(Topic ID: 236587)

Bally Mystic Club. The Eye is Watching. . .

By TractorDoc

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 173 posts
  • 36 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by aobrien5
  • Topic is favorited by 17 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20240112_134344 (resized).jpg
20240109_202212 (resized).jpg
20240109_173948 (resized).jpg
20240107_172740 (resized).jpg
IMAG1313.jpg
IMAG1318.jpg
mystic magicians (resized).jpg
20230416_105126 (resized).jpg
20230416_105116 (resized).jpg
FEA168F5-9DF6-41A6-9A17-1C23ECBCC00A (resized).jpeg
E77FE5B5-D109-4F4C-92B6-44497E3DC14A (resized).jpeg
6F1F9DCB-801D-442D-80D6-8CB9E33E7F3C (resized).jpeg
B142531A-BEA1-4C06-AC38-1C72527FAFBA (resized).jpeg
C4764DB3-4A58-4DB2-AE06-125B3C502C2C (resized).jpeg
0796C50D-E4D6-43CD-B28E-B94B141EA22F (resized).jpeg
E3EBB882-830E-4848-B1BD-04E595C456D3 (resized).jpeg
There are 173 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.
#1 5 years ago

Mystic does not seem to get the love as some of the other early Bally's do. . . but I really like mine.

Drop targets, spinners, kickout saucer, captive ball. . . plus several different strategies to shoot for at once.

My playfield is a bit worn, hoping a replacement or even a hardtop comes available someday.

5J5A9322 (resized).JPG5J5A9322 (resized).JPG

5J5A9318 (resized).JPG5J5A9318 (resized).JPG

#2 5 years ago

Just playing some last week, love the game and would like to own one. You'd think it has low production numbers how little you hear aboot it but it really doesn't.

#3 5 years ago

Let me know if you ever come across an early production (no sticker) backglass.

#4 5 years ago

I have one with the 3D insert for the backglass. It is super cool.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

I have one with the 3D insert for the backglass. It is super cool.

Same here. I'm just missing the black circular insert that goes between the glass and the inset picture.

#6 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Same here. I'm just missing the black circular insert that goes between the glass and the inset picture.

You mean the light board on the metal rails to illuminate the insert between eyes and pyramids. Its actually has 4 control lamps on it. Pretty easy to make.

#7 5 years ago

Mystic is a fun game, have had 2 so far. Both with the 3D inserts. Great spinner sounds when they are lit!

#8 5 years ago

You mean the light board on the metal rails to illuminate the insert between eyes and pyramids. Its actually has 4 control lamps on it. Pretty easy to make.

No, there was a long skinny (cardboard?) piece that was bent into a circle and stuck in the hole on the front of the light panel so you couldn't see the white light panel through the hole in the glass.

2 weeks later
#9 5 years ago

Just noticed that CPR has Mystic Playfields "In Production" on their website. . . maybe it was always there but now I have more reason to pay attention.

My playfield has quite a bit of wear so I will be glad for the option. Count one more sign up for preorder.

#10 5 years ago

Very fun game! (Let's keep the secret). I'm hoping to find one in Allentown.

#11 5 years ago

They had playfield and glass art in the works for many years. Not sure when/if it'll see the light of day.

#12 5 years ago

Kevin sent an email asking if we are committed on the field. I said absolutely.!!! Can't wait one of my favorite games of all time.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

No, there was a long skinny (cardboard?) piece that was bent into a circle and stuck in the hole on the front of the light panel so you couldn't see the white light panel through the hole in the glass.

Does your game have the center of the backglass with the eye on it.? The piece of mylar on the glass? or just a hole.

#14 5 years ago

Does your game have the center of the backglass with the eye on it.? The piece of mylar on the glass? or just a hole.

Just the hole. Mine is #25. In fact, it was YOU that told me I was missing the black piece. I just went searching for a pic of it and saw.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-like-paragon-you-will-love/page/4#post-2496681

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

Just the hole. Mine is #25. In fact, it was YOU that told me I was missing the black piece. I just went searching for a pic of it and saw.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/if-you-like-paragon-you-will-love/page/4#post-2496681

Yup. Great searching. You need that

#16 5 years ago

Trying to get my Mystic presentable enough to take to the Ohio Pinball Show next month. Pulled the drop mechs to give everything a good cleaning -- a before/after pic of the drop targets:

5J5A9662 (resized).JPG5J5A9662 (resized).JPG

Also just finished installing a new rectifier board from PBR. The old one had several wiring hacks and I was experiencing complete loss of GI.

#17 5 years ago

Yup. Great searching. You need that

Any more info you can give me to fabricate one? Measurements? Material?

#18 5 years ago

Can I ask a favor to anyone with a Mystic Manual with the schematics? I've been using a Silverball Mania manual and it has worked thus far, but I doubt the playfield inserts are the same.

My 3X Bonus lamps were not working, yet test fine with a direct lamp test under the playfield. Trying to trace the path back to the lamp driver board and would like to know which J connector and pin on that connector are specific to those (3X) inserts.

Thanks for any help!

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from TractorDoc:

Can I ask a favor to anyone with a Mystic Manual with the schematics?

Fixed my issue by tracing wires.

When I had bought this game the GI was not working. Somehow I did not notice this until after I had it home -- amazing what gets overlooked when the excitement of obtaining a new pin kicks in. The old rectifier board looked rough. The GI connectors were burned and the wires had been removed/soldered directly to the pins on the back of the board. A new board from Pinball Resource is now in place:

5J5A9722 (resized).JPG5J5A9722 (resized).JPG

The new board and repining connectors (everywhere!) fixed my lack of Illumination!

5J5A9719 (resized).JPG5J5A9719 (resized).JPG

I also made a new light baffle for the eye/pyramid lights on the backbox panel. The original (sitting on/above my new piece in the picture) stuck out far enough that it actually made significant contact with the backglass -- so much that it put pressure on the glass when it was installed. I thought taking the stress of the glass might be a good idea. . . if nothing else it makes me feel better.

5J5A9721 (resized).JPG5J5A9721 (resized).JPG

Must have played 20? 30? games in the last two or so days. Hard to walk away!

5J5A9725 (resized).JPG5J5A9725 (resized).JPG

Still have several things on the to do list. Next up will be updating the 5V and High Voltage components on the Solenoid Driver Board.

#20 5 years ago

Looks great! Sorry I missed your last question!

1 week later
#21 5 years ago

Doc - I have a manual at home that came with the machine I bought on craigslist. I can scan and email you the pages tomorrow. I had no idea that there was an issue with the GI board when I sold you the machine. (Not even sure what that is, but the pictures look amazing seeing the machine lit up) I am so sorry about that. The game is a lot of fun and we are enjoying the new one we bought. If you need anything, let me know and I'll help...

I don't think you are a big fan of the LED's but it makes the machine pop!!!

Mystic (resized).jpgMystic (resized).jpg
#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Scott9:

Doc - I have a manual at home that came with the machine I bought on craigslist. I can scan and email you the pages tomorrow. I had no idea that there was an issue with the GI board when I sold you the machine.

Not a problem at all. Fixing them up is one of the things I like. Don't worry about the scans, I was able to get everything all worked out. Welcome to Pinside and glad to hear you are enjoying your "new" game!

#23 5 years ago

I'm in need of the lampboard for the backbox. Does anyone have one they want to sell?

7 months later
#24 4 years ago

Joining the Mystic Club!

Mine has the 3D eye. #1265.

Not playable until the right flipper is fixed. The scores look like spaghetti, but player one is ok. Have a tech coming out to give the machine a going over. "He's a good man, and thorough."

Thinking of getting the 7 digit led displays from XPin so it'll keep better track of high scores. Any thoughts on that?

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Joining the Mystic Club!
Mine has the 3D eye. #1265.
Not playable until the right flipper is fixed. The scores look like spaghetti, but player one is ok. Have a tech coming out to give the machine a going over. "He's a good man, and thorough."
Thinking of getting the 7 digit led displays from XPin so it'll keep better track of high scores. Any thoughts on that?

Congrats! Probably a good idea!

1 week later
#26 4 years ago

My Mystic is up & running! Just needs some fine tuning.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Xenon75:

Great spinner sounds when they are lit!

That's one of my favorite parts of the game.

#28 4 years ago

Framed.

20191205_195112 (resized).jpg20191205_195112 (resized).jpg
#29 4 years ago

Very nice!

#30 4 years ago

I've read that the characters are supposed to be famous magicians. Anyone know who the main guy with the wand is supposed to be?

#31 4 years ago

I've heard that too, but not sure. The guy on the right is obviously Houdini.

#32 4 years ago

My wife thinks it looks like Vincent Price. She loves Vincent Price and now I have pinball machine

1 week later
#33 4 years ago

At the Christmas party last night, they had clear acrylic ornaments and markers for drawing your own ornament.

mystic ornament (resized).jpgmystic ornament (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#34 4 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

I've read that the characters are supposed to be famous magicians. Anyone know who the main guy with the wand is supposed to be?

I'm an amateur magician, and I do own a Mystic (with recessed eye!) so I know who the magicians are. Starting with the most prominent magician at 12:00 with the wand, that's Dante, real name Harry Jansen, who used the phrase "Sim Sala Bim" as his trademark saying. At 3:00, the magician with the handcuffs is Harry Houdini, real name Erich Weiss, who made his fortune as an escape artist. At lower left, roughly 8:00, the magician floating the female assistant is Harry Kellar and the "Levitation of Princess Karnac"(as shown) is one of his most famous illusions. And finally, at 9:00 is Howard Thurston, who was the most famous magician of his time.

All of these magicians are well known in the magic community, and all were quite famous in their time. As I said, I dabble with magic so this pin is one of my favorites!

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from Zombo:

I'm an amateur magician, a

Me, too! Or I used to be. The basic slights & forces. I had every trick that was under $5.00 (half of my weekly lunch money) at Douglas Magicland when I was a kid. I did some parties, not too many. If I’d have had a mentor, I’d have probably stuck with it.

We got friendly with the family across the back, when they moved in, a few years ago. Young kids. I found my old thumb tip & bought some sponge balls. It was fun.

#36 4 years ago

When do these lamps light up? (Circled on the image)

The lamp to the left is same player shoots again. The one to the right seems to be general illumination, but I'm not sure.

The bottom bit of the back glass was taped over by the previous owner, so no light shines through. The glass doesn't illuminate there. Seems like clear tape would have worked as well to keep the art from deteriorating as the tape he used.

While we're chatting... how high do you have the back legs on your Mystic? Mine are at their max height on 3" leg levelers. Thinking of going to 4" because it seems too easy to get the captive ball to its target. Other than that, I am happy with the game play and feel like I might leave well enough alone. Is the captive ball an easy shot on your machine?

mystic lights (resized).JPGmystic lights (resized).JPG
#37 4 years ago

I just got new pop bumper covers from Pinball Resource. The eye triangle inlay is gold colored. It is silver on the old ones. Maybe the gold has faded to silver over the years, on the old ones. What color are yours?

#38 4 years ago

For people interested, there is a rom variant available to beta test (in addition to the Oliver Kaegi mod to do the 7 digits).

Changes:

freeplay available
6 or 7 digit
extra balls can be set to pay variable points independently from specials
specials can pay extra ball, variable points, or replay independently from extra balls
no tilt through other players
drops only reset when needed (i.e. all up during ball start, no reset needed)
# of credits for hstd settable from 0-5

Main gameplay change:

After completing the matrix table once (72 line bonus is lit) the following occurs:

Any complete disparate symbol line scores 9k per line and leaves the targets down. So if you have the 4 corners as pyramids and you get the center as the eye, you will get 18k awarded since you just completed 2 lines (the diagonals)

Any complete same symbol line scores as follows:

Any same symbol column scores 18k, resets all 3 banks, clears matrix
Any same symbol row scores 27k, resets all 3 banks, clears matrix
Any same symbol diagonal scores 36k, resets all 3 banks, clears matrix

With the right combination of precision shot making, you can get up to 90k extra. (plus the disparate line completion of 9k each along the way).

There was another variation tested that built the lines a different way, at this point I don't remember what the rules change was, but it wasn't as fun as the above.

The additions of no tilt through, and ability to fine tune the extra ball/specials amount were added at the request of tournament directors for more control over how the game plays.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

I just got new pop bumper covers from Pinball Resource. The eye triangle inlay is gold colored. It is silver on the old ones. Maybe the gold has faded to silver over the years, on the old ones. What color are yours?

Gold

Quoted from undrdog:

When do these lamps light up? (Circled on the image)
The lamp to the left is same player shoots again. The one to the right seems to be general illumination, but I'm not sure.
The bottom bit of the back glass was taped over by the previous owner, so no light shines through. The glass doesn't illuminate there. Seems like clear tape would have worked as well to keep the art from deteriorating as the tape he used.
While we're chatting... how high do you have the back legs on your Mystic? Mine are at their max height on 3" leg levelers. Thinking of going to 4" because it seems too easy to get the captive ball to its target. Other than that, I am happy with the game play and feel like I might leave well enough alone. Is the captive ball an easy shot on your machine?[quoted image]

Probably Tilt. I've got 3" and backhanding the captive ball is probably 50/50. If you hit it solid, it should hit the target every time.

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

For people interested, there is a rom variant available to beta test (in addition to the Oliver Kaegi mod to do the 7 digits).
Changes:
freeplay available
6 or 7 digit
extra balls can be set to pay variable points independently from specials
specials can pay extra ball, variable points, or replay independently from extra balls
no tilt through other players
drops only reset when needed (i.e. all up during ball start, no reset needed)
# of credits for hstd settable from 0-5
Main gameplay change:
After completing the matrix table once (72 line bonus is lit) the following occurs:
Any complete disparate symbol line scores 9k per line and leaves the targets down. So if you have the 4 corners as pyramids and you get the center as the eye, you will get 18k awarded since you just completed 2 lines (the diagonals)
Any complete same symbol line scores as follows:
Any same symbol column scores 18k, resets all 3 banks, clears matrix
Any same symbol row scores 27k, resets all 3 banks, clears matrix
Any same symbol diagonal scores 36k, resets all 3 banks, clears matrix
With the right combination of precision shot making, you can get up to 90k extra. (plus the disparate line completion of 9k each along the way).
There was another variation tested that built the lines a different way, at this point I don't remember what the rules change was, but it wasn't as fun as the above.
The additions of no tilt through, and ability to fine tune the extra ball/specials amount were added at the request of tournament directors for more control over how the game plays.

That's all really cool. I wouldn't want the scoring changes, but the other upgrades would be nice.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from aobrien5:

I've got 3" and backhanding the captive ball is probably 50/50. If you hit it solid, it should hit the target every time.

Then mine is set correctly. Was thinking of adjusting the target switch to make it harder to close, but I’ll let it be. On the Mystic at BOS, you needed a very good hit, so that was all I had to go by.

#42 4 years ago

I like backhanding the captive ball... seems safer.

Quoted from aobrien5:

That's all really cool. I wouldn't want the scoring changes, but the other upgrades would be nice.

Which upgrades?

#43 4 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

I like backhanding the captive ball... seems safer.

Which upgrades?

7 digits, no tilt through, free play, pts for extra ball. Essentially everything but the scoring changes.

1 week later
#44 4 years ago

Just some shots of my Mystic, with LEDs. Also, I changed my yellowed and nasty white top lane guides for translucent red ones at the top of the playfield. I like the red glow.

Mystic 3 (resized).jpegMystic 3 (resized).jpegMystic 5 (resized).jpegMystic 5 (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#45 4 years ago

Someone in California has a Mystic on eBay for $6,000. Blue led displays, cool white LEDs GI, best as I can tell.

Looks like it has the cut out eye, but hard to see in the pics.

Looks like the number has been refinished off of the side.

I was going to say that $6,000 seems high, but if you take a $1,300 playable machine and charge full retail for the recondition job, with shipping included “free”, maybe that’s about right.

B027213B-E0D2-413E-AB48-E3C002312CA7 (resized).pngB027213B-E0D2-413E-AB48-E3C002312CA7 (resized).png
#46 4 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

Someone in California has a Mystic on eBay for $6,000. Blue led displays, cool white LEDs GI, best as I can tell.
Looks like it has the cut out eye, but hard to see in the pics.
Looks like the number has been refinished off of the side.
I was going to say that $6,000 seems high, but if you take a $1,300 playable machine and charge full retail for the recondition job, with shipping included “free”, maybe that’s about right.[quoted image]

Even with all that, that's not right.

#47 4 years ago

I’m not in favor of the blue displays or the cool white LEDs, was just saying that’s how the seller has it. If the plasma displays were shot, there are displays available that look close to the plasmas.

If I was restoring a cabinet, I’d make sure the number on the side was maintained or recreated.

#48 4 years ago

Anyone know at what machine number Bally went from the inset eye to the screened eye? Mine is 1265, and it is inset.

#49 4 years ago
Quoted from undrdog:

I’m not in favor of the blue displays or the cool white LEDs, was just saying that’s how the seller has it. If the plasma displays were shot, there are displays available that look close to the plasmas.
If I was restoring a cabinet, I’d make sure the number on the side was maintained or recreated.

I'm just saying it's still not worth close to that mich, even with the labor. A HEP wouldn't go for that much (IMO).

Quoted from undrdog:

Anyone know at what machine number Bally went from the inset eye to the screened eye?

Less than 1,000. https://www.ipsnd.net/View.aspx?id=1650

#50 4 years ago

Yet, mine has the inset and the number on the cabinet matches the number on the head.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

There are 173 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-mystic-club-the-eye-is-watching-/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.