Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Damagio
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
    image (resized).jpg
    Untitled_(resized).png
    Untitled_(resized).png
    2016-04-07_10.05.31_(resized).jpg
    #1 8 years ago

Well I replaced both PIAs and the 555 timer but still only getting 5 flashes. It was working until I decided to rework the board. Any thoughts?

2016-04-07_10.05.31_(resized).jpg2016-04-07_10.05.31_(resized).jpg

#3 8 years ago

No 6th flash is the display interrupt generator. The computer looks for the display interrupt to be pulsing at a PIA leg. If it does not see that pulse it will not flash the LED the 6th time.

Make sure IC12 is connected to ground. Make sure the 1k resistor is properly connected. Make sure the .1uF chicklet cap is connected properly. The board looks a bit beat in that area.

After that put use your logic probe on the display interrupt pin of the PIA. It should be pulsing. The schematic says average dc voltage should be 4.5vdc. The display interrupt should always be pulsing from the moment the board is powered up.

Untitled_(resized).pngUntitled_(resized).png

#4 8 years ago

Untitled_(resized).pngUntitled_(resized).png

marked where i'd check for ground connection.

Also check that the IRQ pin from the CPU is connected to both PIAs(p37 of PIAs).

#5 8 years ago

Got it! It was the tiniest of solder balls that was stuck between the 3 and 4 pins of the 555 timer shorting out the 1k resistor.

Quoted from barakandl:

Make sure the 1k resistor is properly connected.

Thanks for the help!

#6 8 years ago

Woot! you're welcome & have fun

1 year later
    #7 6 years ago

Resuscitating this thread as my Medusa is having the same problem now.

Game worked fine in a tournament last weekend, towards the end of the weekend it started having an issue where the flippers would suddenly stop working, at first intermittently, then until the game was restarted.

When I got it home the flippers were fine, but after a couple of games the ball would no longer eject from the upper pf saucer, though the switch would register. Once again, restarting the game would kick out the ball.

Finally the game stopped booting altogether, only shows 5 flashes so not getting the 6th. I tested pin 40 on U11 with my logic probe and it is pulsing. I swapped in a spare U11 chip from another board (not certain it is good though), and still no 6th flash.

Board is very clean, no battery damage, verified continuity between u11 topside pins and the traces under the socket as well.

Bad U11?, or is there something else I can check?

#8 6 years ago

Interesting data-point. Tried swapping in a working Alltek mpu board and it also stops booting after the 5th flash.

Thoughts?

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

Interesting data-point. Tried swapping in a working Alltek mpu board and it also stops booting after the 5th flash.
    Thoughts?

something external can force a PIA port high / low making it fail the POST... like a bad display. I would unplug everything but MPU j4 and try again.

#10 6 years ago

Hear hear for Andrew. Great support mate to fellow pinsiders here, good stuff!

#11 6 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

something external can force a PIA port high / low making it fail the POST... like a bad display. I would unplug everything but MPU j4 and try again.

So I feel like a fool, F4 fuse was blown.

I notice now that my Shield of the Gods solenoid isn't firing so could be what caused it.

When in doubt, plug it in...

Thanks for the fast response!

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

So I feel like a fool, F4 fuse was blown.
    I notice now that my Shield of the Gods solenoid isn't firing so could be what caused it.
    When in doubt, plug it in...
    Thanks for the fast response!

Ahh okay, you where missing flash 7 then.

The playfield fuses are protected by a 1 amp slow blow fuse, but the knocker, coin door, and any other non PF solenoids are only protected by the 5amp fuse on the rectifier board. When the rectifier board fuse blows and not the PF fuse, it is usually caused by the knocker it seems (or chimes in an early game). If a PF solenoid made the rectifier board fuse pop, but not the PF fuse, someone probably stuck an overrated fuse for the PF solenoids.

2 years later
    #13 4 years ago

Reviving old thread...
    I just purchased a used but nice Fathom -35 MPU to use as a replacement for my Space Invaders project. I know I have to rework the jumpers, but I noticed resistors at C8 C11 and C81 on the Fathom board where the SI board had small caps. Weird. Any ideas? Haven’t got to the point where I am ready to power it, but looking to avoid issues.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
    #14 4 years ago

Those are .01 uF color coded capacitors.

#15 4 years ago

they are all capacitors

brown = 1
    black = 0
    orange = 3 (add three zeros)
    the extra bands are probably tolerance, class, ratings etc which isnt critical for these simple bypass caps.

So that would translate to a cap with a 103 marking so it is 10,000pF or 10nF or 0.01uF.

#16 4 years ago

Thank you both! I was scratching my head for sure.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-mpu-cant-get-past-5-flashes and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.