Bally Mystic - no displays

By singlebanana

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Picked up a Bally Mystic this weekend. Had sound issues and solenoids not firing, which I traced and fixed by repinning some connectors and repairing a fuse holder respectively. The last issue is that I am getting no displays. I have reseated the connectors, but other than that I haven't looked into anything else. They were working when the previous owner got the game and when he bought it, he put in LEDs (no board upgrade). Could the LEDs be causing a power issue, or is the board upgrade basically just used to stop flickering? Also, where should I look to fix my display problem. Thanks.

#2 9 years ago

most likely the HV section of the solenoid board is broken and needs a rebuild.

no 190V = no displays

#3 9 years ago

Rich, texted as well, but there's a pot on the solenoid driver that adjusts the HV for the displays. Check TP2 and see what you are getting DC voltage wise. Could be as simple as adjusting that pot, anywhere between 170-190vdc generally works

#4 9 years ago

Thanks guys. I will check TP2 and adjust the pot if necessary and get back to you.

#5 9 years ago

High voltage was a little low after testing, so I adjusted to pot to a 185-192 range. Still no displays. I have some smaller connectors coming in from Great Plains, so going to go through and repin them in a few days.

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from singlebanana:

High voltage was a little low after testing, so I adjusted to pot to a 185-192 range. Still no displays. I have some smaller connectors coming in from Great Plains, so going to go through and repin them in a few days.

There's a "main" TP2 on the SDB board where you adjust the HV display source voltage, but there is also another TP2 on the 6 digit display driver boards. Check the TP2 on the display driver board for the +190VDC, this would confirm if your HV is actually getting to the displays (if not, potentially the connectors are indeed suspect in this case)

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

There's a "main" TP2 on the SDB board where you adjust the HV display source voltage, but there is also another TP2 on the 6 digit display driver boards. Check the TP2 on the display driver board for the +190VDC, this would confirm if your HV is actually getting to the displays (if not, potentially the connectors are indeed suspect in this case)

Great thought. I will check this tonight.

#8 9 years ago

Looks like it's probably the connectors. No juice on any of the display driver boards.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from singlebanana:

Looks like it's probably the connectors. No juice on any of the display driver boards.

Then it is probably the connector at the power supply board. Check first: see that +190VDC is present at both ends of the 3/16A fuse (ground/black lead of your meter on system ground or braid, probe each side of the fuse clip). This fuse is the last thing the display voltage hits before exiting the connector J3 pin 8. If the voltage is there, you can also pull up the connector slightly to see if the voltage is getting to the pin, then probe the top of the connector pin to see if the connector is making contact. This, however, will not tell you if the crimp or wire itself has failed.

#10 9 years ago

Just something I noticed on the MPU. There is no connector on the pins at the very top of the MPU board. Previous owner took all of the connectors off when moving the machine. I looked through the cab and head and don't see another connector. Just want to make sure that I didn't somehow bolt down the head with a connector between it and the cabinet. I seem to remember that not all of the pins on some Bally boards are used.

#11 9 years ago

You probably mean J5, the big 32 pin connector - that is a special test connector that is not used when mounted in the game.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

You probably mean J5, the big 32 pin connector - that is a special test connector that is not used when mounted in the game.

That's what I thought, but I wanted to make sure. Thank you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 69.00
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-mystic-no-displays and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.