20210806_165254 (resized).jpg
20210806_165228 (resized).jpg
20210806_165215 (resized).jpg
20210806_124656 (resized).jpg
20210804_140018 (resized).jpg
C060759B-326F-4160-9C11-87090D0780EE (resized).jpeg
20210105_095645 (resized).jpg
20210726_155635 (resized).jpg
There are 279 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.
#251 2 years ago

Are ‘non-ghosting’ the same as ‘Frosted’?

I’m assuming they are but it may not matter for my machines because I only used the LEDs in the backbox and on the playfield. Left 47s for the inserts.

Looking forward to seeing a picture of them in Ron’s Night Rider.

#252 2 years ago

No, they are not.

Frosted or clear are lens options.

You should be fine with normal leds in those locations. The "controlled" lights have the issues.

#253 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

No, they are not.
Frosted or clear are lens options.
You should be fine with normal leds in those locations. The "controlled" lights have the issues.

Yes. When a coil is fired there is a magnetic field collapse that induces a current into the "controlled lamp" circuit that causes them to flicker and flash.

GI is on all the time so non-issue.

#254 2 years ago

Thanks for the clarification but what exactly is a non-ghosting led bulb?

#255 2 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Thanks for the clarification but what exactly is a non-ghosting led bulb?

gdonovan said it in the post just above yours. I'll add this for more info, paraphrased from the Comet Pinball website:

If you have an insert (or other type of controlled lighting) that subtly flickers when it should be off, you need non-ghosting bulbs to fix the issue. Your game is sending a small amount of voltage to the socket, not enough to light an incandescent bulb, but enough for an LED.

These non-ghosting bulbs are our standard recommendation for inserts. They're a little more expensive, but contain a resistor that prevent small amounts of voltage from illuminating the bulb.

#257 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Yes. When a coil is fired there is a magnetic field collapse that induces a current into the "controlled lamp" circuit that causes them to flicker and flash.
GI is on all the time so non-issue.

Thanks for the info.

Quoted from Mathazar:

gdonovan said it in the post just above yours. I'll add this for more info, paraphrased from the Comet Pinball website:
If you have an insert (or other type of controlled lighting) that subtly flickers when it should be off, you need non-ghosting bulbs to fix the issue. Your game is sending a small amount of voltage to the socket, not enough to light an incandescent bulb, but enough for an LED.
These non-ghosting bulbs are our standard recommendation for inserts. They're a little more expensive, but contain a resistor that prevent small amounts of voltage from illuminating the bulb.

Thanks for that. That’s great to know if I do decide to put LEDs under the playfield.

#258 2 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Thanks for the info.

Thanks for that. That’s great to know if I do decide to put LEDs under the playfield.

I just did a Bally Old Chicago PF swap, and tried non-ghosting below the special, free ball, star rollover and double bonus lamps with Comet non-ghosting. All locations except the star rollover flickered so bad I had to revert back to 47s... folks here on Pinside have reported various results on different games... so if you're considering them, it's worth a shot IMO, as smart use of LEDs can enhance certain insert colors, especially with the warm non-ghosting varieties.

#259 2 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

I just did a Bally Old Chicago PF swap, and tried non-ghosting below the special, free ball, star rollover and double bonus lamps with Comet non-ghosting. All locations except the star rollover flickered so bad I had to revert back to 47s... folks here on Pinside have reported various results on different games... so if you're considering them, it's worth a shot IMO, as smart use of LEDs can enhance certain insert colors, especially with the warm non-ghosting varieties.

Thanks for the info. I think I’m just going to stay with the 47s under the playfield then and the Frosted LEDs in the backbox and on the playfield. It looks good that way to me.

Sorry to hijack this thread but lastly, I have to say how nice it was to have all the bulbs working or not flickering on My Aladdin’s Castle after installing LEDs. I thought I’d have to change a bunch of sockets but I didn’t have to change one.

#260 2 years ago
Quoted from Sea_Wolf:

Thanks for the info. I think I’m just going to stay with the 47s under the playfield then and the Frosted LEDs in the backbox and on the playfield. It looks good that way to me.
Sorry to hijack this thread but lastly, I have to say how nice it was to have all the bulbs working or not flickering on My Aladdin’s Castle after installing LEDs. I thought I’d have to change a bunch of sockets but I didn’t have to change one.

Yep, SS in BG locations definitely adds some brightness in areas that need it... I like colored non-ghosting Comet LEDs behind a few areas, interspersed with 47s... kinda fun to experiment to get the look you like. Have fun with it.

#261 2 years ago

Correct lights expected Saturday.

Decided I was already sweaty and gross today from helping a friend this morning, why not just power through?

Just a few more items left!

Today was a good day...

20210812_172103 (resized).jpg20210812_172103 (resized).jpg20210812_172122 (resized).jpg20210812_172122 (resized).jpg
#262 2 years ago

Looking good!

#263 2 years ago

Nice work.

Although the rubber rings behind your drop targets are going to get in the way. You need to ring to the adjacent post at the top of each bank and then put a single post rubber on the very top post you are ringed around now.

Just sayin in case.....

#264 2 years ago

Been great reading this thread! Awesome work. I just sold my NR and he will be restoring it.

#265 2 years ago

Nice work.
Although the rubber rings behind your drop targets are going to get in the way. You need to ring to the adjacent post at the top of each bank and then put a single post rubber on the very top post you are ringed around now.
Just sayin in case.....</blockquote

Some folks have said that lower bounce alternatives to rubber work to reduce bricking on Bally drop banks, like super bands or titans... never tried it but i'm ordering a few for my Old Chicago bank to see if there's any change.

#266 2 years ago

Thanks all.

Yeah, a few more rings here and there. I did remember to add them to the center target later.

I couldn't stand being so close, so I went back out and "finished" the job. We all know things are rarely finished, but I played a game at least.

The orange peel is still killing me in pics, but playing a game it isn't as bad.

So, I've got a few more tweaks, but I'm calling this "done". I'll post full pics and hopefully a short vid once I've wrapped up.

Thanks for riding along!

20210812_200331 (resized).jpg20210812_200331 (resized).jpg
#267 2 years ago

Wow, I have this in my stable, and have just completed a deep cleaning on it, and about the only part that was as rusted as the OP's was the weight for one of the count units.

The waitress chick has always been one of my favorites.

#268 2 years ago
Quoted from swampwiz:

The waitress chick has always been one of my favorites.

A coworker of mine has her tattooed on his leg!

#269 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Thanks all.
Yeah, a few more rings here and there. I did remember to add them to the center target later.
I couldn't stand being so close, so I went back out and "finished" the job. We all know things are rarely finished, but I played a game at least.
The orange peel is still killing me in pics, but playing a game it isn't as bad.
So, I've got a few more tweaks, but I'm calling this "done". I'll post full pics and hopefully a short vid once I've wrapped up.
Thanks for riding along![quoted image]

Just curious why you didn't spray a heavier coat, let dry and sand flat, then hit the buffer... my Bally Expressway looked the same as yours after my 2nd coat... I had to spray two medium coats afterwards, sanding between coats to get it back to a nice non-bumpy sheen. Does take a LOT more time though. Like the look of the lamps... the game definitely needs some brightness... you nailed it.

#270 2 years ago

Nice job, @ronss! I've enjoyed this thread, looking forward to your next one!

#271 2 years ago
Quoted from Dono:

Just curious why you didn't spray a heavier coat, let dry and sand flat, then hit the buffer... my Bally Expressway looked the same as yours after my 2nd coat... I had to spray two medium coats afterwards, sanding between coats to get it back to a nice non-bumpy sheen. Does take a LOT more time though. Like the look of the lamps... the game definitely needs some brightness... you nailed it.

Well, this was my first clear project. I had spent several days and a few cans of Spraymax 2K already. I was definitely laying it on too thin to start, and by the time I got here I was about out of clear.

Add to that we were just about to get over a week of super moist weather. My patience quit. No doubt about it.

I could have spent another $50 on clear and waited the weather out, but it just wasn't in the cards this round.

Live and learn, right?

I've learned a TON, about many aspects of this EM.

#272 2 years ago
Quoted from RonSS:

Well, this was my first clear project. I had spent several days and a few cans of Spraymax 2K already. I was definitely laying it on too thin to start, and by the time I got here I was about out of clear.
Add to that we were just about to get over a week of super moist weather. My patience quit. No doubt about it.
I could have spent another $50 on clear and waited the weather out, but it just wasn't in the cards this round.
Live and learn, right?
I've learned a TON, about many aspects of this EM.

All part of the learning process my friend, there is always the next one to step things up!

#273 2 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

All part of the learning process my friend, there is always the next one to step things up!

Without a doubt! It's a tedious process and I've made my share of mistakes along the way. Every playfield you do from here on out it gets better. Keep on truckin!

1 month later
#274 2 years ago

This is a great looking project!

I have what might be a silly question. Does the EM version of this machine play identical to the SS version? Anything different than the score reels and chimes versus the digital displays?

#275 2 years ago
Quoted from DanMarino:

This is a great looking project!
I have what might be a silly question. Does the EM version of this machine play identical to the SS version? Anything different than the score reels and chimes versus the digital displays?

I'm not certain. I believe there was a slight difference though? I'm certain someone else will chime in soon.

#276 2 years ago

Great question. I have the SS version and often wondered if there was a difference.
If I ever see one at Pinfest or York, I'll have to give it some extra attention.

1 month later
#277 2 years ago

From my playing both in various times in the past. I didn't have the ability to pop the hood and look. But cabinet are the same and have chimes. There my be a slight bit of the art around the score windows to add white mask for score reels on em as to the ss having plasma gas display for scoring. I would have to look at both to see if credit wheel window is different to. Check ipd page they mare have more there.

11 months later
#278 1 year ago

Hi @ronss! You still have your EM Night Rider? I just picked up one myself today (project, not working, but complete and pretty clean). My first EM! My Black Knight restoration is in the home stretch, then I start working on Night Rider. I'll send you a link to my EM Night Rider restoration thread once I get going. In the meantime, here are my "brought this home today" pix:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-machine-did-you-bring-home-today-post-your-pictures/page/494#post-7164151

#279 1 year ago
Quoted from Mathazar:

Hi RonSS! You still have your EM Night Rider? I just picked up one myself today (project, not working, but complete and pretty clean). My first EM! My Black Knight restoration is in the home stretch, then I start working on Night Rider. I'll send you a link to my EM Night Rider restoration thread once I get going. In the meantime, here are my "brought this home today" pix:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/what-machine-did-you-bring-home-today-post-your-pictures/page/494#post-7164151

I was just reading your "What machine did you bring home today " post! My Night Rider has been passed along, but I have fond memories. You're going to love the learning curve on EMs. As noted, once dialed in, you're pretty much done.

As always, take lots of pictures before dismantling parts for cleaning, etc.

Lots of good people will help you out on here.
Looking forward to the restoration thread!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

There are 279 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-night-rider-em-refurb-in-progress/page/6 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.