Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by tayamo
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

First, let me say that I'm relatively new to the Pinball repair game, so bear with me please.

I have a Bally Mystic (1980 SS) that started having an issue a few days ago.

None of the solenoids on the table will fire. It starts up, resets, and seems fine to start. Press Start Game and a game will begin with the score resetting to 0. However, none of the solenoids fire. It used to do a reset before the ball kicked out, and now nothing. The flippers don't work. The solenoids don't work.

When I run the diagnostic tests, the solenoid test runs through the diagnostic for all the solenoids, and it doesn't show any errors, but none of them work.

I've done some reading online here on Pinside and other sites.

I've checked the under the playfield fuse, and it appears to be fine.

Now, we did have some intermittent issues with the coin door. The machine is set on Free Play, but there was a time a couple of weeks ago, when we had a similar issue, that we just checked the coin door connections, and that seemed to solve the issue then.

I've read that the Solenoids are all on one circuit, so if power is cut to one of them, the ones earlier in the chain won't work. Could it be an issue with the Coin Door Solenoid, do you think? Is that the first in circuit on these Bally early SS machines?

Or, do you think it's a board issue?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Patrick

#2 8 years ago

At first I would suspect the 43 Volt fuse on the rectifier board but if it's booting I don't think that's your problem.

The solenoid on the coin door is not necessary for home use - it's there to reject the coin if the machine is turned off. You can just cut the wires off.

Do you have voltage at the solenoids under the play-field? Will they fire if you ground one?

Bob

#3 8 years ago

Isn't there a fuse on the Playfield for the coils? I sold my mystic but thought there's one under the Playfield

#4 8 years ago

There should be a fuse under the playfield for all of the playfield coils. The dead give away for this is to run the coil test. If the knocker coil still fires but the playfield ones do not, look for a fuse on the bottom of the playfield.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from tayamo:

I've checked the under the playfield fuse, and it appears to be fine.

Did you just look at it or did you take it out and check it with a meter?

But I don't think the play-field fuse would keep the flippers from working?

Also (hopefully someone more knowledgeable then me can answer) - Is it possible that the solenoid return line could be broken and the MPU still boot?

4 weeks later
#6 8 years ago

Thanks everyone for the replies. It turns out the solenoid driver board was shot, and that was what was killing all the solenoids. Ordered a replacement board, installed in 5 minutes, and the game plays awesome now. Thanks for the hints.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 199.95
$ 69.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-mystic-solenoids and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.