0A42BCE6-B5C4-4FDC-BBC0-359914B175CA.jpeg
7BB1BF79-2274-4CAF-8152-C66CA34F4EFC.jpeg
24CBF3F4-9E5C-4B2B-8C52-37684432639F (resized).jpeg
328A6FCD-E83C-4E10-B3D0-D99AEF80BFBE (resized).jpeg
Capture2.PNG
Capture1.PNG
TiltBoard2.jpg
TiltBoard.jpg

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 6 months ago
Quoted from reconsider59:

Hoping someone can offer me advice in what to check next: I've got ONE light that won't come on! The "C" of the "P-A-C" left drop targets...
I've replaced the SCR, and as it's the only light out, I'm betting it's not the IC (though I suppose that's a possibility?). Reflowed solder at the pins...checked continuity to it (yep)...
I thought maybe the socket itself was faulty or somehow corroded, but I wired up another 555 socket (sans bracket) and it's not lighting either.
So maybe it is the IC? Not sure how to test those, I have a logic probe, but I still don't know what to do with it, ha.
Any advice welcomed!
...oh, and does anyone know where I could buy replacements of the wedge sockets with the mounting bracket? Neither Pinball Life and Marco seem to have them! I can't seem to figure out the part # for it, either...any leads welcomed. Thanks!

Can you take a picture of the socket you need? There are a few different mounting styles. I have some extras.

What kind of connector do you have on the harness? Is the ones where the wires were just pinched into the back of the connector or will the pin pop out? If it pops out you could temporarily swap with another and if it lights then it is probably something on the lamp board.

Or you still have an open connection. Is the socket connected to the braid? I've seen cold solder joints there. I sold my game so I can't check but some had diodes. I worked on a Grand Slam from that timeframe and three of the lamp sockets had bad diodes. Two wouldn't light and one was stuck on.

#102 6 months ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Can you take a picture of the socket you need? There are a few different mounting styles. I have some extras.
What kind of connector do you have on the harness? Is the ones where the wires were just pinched into the back of the connector or will the pin pop out? If it pops out you could temporarily swap with another and if it lights then it is probably something on the lamp board.
Or you still have an open connection. Is the socket connected to the braid? I've seen cold solder joints there. I sold my game so I can't check but some had diodes. I worked on a Grand Slam from that timeframe and three of the lamp sockets had bad diodes. Two wouldn't light and one was stuck on.

Thanks for the reply—it seems it was indeed the socket, as I took it apart, re-assembled it, and now it's working. I think there was poor connection between the bracket connected to the braid, then to the internal connections to the lamp. I'm attaching a picture of the style of bracket & socket, if someone knows the part # for these, I'd appreciate it!

...and now something else has come up. Previously, the lamps came on with full force—and now, they're super-dim? To help with diagnosing it, when previously I'd go into the flashing lamp test, I'd hear a sound like a blinker being on in a car—*CLICK-click-CLICK-click*. That sounds not there anymore.

If it ain't one thing, it's another...

IMG_0691 (resized).JPGIMG_0692 (resized).JPG
#103 6 months ago

Man I need to get my pac completed. It is almost done if I could get the displays working .

#104 6 months ago
Quoted from trimoto:

Man I need to get my pac completed. It is almost done if I could get the displays working .

I feel ya. I've been working on this project since October, I think! Can't find the time to get to the basement to really focus, so I'm always making progress in fits and starts... I'm excited to finally play it at some point!

#105 6 months ago

I have a LED maze board if anyone looking, $50 plus shipping or can bring to Allentown.

#106 6 months ago

I just ordered the LED maze board. Looking forward to a playfield that doesn’t feel like a frying pan.

1 week later
#107 5 months ago

It's here, yay!

PXL_20210609_145843988 (resized).jpg
#108 5 months ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

It's here, yay!
[quoted image]

Good to hear. Let me know if you have any issues.

#109 5 months ago

Nice, looking forward to seeing it in action

#110 5 months ago

Installation was easy. I watched the youtube video first. No issues and it works like a champ. It's brighter, but doesn't look much different than the original.

2 weeks later
#111 5 months ago

I know this is a long shot but what speaker do you folks have in your machines? Mine has a unit larger than the hole, looks to be 8" but I'll measure tonight. The majority that look to have a smaller 6" or 6.5" unit. I have uploaded pictures from Pinside ads, one shows the larger speaker and the other the smaller more common unit.

It looks identical to how mine is mounted.

20210628_102928 (resized).jpg20210628_102953 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#112 4 months ago
Quoted from Boise_D:

Installation was easy. I watched the youtube video first. No issues and it works like a champ. It's brighter, but doesn't look much different than the original.

I think that it looks a LOT brighter AND looks way better than the original set up under the PF. It's totally worth it to me. Reduces crazy heat under there, easier to see and easier to explain to people how to play the maze part of the game, and you will never have to replace any obsolete mini bulbs again.

(My game has the smaller speaker in the 2nd pic above)

1 month later
#113 70 days ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

I think that it looks a LOT brighter AND looks way better than the original set up under the PF. It's totally worth it to me. Reduces crazy heat under there, easier to see and easier to explain to people how to play the maze part of the game, and you will never have to replace any obsolete mini bulbs again.
(My game has the smaller speaker in the 2nd pic above)

...ok, so, that original Pac Lite Matrix board—is it usual for it to get CRAZY hot?

I have a playfield protector on my game. I started a game to mess with a problem I'm having with the flippers, and after a few minutes saw a little condensation at the Matrix; it was ridiculously hot! I think it was beginning to warp my playfield protector!

...I'm ordering an LED one now...

#114 69 days ago

Yes, it gets too hot for certain... was a bad design.

1 month later
#115 22 days ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

I know this is a long shot but what speaker do you folks have in your machines? Mine has a unit larger than the hole, looks to be 8" but I'll measure tonight. The majority that look to have a smaller 6" or 6.5" unit. I have uploaded pictures from Pinside ads, one shows the larger speaker and the other the smaller more common unit.
It looks identical to how mine is mounted. [quoted image][quoted image]

I had a smaller one. I actually bought a replacement, here's a link. Solid unit for a decent price.

https://www.newark.com/mcm-audio-select/55-1185/audio-visual-audio-video-loudspeaker/dp/36C6723

#116 22 days ago

Also, I made some Pac-Man decals for the stand up targets, and have extras if anyone needs

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/123587

There are 116 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside