• Latest reply 7 years ago by pookycade
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_5647 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Just took possession of a paragon and looked at the MPU. Bit of a mess as you can see, I'm assuming there was a short to ground probably due to the battery corrosion. Other than replacing the J4 connector and the entire MPU board with a new Alltek board, anything else I should watch out for ?

IMG_5647 (resized).JPGIMG_5647 (resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago

First, clip off that GE battery before it leaks. That thing is a ticking time bomb.

If you don't want to repair it yourself, someone else might be able to.

#3 7 years ago

That board looks salvageable to me, though a couple closer pics of the common corrosion areas would help make that determination.

Personally, i prefer using original boards because there's a ton of information and support (especially) for that mpu.

They're solid boards once gone over by a seasoned tech. I'd send it to any of pinside's selection of professional circuit board techs and have them fix it for you.

I second forceflow's suggestion, btw. Cut that battery off the board asap.

Good luck, and congrats on the Paragon!

#4 7 years ago

Replace both sides of the connector and pray that short was the 5V to ground and not the 43V to 5V

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Replace both sides of the connector and pray that short was the 5V to ground and not the 43V to 5V

I think it did. 43v is a 0.1" away from +5vdc. Corrosion gets between the pins and it starts arcing until the board burns. Bally screwed up here. It should be a space between the 12v and 43v connectors pins. There is room on the connector, but they didnt do it that way.

Usually this is not too catastrophic of a failure. U15 tends to go first and hopefully it took the 4amp fuse out with it. A lot of times when J4 is burnt like that, U15 will have a hole exploded out of it.

I would check all the voltages at the driver board. If it looks good there, you can safely plug in a new MPU board. Obv redo MPU J4.

#6 7 years ago

You will need crimpers to make a new J4 connector.

Send in that board to someone (like maybe barakandl) and have it cleaned up, repaired, and battery replaced with NVRAM.

Cut that battery off before mailing it out.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks for all the advice. I'll try to salvage the board by sending out to someone. While I am a EE and did fix my last board I would rather have someone more professioal handle this one. Assumed it was likely too far gone. I did order a recrimping kit for the connectors and that I can get done myself.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

4,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Springfield, MO
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mountainside, NJ
$ 10.00
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Munster, IN
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-mpu-j4-a-mess and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.