(Topic ID: 147827)

Bally MPU - delayed startup, but eventually comes on!

By flynnibus

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
20150512_220135_(resized).jpg
#1 8 years ago

So this is a Future Spa game. When the regular MPU board is in the game, on powerup it will not startup for about a minute or two.. and after that it runs fine.

But the LED appears to be out all together.. as it never lights or blinks.. yet the game runs once we are past that delay. The game has the original SDB in as well.

Without the LED, I'm a bit blind. Any ideas on what could be causing this delay? Is the 5V maybe slow to come up to spec?

I've not seen anyone document one of these 'slow boots' before.. anyone have an experience?

#2 8 years ago

Put a meter on the +12vdc. I suspect it starts out really low and gradually raises up. Once the 12v passes the breakdown voltage of the regulator the game fires up...

just my best guess...

#3 8 years ago

Does the game have a SuperCap on it for memory retention? the SuperCap could be charging if so.
You can easily swap the 6821s at U10 and U11 as they are socketed. U11 drives the LED. You may get your LED back then.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#4 8 years ago

Check the LED with your meter and see if it's dead.

Replace with any common LED (observe polarity)

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

Does the game have a SuperCap on it for memory retention? the SuperCap could be charging if so.
You can easily swap the 6821s at U10 and U11 as they are socketed. U11 drives the LED. You may get your LED back then.

No, no aftermarket stuff on the board.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Check the LED with your meter and see if it's dead.
Replace with any common LED (observe polarity)

Check in what way? Diode test and looking for the 0.7v?

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Check in what way? Diode test and looking for the 0.7v?

One way it should read 0 and with the leads reversed maybe .7 to 1.5 (power off)

#8 8 years ago

The diag LED do go bad on these early bally MPUs. Sometimes they get so dim you can hardly even see them. Dim LED and low +12v caused by a high ESR failing filter cap will make the voltage low enough the LED does not light.

I have seen this symptom before and it was bad filter cap on the driver board.

I think the best course of action since the MPU boots sometimes is to check the health of the 12v filter cap by checking the 12v line for voltage and ripple. I bet it has high ESR and lots of ripple. High ESR will give the slow boot effect.

Quoted from ChrisHibler:

an uncharged high farad super cap could try and consume enough current it shuts down the 5v regulator. These regulators have short protection. A super cap with no current limiting resistor could act like a dead short and shut down the regulator (i think... right?? that is what you are hinting at).

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

an uncharged high farad super cap could try and consume enough current it shuts down the 5v regulator. These regulators have short protection. A super cap with no current limiting resistor could act like a dead short and shut down the regulator (i think... right?? that is what you are hinting at).

Something like that. I've only seen it once where a freshly installed 1F cap had to charge for a minute or so then the MPU booted.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://chrishiblerpinball.com/contact
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The new place for pinball repair info

#10 8 years ago

Yep, a completely drained supercap can look like a dead short at first. For this reason, you want a current limiting resistor installed in series with the cap. I believe there was another pinside conversation about this.

Ed

#11 8 years ago

Thanks everyone... I will check on the caps on the SDB since they are original too.. and our normal component suppliers have been OOS on them for awhile *hint* *hint*

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Thanks everyone... I will check on the caps on the SDB since they are original too.. and our normal component suppliers have been OOS on them for awhile *hint* *hint*

https://greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CEA-18000uF-25V-RMD

https://greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CERS-15000uF-25V

#13 8 years ago

That 15k snap vid linked is a great replacement. That is the exact cap I use, bought a case of them. They fit wpc drivers boards too.

#14 8 years ago

So C23 is the cap in the 12v circuit? still need to find a C26 tho. Would be kind of wonky to do one but not both. It's the 160uF 350V one that has been OOS as well at both GPE and Bigdaddy.

#15 8 years ago

I use radial snap 150uF 400v 105c Nippon brand I can sell a few of. I use so many of these i bought them in bulk amounts. Message me if you want to buy a set, $8 shipped?

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

So C23 is the cap in the 12v circuit? still need to find a C26 tho. Would be kind of wonky to do one but not both. It's the 160uF 350V one that has been OOS as well at both GPE and Bigdaddy.

Them buggers have been on order f-o-r-e-v-e-r. Takes awhile to get special ordered caps - both Todd and I are both waiting on replacements.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

I use radial snap 150uF 400v 105c Nippon brand I can sell a few of. I use so many of these i bought them in bulk amounts. Message me if you want to buy a set, $8 shipped?

I appreciate the offer. I used a substitute on the last board I updated, but I think I'll hold out unless this one is leaking AC like crazy. I'll try to get down to do some testing tomorrow night.

I was going to overhaul the SDB on this game.. but then all was playing fine.. so I wasn't... but now it looks like I might have to... I'm so lazy

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

Them buggers have been on order f-o-r-e-v-e-r. Takes awhile to get special ordered caps - both Todd and I are both waiting on replacements.

yeah, last time I was hunting for these he mentioned that. I prefer ordering from you for your amazingly quick turnaround.. but he's stocking a wider range of stuff sometimes. I know the kits are work putting together, but us lazy folks really appreciate it

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I appreciate the offer. I used a substitute on the last board I updated, but I think I'll hold out unless this one is leaking AC like crazy. I'll try to get down to do some testing tomorrow night.
I was going to overhaul the SDB on this game.. but then all was playing fine.. so I wasn't... but now it looks like I might have to... I'm so lazy

Same idea as how c23 was mounted.
20150512_220135_(resized).jpg20150512_220135_(resized).jpg

#21 8 years ago

Testing...

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#22 8 years ago

That is a nice battery from 1988?

You may want to remove while you have board out.

#23 8 years ago

Ok so did testing tonight. 5v is there on both the sdb and mpu test points without any delay.
C23 had only .2vac across it, while c26 had 4vac across it - so c26 is nasty at least

But I replaced the led, and it still didn't work. Looking at the schematic and the board, looks like q2 needs to be good for the led to work, but it is not testing good. I can't get the .7v drop from base to the legs. So I guess it's bad. There is also a hint of corriosion in the area, probably from when they last replaced the battery. Small amounts on tp6,q2,r134,r107,cr44. But I don't see any elsewhere on the board, and not any over by the reset section around q1, q5, etc. q1 and q5 test fine

So I suppose q2 is the root of my led problem... But best I can tell that should not be related to the delayed start.

I can't get my logic probe on the cpu leg fast enough to check for the reset. But clearly it gets it since the board does boot eventually.

In testing tonight, it was pretty consistent in that after about 35 seconds after power on, you'd get the sound test, etc. that feels a bit faster than I recall, but still seems slow. Am I off?

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from CNKay:

That is a nice battery from 1988?
You may want to remove while you have board out.

The 88 on there is not the year. It is even worse, 1979.

#25 8 years ago
Quoted from Taxman:

The 88 on there is not the year. It is even worse, 1979.

I know I know... But it's not central to the problem so it can be addressed separate. I am focusing one one issue at a time vs stripping everything down and then trying to debug 6 different things at once.

No need to point out the battery...

#26 8 years ago

So no more thoughts?

I put in a big order to BigDaddy... sorry Ed, you were OOS on just too much stuff I needed while placing a component order. I got stuff to do the typical rebuild on the SDB just to clean it up... and most of the stuff in the reset area of the board since there is a sign of past corrison. But I did not go as far as all the sockets since it doesn't look close to that area.

#27 8 years ago

Hard to say what is going on without me being right there at this point. Perhaps the 7th flash is delayed and it takes a moment for the zero crossing to ring through the 4049 chip.... wild stab.

Get the diag LED working. That way you can see if it is flashing up slow, not starting to flash until after a period of time etc. The LED is going to have a current limiting resistor and runs off of 12v. The u11 PIA will turn on the Q2 transistor which lights up the LED.

Also unplug the sound board for now and only use MPU j4. Isolate jus to the MPU.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

I put in a big order to BigDaddy... sorry Ed, you were OOS .....

Pbbbbbbb!
No problem, Todd and I get along quite well and he has a good selection as well.

1 week later
#29 8 years ago

Hi all
I fixed a Flash Gordon recently which sometimes took time to get the 7th flash, and like Barakandl suggested i changed the 4049 associated with the zero crossing pulse and it powers up perfectly now, every time.
IIRC its right next to a big chunky resistor which most likely has heat damaged this chip over time.
regards
bob

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from pinballtoys:

Hi all
I fixed a Flash Gordon recently which sometimes took time to get the 7th flash, and like Barakandl suggested i changed the 4049 associated with the zero crossing pulse and it powers up perfectly now, every time.
IIRC its right next to a big chunky resistor which most likely has heat damaged this chip over time.
regards
bob

Yes, I have seen that too. The 4049 had a problem and the signal got hung up trying to invert the few times through it. It was kind of interesting usually the moment I would touch a probe to the 4049 it would start working until next power on.

That is going to be pretty rare of a failure tho.

#31 8 years ago

So, after waiting and waiting on parts.. I finally got to do some work here.

First, I worked on the SDB to take that out of the equation.. and since it was needed anyways.
- Replaced C23 and C26
- Replaced all the headers and connectors (horribly tarnished)
- Did all the standard upgrades (minus the fuse swap)

All the voltages look fine within their ranges.. same as the power reticifier (some are a bit hot.. its a rottendog board).

Then, working on the MPU.. I knew Q2 was bad.. but because there was some signs of corrosion in the area even tho it had clearly been serviced previous because the current battery wasn't corroded. So I stripped the area below U11, did the vingar bath and rinse. (Q2 actually fell apart when handling it) and rebuilt that area. No grey'ing or corrosion was seen outside that area, or under U11 that I could see. U8 looks like it's socket was redone in the previous repair.. but no other corrosion in that area I could see.

After that, the LED worked. w00p! And the behavior in the delayed boot is in fact sitting there waiting for the 7th flash. But I also have a second issue now, all the controlled lamps have a very noticeable flicker. When I put in my other MPU (an alltek) the controlled lamps are fine.

So on the 7th flash.. the incoming 43V is fine.. and it looks fine on the other side of R113 at TP3 (22V). In Clay's guides, he talks about jumping two leads together to fool the mpu into thinking the 43V is there.. and on the bench that didn't seem to have any effect. The one diode in the circuit wasn't testing good (CR49), so I replaced that, and all the Rs looked ok. That really just leaves U14 (a 4049). There was some discoloring that looked like heat damage on the side closest to the big resistor next to it.. but it cleaned up.

Quoted from barakandl:

Hard to say what is going on without me being right there at this point. Perhaps the 7th flash is delayed and it takes a moment for the zero crossing to ring through the 4049 chip.... wild stab.

That seems to be the culprit.. of course another part I don't have on hand.. If its just struggling to pickup the crossing point.. think just swapping this will finish off the problem?

Anyone have any ideas on the flickering controlled lamps? Lamp Strobe #2 is tied into the repair area. I can double check the swapped parts.. (R28, R107).. but any idea on the flickering? The symptom wasn't visible before.

I'm not really familiar with the concept behind how the lights are driven from the MPU.

#32 8 years ago

The zero crossing inverts through the 4049 a few times and then feeds to a PIA input. Go to that PIA input and check for a 120hz pulse there. If it is not 120hz, replace 4049. If the pin is floating or stuck high/low at the PIA, trace back to the 4049.

At this point, the 4049 is probably shitting the bed, it tends to get overheated by the 2w 82 ohm resistor right below it. It might take the resistor heating up that IC until it works properly.

Lamp strobe one is going to be used on the main lamp driver board. Lamp strobe 2 is for an aux lamp driver expansion if present. Lamp strobe 2 should not be going to the main LDB in any game (i am pretty sure on this, but double check the wiring diagram).

pls pls pls cut that battery off. I cringe every time i scroll by that picture. Scary stuff. You can wake up one morning and the battery puked its guts out overnight. Specially if that board has set unpowered for years on end and you are now trying to charge that battery.... leaks are coming soon.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

The zero crossing inverts through the 4049 a few times and then feeds to a PIA input. Go to that PIA input and check for a 120hz pulse there. If it is not 120hz, replace 4049. If the pin is floating or stuck high/low at the PIA, trace back to the 4049.
At this point, the 4049 is probably shitting the bed, it tends to get overheated by the 2w 82 ohm resistor right below it. It might take the resistor heating up that IC until it works properly.
Lamp strobe one is going to be used on the main lamp driver board. Lamp strobe 2 is for an aux lamp driver expansion if present. Lamp strobe 2 should not be going to the main LDB in any game (i am pretty sure on this, but double check the wiring diagram).
pls pls pls cut that battery off. I cringe every time i scroll by that picture. Scary stuff. You can wake up one morning and the battery puked its guts out overnight. Specially if that board has set unpowered for years on end and you are now trying to charge that battery.... leaks are coming soon.

The battery is long gone Replaced by a remote holder. (I didn't really follow what was the nvram replacement for it..). There certainly was evidence of heat from the resistor next to U14. I don't have a way of monitoring a standing pulse, I only have a logic probe.

There is an aux board in the game, but I didn't look at what's driven from it. I did not notice any difference across the playfield in terms of some lights flickering vs others. I will see if the aux lamps differ.

All I know at this point is the flicker follows the MPU board.. Is the strobe the path to sniff along if the lights are flickering?

It looks like your classic LED flicker... but it's all incandescent

#34 8 years ago

Now that I think about it, the flickering is probably related to the U14 zero crossing problem. The feature lamp interrupt program is triggered by the zero crossing. If that is not in time, the feature lamps will probably not behave as they should.

Check the voltage dividing resistors too. THey are 1/4w 2k resistors. Recommended to change them to half watt. They like to burn up. Depending one which one goes, you could end up overvolting the 4049 IC.

1 week later
#35 8 years ago

Replaced u14 and no change in symptoms

Still about 40secs or so between 6th and 7th flash and strobing controlled lamps

I'm trying to test each component in the suspect areas and toning out traces... But am stumped at this point

The only slightly off thing so far is r107 is a 3.3k resistor but tests at 2.2k while in circuit. But I popped it out and it tests fine. I thought resistors were pretty consistent at testing in circuit?

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Replaced u14 and no change in symptoms
Still about 40secs or so between 6th and 7th flash and strobing controlled lamps
I'm trying to test each component in the suspect areas and toning out traces... But am stumped at this point
The only slightly off thing so far is r107 is a 3.3k resistor but tests at 2.2k while in circuit. But I popped it out and it tests fine. I thought resistors were pretty consistent at testing in circuit?

It depends. If there is other things with resistance in parallel across it, the readings will get off. If you even put your meter on a resistor and it slowly changes value, there is a cap across the resistor charging up from the DMM which makes the resistance value change.

You need an oscilloscope or at least a DMM that can check frequency. Go to the zero cross PIA input and check for a 120 cycles a second pulse. If that is good at the PIA input, then replace the PIA.

Still no, check continuity from the IRQ pin of each PIA to the CPU.

#37 8 years ago

bally has some troubleshooting info more detailed than i can rattle off the top of my head in the 560-3 manual.

http://arcarc.xmission.com/Pinball/PDF%20Pinball%20Misc/Pin%20Repair.pdf

Check page 35 -37. "LED flashes 6x"

5 years later
#38 3 years ago

I know this ended with a cliffhanger years ago, but was a solution ever determined? (I have the exact same issue with a Bally 8 Ball)

Thanks

1 week later
#39 3 years ago

For future reference, the issue was the 7803 at U10.

I tried everything mentioned in this thread, and failed. I had just received a new U14 in the mail and swapped it in to no avail, then pressed my hand on the 7803, Bam!, lights no longer flickering. So pulled U10, cleaned it up, reinstalled. Perfect boot, no more flickering lights.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-mpu-delayed-startup-but-eventually-comes-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.