• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Pinball (resized).png
#1 5 years ago

Hi everyone -
I have a Bally Night Rider EM which is awesome. I have learned to appreciate what a great machine this is, especially since I also acquired a Gottlieb Sys3 machine and its been nothing but headaches!! But that's another story...

Looking for any thoughts on the only issue I am having with the Bally. So as far as I can tell, there are two ways to earn an extra ball. (1) achieve a score in excess of a predetermined amount (ie: I have it set to 60,000), and (2) knock down all the drop targets, "Extra Ball When Lit" will light on both the left and right side, and if the ball exits through either side (as opposed to down the middle), an extra ball will be earned.

Well, to make a long story short(er), (1) above works fine, (2) does not.

If the drop targets are all dropped, the "Extra Ball When Lit" marker WILL light up on both sides. However, if the ball exits through either side, no Extra Ball is awarded.

Any thoughts?

I have the schematics, but its above my knowledge/skill level at this point unfortunately (but I am working on it...).

thanks much
Mike.

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from paco:

If the drop targets are all dropped, the "Extra Ball When Lit" marker WILL light up on both sides. However, if the ball exits through either side, no Extra Ball is awarded.

If the Total Sequence relay is holding in, check this switch.

Pinball (resized).pngPinball (resized).png

#3 5 years ago

a clue...excellent! Thanks I will check that this evening..> and report back.

#4 5 years ago

Contacts to wide on the rollovers?
It is a double set, maybe dirty.

#5 5 years ago

Also...can be set so either completing one bank of 5 lights the special, or both 5 banks must be dropped. Than clearing 1 or both banks again will award extra ball (or possibly a point value, cant recall if that is an option).

#6 5 years ago

Well, I looked at the Total Sequence switch in question - its towards the back of the machine so tough to get at - the contacts look clean and the gap looks good although there are two on the bottom that look like they could be a little wide, but I cant really get to them to try to close the gap a bit. I am not well versed on this stuff...obviously.

I mean, when the drop targets are dropped (in either mode pointed out by Swillie above), the outholes either on both are one side light as they should. The Outhole rollover switch looks good and operational as they register when a ball is lost. Plus boths sides would have to be bad for it to be that.

I thought I may be on to something with the Total Sequence relay, but I am not sure really what to do with it. I wonder if there is a way I can test the switch to see ifd I can get a false positive or something (ie: press the contacts together and see if it awards an extra ball?)...

#7 5 years ago
Quoted from paco:

I thought I may be on to something with the Total Sequence relay, but I am not sure really what to do with it. I wonder if there is a way I can test the switch to see ifd I can get a false positive or something (ie: press the contacts together and see if it awards an extra ball?)...

Alligator clip jumper wires to the rescue.
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features

#8 5 years ago

HowardR - thank you so much - this is very helpful, I will work through this and report back. thank you again!!!!!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-night-rider-em-advice-on-extra-ball-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.