You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image2 (resized).png
Night 1 (resized).JPG
night2 (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
Bally_Night_Rider_Schematic.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 2 years ago

Ok I thought I had this thing all dialed in and now it's in a spot that requires me to move a bunch of stuff to service. Of course that's when it would develop a new issue. Ugh.

The problem occurs when playing a game and the ball drains. Sometimes after the bonus unit will count down, the drops will reset and then try to reset again. Even though they are up and ready. Some balls are fine with no issue. Other times it may try to reset 3 times before kicking the ball out. Sometimes it will also advance an additonal ball in play. Example advance from ball 4 to 5 after already advancing from 3.

I'm sure it's a slightly mis-adjusted switch somewhere. I checked the drop target reset relay, drop target unit switches and bonus unit switches. The bonus unit pulses also when this happens.

I suspect a score motor switch as that's where my last issue was discovered. Can you schematic guys school me once more. Sorry I'm not more intuitive with them.

Bally_Night_Rider_Schematic.pdfBally_Night_Rider_Schematic.pdf
#2 2 years ago

So the target reset fires when Motor 3a and the Drop Target Reset relay is pulling.
Or if the same motor switch and the out hole Relay is pulling.

I suspect that the out hole relay is not releasing and executing the reset again.

I recommend checking the highlighted switches. The outhole and the bonus Unit Make or break switch. (Highlighted in Green).

Night 1 (resized).JPGNight 1 (resized).JPGnight2 (resized).JPGnight2 (resized).JPGpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 2 years ago

you could check the out hole kicker switches.

pasted_image2 (resized).pngpasted_image2 (resized).png
#4 2 years ago

Awe man I played around and thought I had it. If I manually activated the outhole relay it would sometimes kick out and reset the drops and sometimes it would do it twice. Ugh. But if I held it in with a little pressure it would work every time. So I inspected that relay a bit closer. Switch adjustment looks pretty good but I discovered a loose screw in the switch stack. Tightened it down thinking that was going to be it but no dice. I'm frustrated and took a break. Have to dig a bit deeper some time this week.

My gut is the outhole relay needs a bit more fine tuning or a score motor switch isn't engaging long enough. I looked at 3A. Doesn't seem to be it.

#5 2 years ago

For follow up and future reference. Found this post on RGP that covers the same issue. Looks like I need to inspect score motor switch 8B.
https://groups.google.com/g/rec.games.pinball/c/mru-v3_aSc0/m/mH97UWK1QxMJ

#6 2 years ago

the outhole relay is powered when the bonus unit is reset, and keeps itself powered thru the score motor 8B switch.

if you manually closed the outhole relay and it stayed closed, but the kicker didn't fire to send the ball to the shooter, then argosysk's post #3 is the likely circuit with the problem - 7B or an outhole relay switch.

if you manually closed the outhole relay and it released before the ball kicked over, then 8B or the outhole relay hold switch is the problem.

the main thing is what "with pressure" did. Either you were holding the relay closed so an 8B or outhole relay hold switch problem was masked, or you made a barely closing contact in the kicker circuit work better.

sounds like everything is a side effect of the ball not kicking over to the shooter.

#7 2 years ago

Score motor switch 8B adjusted and problem solved. So happy.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-night-rider-one-last-glitch-ugh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.