4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by slochar
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Untitled (resized).png
    #1 4 years ago

Hi all I have a Bally Night Rider SS game that I restored and has all boards rebuilt and connectors rebuilt. It also has a new DASH CPU installed.

I uptained an updated Rom file that has new code for an attract mode, bonus collection during ball play, high score display prior to third ball and perhaps more I haven’t discovered.

This issue I have is the game plays perfectly however the bonus feature lamps are always lit. The 100 point inserts for the spinners always on as well as the two pop bumps. In addition. The special red insert in front of the two drop target banks are always on.

I have changed the setting multiple time via the 4 banks of switches to no avail.

Any ideas on what is causing this. I should not that the person I got the rom file from had a video of his game playing and the feature lights worked appropriately.

Thanks Don

#2 4 years ago

Did the lamps work correctly before the ROM change? Can you try a different lamp board? Do they blink in test mode?

comparing what lamps are not working to the lamp driver schematic may give a clue as to if its a missing lamp signal. Like if lamps on connected to each decoder output 0-3 are stuck on or all the lamps not working are associated with one decoder chip. SCRs usually fail off, but sometimes fail always on, I guess its possible a bunch of bad SCRs but seems unlikely if its more than one or two stuck on.

Check the lamp address and lamp data connectors going from MPU J1 to the lamp board.

Untitled (resized).pngUntitled (resized).png

#3 4 years ago

3 ball game pops/spinners do not alternate.
    5 ball game pops/spinners alternate

So on a 3 ball game, it's normal to have the pops and spinners always lit..... not the rest of the lamps though. Sounds like an issue.

Current version is 31

Audit #1 (Replay level 1)
    Audit #2 (Replay Level 2)
    Audit #3 (Replay level 3)
    Audit #4 (HSTD)
    Audit #5 (current credits)
    Audit #6 (# of games played)
    Audit #7 (# of replays)
    Audit #8 (Low score to date)
    Audit #9 (Coin chute 1)
    Audit #10 (coin chute 2) *doesn't exist!!
    Audit #11 (Coin chute 3)

additional audits

audit 12 - # of times HSTD beaten
    audit 13 - # of times bonus max collected at saucer
    audit 14 - # tilts (in game only)
    audit 15 - # extra balls
    audit 16 - # completed 1 player games
    audit 17 - # completed 2 player games
    audit 18 - # completed 3 player games
    audit 19 - # completed 4 player games
    audit 20 - # matches
    audit 21 - # games abandoned (restarted before game over)
    audit 22 - # free games paid
    audit 23 - # left drains
    audit 24 - # right drains
    audit 25 - # SDTM drains
    audit 26 - # specials
    audit 27 - # slam tilts
    audit 28 - tournament setting status (!0=tournament mode)

Tournament mode automatically disables any replay knocking
    from specials/scores as well as blocking extra ball awards.

#4 4 years ago

Thank you had it set to 3 ball play switched to 5 ball play and works as it should. So I’m assuming this is a function of the new ROM? As I don’t remember it being an issue prior to the restoration and installation of the updated Rom which I love!

Don

#5 4 years ago

Thank you for the video and detailed audit I have ver 27. Here is a quick vid of my game.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from Pintopia:

Thank you had it set to 3 ball play switched to 5 ball play and works as it should. So I’m assuming this is a function of the new ROM? As I don’t remember it being an issue prior to the restoration and installation of the updated Rom which I love!
    Don

No, it's stock behavior.
    Here's the bally code for it:
    ldb $4E ;dips 9-16
    bpl L170B ;dip 16 off, branch (3 balls per game)
    sta 3,x ;light pops/spinners (A contains #$ff here, which blanks lamps)

Any 50 point score add (might be 10 point adds) runs the following as part of its code:
    ;swaps entire contents of lamp locations $203 with $204
    ldx #$0200
    lda 3,x
    ldb 4,x
    sta 4,x
    stb 3,x

Since 3 balls per game sets all those lamps ON, it's swapping like for like, on for on. When set to 5 balls per game, some of those are set off.
    They actually specifically turn all those lamps on at start, and only off if set to 5 balls per game. You could try it at 5 balls per game if you like and see if it works it should I've never actually tried mine that way.

Here's the changes between 27 and 31:

;6-25-2012
    ;v28 Revamp drop target handling; still all down with no where to go occasionally.
    ; Add in switch strip in main loop for c1r6 (LSTD flipper cabinet switch)

;v29 drop target handling revamp didn't work in v28, corrected in v29, tied to solenoid period timer

;11-2-2013
    ;v31 hold in left flipper button at boot to clear LSTD

Not a lot. Left flipper button switch is an added switch that you have to isolate from the high voltage flipper button.

$100 for an NOS PF was a great deal. I remember seeing one at pinfest several years ago from Mark Clayton (RIP) and it was pretty cheap but very yellowed. I should have bought it as NR is one of my favorite early solid states as well. Great party game, especially for dollars. Love giving a big shove to the game to save from an outlane, thinking I got away with it, ball comes into inlane and I realize I've tilted..... doh!!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-night-rider-rom-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.