• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by barakandl
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hello,

Bally MPU Module: AS-2518-? while playing will drop out. All the controlled lamps go out and displays will go out. I am forced to reboot, sometimes with difficulty booting. Is there a specific plug that would be more likely be the cause? I have a solid 5VDC at the driver board with no ac getting by. I really have no information on the MPU so I do not know what should be found at i's TP's.

Thanks guys for any guidance,

Tom

#2 1 year ago

When you mention difficulty booting: how many flashes do you see the MPU make? The initial quick flicker from the LED should be followed by seven solid flashes on a proper boot.

#3 1 year ago

First suspect in this kind of lockup is the chip sockets.

#4 1 year ago

Thanks for your replies,

Quoted from frunch:

When you mention difficulty booting: how many flashes do you see the MPU make? The initial quick flicker from the LED should be followed by seven solid flashes on a proper boot.

When it boots its a normal 7 flashes from LED.

When it fails during play after it been running normally for several games, there will be a tiny glow in the LED and the displays will have a little glow in the corner.

When it fails to boot, there will be a tiny glow in the LED.

I have re seated all the socketed chips. If I had some data on this board I could at least take a probe and see what's missing when it fails to boot. If it is an issue with any of the

I could narrow it down. When I ask for detailed information of this board I seem to get " why bother, buy a new one for $200", but I'm not able to do that.

Thanks guys,

Tom

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from tcw16505:

If I had some data on this board I could at least take a probe and see what's missing when it fails to boot.

Sockets are extremely difficult to troubleshoot if it is them that fail in this way - just the act of probing the chips could make good enough contact for it to work.

If they are the original style single wipe sockets (closed frame, little rectangle on each pin, if you pull that frame off there's only one contact) just replace them.

It could also be the rom chips themselves.

It's worth trying to fix. If you do have to replace it just buy one of the ones that people take out and replace with new - lots of people (especially resellers) just replace the boards so people have peace of mind/they don't have to worry about servicing new boards so there's lots of perfectly working boards available, usually not more than $100 or so.

#7 1 year ago

Game reboot could also be a wonky slam switch. If the game sees a slam it will reboot normally. Make sure the two slam switches on the door and by the tilt are not over-sensitive and look for a stuck or shorted coin switch.

#8 1 year ago

Big Al,

Quoted from BigAl56:

Game reboot could also be a wonky slam switch.

Ill check it out.

Tom

#9 1 year ago

Don't forget about power. So very often the orange 12v unreg return wire between the SDB and rectifier board burns up and the 5v/12v will drop out or go low. If it is intermittent it will make the power on reset circuit kick the MPU into getting reset and then it comes back on when the 5v/12v becomes good again. This comes up A LOT. (ground mods band aid it).

Gentle flexing on the MPU and put your finger on a chip and kind of rotate it back and forth will usually expose a flaked out IC socket. The -17 MPUs had really bad IC sockets.

The games without a sound board will look like a reset when they slam. They just start the flash sequence over, so that is something to consider.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-night-rider-mpu-randomly-freezes-up?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.