323 (resized).jpg

#54 8 months ago

A few plastics completed...

Plastics (resized).jpg
#55 8 months ago

Keep chugging along

#56 8 months ago

Nice job .... Can hardly wait to see the end result!

#57 8 months ago

Cabinet decals have arrived. Had them done at WrapJax in Tacoma, Wa. I sent them the files about a week ago and they arrived by mail yesterday in perfect condition. Some pics are a little washed out due to camera, they all look like the Topper.
Topper:

IMG_1578 (resized).JPG

Front Panel:

IMG_1579b (resized).JPG

Backbox side:

IMG_1580 (resized).JPG

#58 8 months ago

Some parts cleaning in paint thinner.

Robert

image (resized).png

#59 8 months ago

Yea, I might have to replace this one...and several more. Really not in that bad of condition for being 40 years old!

image (resized).png

#60 8 months ago

Great progress!

#61 8 months ago

The backglass to translite project is coming along.

Robert

Translite Overlay 8 Small Pic (resized).jpg

#62 8 months ago

Backside text printing layer of translite.

Translite Overlay 8 backside printing small pic (resized).jpg

#63 8 months ago

Side art graphic.

LHS Cabinet Rev 4 small pic (resized).jpg

1 week later
#64 7 months ago

Well, I got the cabinet decals installed. The LHS is a little funky, so I may replace that side later, but the rest turned out really good.

Kind of crappy pics, but it's 100F out so I needed to get the game in the house as soon as I could.

Robert

IMG_20180623_103405 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180623_103453 (resized).jpg

#65 7 months ago

Working on the backbox now. Still lots to do, but progress is being made a little at a time.

Robert

IMG_20180624_084008 (resized).jpg

#66 7 months ago

This is like “watching” a book that I can’t put down.

#67 7 months ago
Quoted from 29REO:

This is like “watching” a book that I can’t put down.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Robert

#68 7 months ago

Prepping the playfield for a coat of paint:

IMG_20180625_112933 (resized).jpg

First coat of white paint on the playfield. The white will give the overlay better color:

IMG_20180625_114524 (resized).jpg

Robert

#69 7 months ago

More progress, the coin door is on and so are the side rails.

Robert

IMG_20180701_095059 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180701_095114 (resized).jpg

#70 7 months ago

Second coat of white paint on the playfield...

IMG_20180701_103345 (resized).jpg

1 week later
#71 7 months ago

Put one of the backbox decals on today.

Robert

IMG_20180708_152438 (resized).jpg

#72 7 months ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

My first pic of a possible theme...

The whack a mole drop targets are a funny idea! Can you imagine re-theming this as "Caddyshack" with Carl Spackler whacking away at the moles?

#73 7 months ago
Quoted from PinballFever:

The whack a mole drop targets are a funny idea! Can you imagine re-theming this as "Caddyshack" with Carl Spackler whacking away at the moles?

I made a Caddy Shack translite for my NGG...bad cell phone pic, sorry.

Robert

IMG_20180601_125204 (resized).jpg

#74 7 months ago

Doing a little more work on the playfield, starting to add the insert decals.

Unfortunately, some of them were made incorrectly, so I'm on hole trying to get them made correctly. The first batch took about 1.5 months to get, hope the corrected ones are faster.

Robert

IMG_20180709_114011 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180709_114050 (resized).jpg

#75 7 months ago

The backbox is now installed, decals on both sides of the head.

Now I work in earnest on the playfield switches, the Translite and the playfield overlay, while I wait for the insert decals to be correctly made.

Robert

IMG_20180709_124521 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180709_124456 (resized).jpg

#76 7 months ago

OMG!

I came over here from the house thread. I read your comment and figured "yeah whatever, I'm bored".

Man I'm glad I did. I was on this thread for a good 20-30 minutes. The best part is when someone suggested caddy shack backglass and you basically said "yeah I did that already" and showed it lol.

Awesome job. I am pretty much amazed at when I see these things.

#77 7 months ago
Quoted from MEuRaH:

OMG!
I came over here from the house thread. I read your comment and figured "yeah whatever, I'm bored".
Man I'm glad I did. I was on this thread for a good 20-30 minutes. The best part is when someone suggested caddy shack backglass and you basically said "yeah I did that already" and showed it lol.
Awesome job. I am pretty much amazed at when I see these things.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Bob

#78 7 months ago

Did you ever make a timeline of when you wanted to finish? If so, are you on schedule?

How much longer do you think it'll be?

#79 7 months ago

Key Chain...

Key Fob Rev (resized).jpg

#80 7 months ago

Working on the metal playfield arch artwork, my paper doll proto:

IMG_20180709_165231 (resized).jpg

#81 7 months ago
Quoted from MEuRaH:

Did you ever make a timeline of when you wanted to finish? If so, are you on schedule?
How much longer do you think it'll be?

Well, good question.

This is a part time project that I work on when I have some time too spend. Since this is the first time doing this, almost everything is taking more time than expected.

A couple of things are taking way more time: the playfield overlay, the playfield switch replacement and the graphics.

If I was going to do it again, I'd take the playfield to a local place and use their Cruse Table Scanner. It was going to be expensive, but it would have saved me a LOT of time and headaches getting the playfield overlay made.

Replacement playfield switches aren't available, so I have been rebuilding them from parts, one-by-one.

The graphics is going along pretty well now, I got a design program called "Affinity Designer" which I taught myself to use. Once I got up to speed with it, this part has been going pretty well.

My hope is to have the machine up and running well enough to take it to Pin-A-Go-Go in October. I estimate I have about 80 to 100 more hours to finish up with what I want to accomplish.

Robert

#82 7 months ago

Whack That Mole
Whack The Mole
Whack Those Moles

Can I get some of those inconsistent drugs you're on?

*Whac-A-Mole*

#83 7 months ago
Quoted from Lets:

Can I get some of those inconsistent drugs you're on?

I'm sure they have plenty in Richmond...

Proto arch decal and they spelled the key tag incorrectly, replacement on the way...drugs apparently not working as well as planned.

Robert

#84 7 months ago

I'm getting ready to start to work on adding sounds to the game, need to finish up a few things first.

The translite is being printed and (hopefully) the last parts ordered. The insert decals are being shipped.

The big remaining item ito order is the playfield overlay. This has been the most difficult piece to finish. I have paper printed many test pieces, a lot of them printed incorrectly by Kinko's... Printed not to scale. I guess I'll just have to print it on vinyl and see how it goes. It should be fine.

Robert

#85 7 months ago

Excellent,

2 weeks later
#86 6 months ago

Have been on vacation and fixing a water leak in the kitchen, so this game has been on hold for awhile.

I did get stickers for the stand-up targets...pic of one installed.

Robert

target pic (resized).jpg

#87 6 months ago

I saw this playfield a couple of days ago, and I'm inspired to double down on my projects! Looking good!

#88 6 months ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

I saw this playfield a couple of days ago, and I'm inspired to double down on my projects! Looking good!

Mike,

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look at what I've been doing...I need to get going on this. Vacation and stuff with the flooded kitchen and the remediation work going on has take all of my free time.

Will start on the Arduino work to try my hand at adding voices to the game this week.

Still need to get both the Translite and the Playfield Overlay printed. Most of the playfield switches have been rebuilt, so artwork and voices are my next effort.

Robert

#89 6 months ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Will start on the Arduino work to try my hand at adding voices to the game this week.

For triggering sounds like MP3 snippets, you might try using a Raspberry Pi Zero. You could do something like this, I think: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=133789

1 month later
#90 5 months ago

Have been on hiatus for awhile, but just started to think about sound additions to the game...some possible game sounds, with a few pics of the progress so far.

Robert

1 month later
#91 3 months ago

Finally got the Translite printed and installed...crappy pic, but it does look better in person.

Robert

Translite 2 (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#92 3 months ago

Translite with a bit better pic...

Translite 3 (resized).jpg

4 weeks later
#93 72 days ago

Today I ordered a playfield overlay today, hope it fits and looks good on the machine. It's been a long path but getting towards the end.

Wack_a_Mole_Night_Rider (resized).jpg

I've got the sparkfun wav trigger programmed with 14 sounds and just need to complete the associated activation wiring on the playfield. There are other ways to trigger sounds, like with an Arduino board...but I have had a bit of difficulty getting the Arduino programmed. So for now it's the wave trigger.

Anyway I'd like to thank those who have offered encouragement, especially ThatOneDude, MEuRaH, transprtr4u, Atari_Daze, Cliffy, pinheadpierre and others.

Robert

#94 72 days ago

Some of the sample sounds I have been thinking of using, for mole whacking...

Robert

#95 72 days ago

Good to see you getting back to your project.

1 week later
#96 62 days ago

Progress has been slow lately, but now I have the overlay printed. Hopefully getting it put on fairly soon, so I can start the reassembly process.

Robert

Overlay picture (resized).jpg

#97 60 days ago

I now have a prototype setup for the sounds, music and voices.

I'm using a SparkFun: Wav Trigger, a WINGONEER XK-2412DC: power supply and a WINGONEER TPA3116D2: 2.1 channel amplifier.

I'm using micro-switches to apply ground to the Wav Trigger inputs to activate stereo sounds, music and voices.

I've added two speakers to the top of the backbox and a woofer in the cabinet bottom.

Still working on optimizing the Wav trigger programming, but progress is being made.

Robert

Cabinet Electrical (resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#98 44 days ago

Got my overlay trimmed, and waiting for some help in putting it down.

The color variation in the pic is due to lighting and how it's laying on the floor. It looks beautiful in person.

Robert

IMG_1640 (resized).JPG

#99 44 days ago

In order to tap into the existing "high voltage" circuits to activate sounds, I have settled on using relays:

https://www.schneider-electric.us/en/product/RPM11E7/power-plug-in-relay---zelio-rpm---1-c-o---48-v-ac---15-a/

and the associated bases:

https://www.schneider-electric.us/en/product/RPZF1/socket-rpz---mixed-contact---16-a----250-v---screw-clamp/

These will attach to the Wav Trigger inputs.

These are not stocked and will take probably another 2 weeks to arrive, ordered in mid-December.

Progress being made!

Robert

1 week later
#100 37 days ago

While I wait for help getting the overlay installed, I have been working on getting the sounds activated during various parts of a game being played.

The main part of the background sounds come from the activation of the chime relays. I put a microswitch at each chime solenoid location, that goes back to the Wav Trigger.

The Wav Trigger board generates polyphonic sounds when a pin is grounded. So I use the microswitches to sink ground, thus activating a Wav Trigger output.

Switches at Chime Locations (resized).jpg

Robert

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 10.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 7.65
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
There are 106 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside