You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ylk1.png
SIP_Socket_2.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hi,
I have a Bobby Orr's Power Play which is at a friend's house. I ordered Big Daddy's MPU rebuild kit, and installed it, but for some reason it doesn't include sockets for U2 and U6.
On my board these are the worst kind: old ugly brown ones.

I'd like to order replacements but I don't have the machine with me. I found this picture: http://pinwiki.com/wiki/images/d/d0/Bally_MPU_Sockets_Orange.JPG
I know they're 24 pins, but I don't know the spacing. Also, which material should I get? Tin?

I'm hoping this is going to fix the reboot issues. Game boots up fine most every time, but 1 or 2 games in it just blanks out (doesn't actually reboot though).

#3 10 years ago

Thank you sir.
Exactly what I wanted to know.

I'll get them from Digikey.ca though, since I'm in Canada.

Cheers!
Phil

#4 10 years ago

Another question...
since I don't have replacement for those chips unlike the other ones... should I clean the pins? Maybe with alcohol or something?

#5 10 years ago

The problem is pin tension. There is no cleaning that will help the orange / brown sockets. They flat out must be replaced and are never reliable.

I am suprised a socket kit would not include ROM sockets. They take the most beating from changing ROM ICs.

Andrew

#6 10 years ago

Right, I'm still going to change the sockets.
I want to know if there's anything I should do with the chips themselves to help them out a bit.

Thanks
Phil

#7 10 years ago

If the ROM legs are heavily tarnished you can try a mild abrasive or chemical cleaner like deoxit. I personally would just repalce it.

On a -17 the best thing you can do is do the u2 combo mod. See pin wiki. Essentially changes jumpers to only use one 2732 rom at U2.

#8 10 years ago

I have no idea how to modify ROM contents. Pretty sure the info's out there but for now I'll start with replacing the sockets and hope that solves that...

I'm still curious to understand what it does and why it helps.

For the record, here's the mod:

Single 2732 U2 on a Bally -17 or Stern M-100 MPU board.
This modification combines the two original 9316 ROMs at U2 and U6 into one single 2732 EPROM at location U2. This works only for the early 1977 to 1979 games.
To combine the original 9316 (or 2716) U2 and U6 ROM computer files into a single 2732 U2 ROM file, use this DOS command:

COPY /B U2ROM.716 + U6ROM.716 U2COMBO.732
Make sure you use the "/B" option in the copy command, as shown above. This binary copy command will combine the two files into one.

In addition to the jumpers listed above (6-7, 8-10), you must also make the following cuts and jumps to use this configuration.

Make sure jumpers E6-E7 and E8-E10 are in place.
Remove any jumpers at E3-E4, and E1-E2.
On the solder side of the -17 board, find U18 pin 4. Follow this trace to the via ("trace thru dot"). Cut the trace near the via.
On the soider side of the -17 board, run a jumper from the via ("trace thru dot") that was seen above to U18 pin 5. It's easiest to run the wire from U18 pin 5 to the via ("trace thru dot") that connects to this trace. This connects U18 pin 5 to U2 pin 18.
On the componet side of the -17 board, find U2 pin 13 (top right hand corner). Slightly higher and to the right is a via ("trace thru dot") with a trace going straight down. Cut this trace to separate the via from this trace.
On the component side of the -17 board, run a jumper from the above via ("trace thru dot") to jumper pad E4. This connects jumper pad E4 to U2 pin 21.
On the component side of the -17 board, notice the large GND trace that runs to the right of the ROM sockets. To the right of the U2 ROM socket, scrape the green solder mask from this large GND trace and jump a wire from this GND trace to the jumper pad E3. This connects U2 pin 20 to ground.

#9 10 years ago

It combines both U2 and U6 into a single 2732 EPROM.

Basically it is one less ROM socket to replace and one less point of failure. You do have a to cut two traces and run jumper wires.

COPY /B MATAHARIU2.716 + MATAHARIU6.716 U2MHCOMBO.732

Put above, with the appropriate file names, into command prompt or a .bat file.

#10 10 years ago

Ok I understand... less moving parts, less points of failure.

I don't own a ROM writer (if that's what it's called)... That MPU is beaten to hell but I like trying to fix it one step at a time and learn some stuff along the way. If the socket replacements don't do the job as well as I like I guess that's going to be my next step.

#11 10 years ago

Hey,
how about contact cleaner for the chip legs? I know you shouldn't use it in an EM since it's flammable, but I guess it would be appropriate for that kind of use?

If not, I'm kind of stumped on what the use is for that product altogether.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

If the ROM legs are heavily tarnished you can try a mild abrasive or chemical cleaner like deoxit.

Deoxit is great stuff, it's not flammable--after a few seconds--and will not harm plastics. That whole story about contact cleaners on EM's was more bogeyman than truth. More importantly though is the fact there's no reason to use contact cleaner on the type of contacts used in EM's.

If the corrosin is really bad use some fine sandpaper.

#13 10 years ago

Ok,
I understand for the EMs.

I want to do the fix today after work and I have some contact cleaner handy. I was wondering whether it was a good idea to use it on the ROM legs of my Bally MPU...

If not I have 99% alcohol as well.

#14 10 years ago

I use a fiberglass sanding pen.

You can get them at auto body supply stores, on eBay, etc. Jewelers use them to clean jewelry. Painters use them to clean rust out of rock chips in cars before touching up the paint.

Walmart used to carry a 3m product called a spot sanding pen. Same thing, but the holder isn't quite as nice as a good one.

It's a mild abrasive. It'll clean up IC legs, I use one to sand corrosion off boards.

Tip is a little bigger than a #2 pencil.

You can try to clean up IC legs, but I find replacement is often the best choice.

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

I ordered Big Daddy's MPU rebuild kit, and installed it, but for some reason it doesn't include sockets for U2 and U6.

The ROMS aren't part of the processor area so of course they aren't included. These sockets are available for sale of course, see: http://bigdaddy-enterprises.com/electronics/e_sockets.htm#sockets-dip

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I use a fiberglass sanding pen.
You can get them at auto body supply stores, on eBay, etc. Jewelers use them to clean jewelry. Painters use them to clean rust out of rock chips in cars before touching up the paint.
Walmart used to carry a 3m product called a spot sanding pen. Same thing, but the holder isn't quite as nice as a good one.
It's a mild abrasive. It'll clean up IC legs, I use one to sand corrosion off boards.
Tip is a little bigger than a #2 pencil.
You can try to clean up IC legs, but I find replacement is often the best choice.

I am going to have to pick up one of these pens to try out. My go to is a wire brush than sandpaper if needed.

#17 10 years ago

Just a heads up.. Radio Shack sells an abrasive pen that really isn't. Theirs has nylon bristles, even though they say fiberglass!

A cheap $7-10 one off eBay, with free shipping, is pretty decent. Get one with a few refills included.

Word to the wise - these do shed fiberglass. It hurts, and is difficult to see them to pull them out. Don't use the pen while wearing sandals

#18 10 years ago

Oh man...
sloppy, sloppy work on my part and now I get the dreaded "always on" LED. I'm not sure if it's my work on U2 and U6 that did it either as I replaced all the other ones too and maybe just touching them made something that was barely touching go out or vice-versa.
I tried shorting pins 39 and 40 on the U9 but that didn't do the trick.

I have this logic probe thing (only with a light, not a little screen) that I haven't tried out yet.
I guess it's time to check the board signals?

From http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/ballyss/rep/index2.htm#flash :
"LED Still Locked On: MPU Board Signals.
If having play problems with an otherwise working MPU, check all the chip's signals with a logic probe, and cross reference them to this chart. If a signal is other than shown below, check the schematic. If it's an input line to the chip, the device that feeds that pin is probably bad. If it's an output line from the chip, the chip itself is probably bad.
All the following signals are with the MPU board in "attract" mode, and a MPU -35 loaded with Kiss 2732 EPROM's at U2 and U6. Because these signals are with the game in attract mode, this chart won't help much if your MPU is in some other state."

If my MPU is stuck with the green light on, I guess I'm not really in attract mode though, right?

#19 10 years ago

Since it was working before and now it is locked on, you need to focus on checking your work. Almost all the pins, but one or two, will have continuity between u2 and u6. You can buzz out these to make sure nothing is open. Also make sure nothing is shorted. It is easy to short on the component side of the MPU between the solder pads.

Another trick is to only install the u9 CPU and remove everything else. Power the board and use the logic probe on each pin of the empty sockets. Look for one that is floating (no reading) and compare address or data lines and see if one is drastically different than the rest (short).

#20 10 years ago

I did check the continuity and it looks like everything is good.
It's harder to check for shorts, though but I'll get on that as well.

I don't understand what you mean by "compare address or data lines and see if one is drastically different than the rest (short)."

How would I go about doing that?

Thanks,
Phil

#21 10 years ago

WIth just the CPU installed and you probe address and data lines (all should be pulsing), you will notice a pattern on the logic probe. If you come across one data or adress line that acts very different then the rest (makes you probe beep differently, or stuck high or low) you can investigate that line for shorts. If you find one line with no reading you can assume there is lack of continuity.

To probe for shorts on the u2 and u6 socket. Power off. Set DMM to buzz. Look for shorts between the top and bottom sets of 12 pins on the sockets. Check where the traces pass between two solder pads.

#22 10 years ago

Ok thank you,
yes I did check for shorts that way and I'm all good in that regard.
I understand what you mean with the pattern, I'll check that out too (although I'm not sure what you mean about address and data lines - are all pins either address or data or is there any other kind?)

#23 10 years ago

This chart should help. It is easier to refrence this than the schematic.

*edit*

I couldnt get the upload to function at work and my cellphone says "bad request" when i try and load pinside. So here is image shack.

http://imageshack.com/a/img9/3448/ylk1.png

#24 10 years ago

Thanks a lot!
At first glance it looks as scary as the EM schematics when I first looked at them but that turned out pretty good, so hopefully I'll be able to say the same about these.

#25 10 years ago

Another tip for you as you begin your pinball boardwork repairs.

Use SIP sockets rather than DIPs.

You can see your solder-work (the inside rows are hidden with DIP) so trouble is really easy to see.

They make electrical contact on more than one side of the IC leg.

And you don't have to keep 10 different sized DIP sockets around. SIPs are simply snipped to whatever length you need (they come in 40 pin lengths - ready for cutting).

http://www.taydaelectronics.com/connectors-sockets/sockets/sip-sockets.html

SIP_Socket_2.jpgSIP_Socket_2.jpg
#26 10 years ago

Wow, great idea!
I actually cut the plastic that holds the 2 sides together so I could see what was going on under there. I didn't know these were available, I'll get them next time.

#27 10 years ago

Nice, thanks for the diagram, that's what I'd been looking for.

Have you done it yourself?

#28 10 years ago

I can't take credit for that. I believe Don Shoemaker created that.

SIP solder strips are very nice and TaydaElectronics rocks. I use them when there is damaged to the board because you can solder on the top side if needed and see very well. I prefer to use framed up sockets still in most cases though.

Andrew

#29 10 years ago

Now that i am home.... here is a pinside upload. I have the Exel file it was orginally created in if anyone wants to tinker with it. I thought about making additions to it with the chip select, clock, etc... I just have been lazy.

ylk1.pngylk1.png
#30 10 years ago

BOOM!
Got it working again!

Thanks Barak, your diagram really helped me troubleshoot the issue. I tried to match up every data and address pins, and found that the D2 wasn't making contact between U2 and U6.
I also had a pin which needed pressure to make contact on U7 (which might have to do with some of my intermittent issues).

One thing I'm not sure about is that I have continuity between U2 and U6 at pin 18, and no ground there. Maybe it has something to do with the jumper settings?
Also, I have continuity between U7-10 and U6-21, but since U7-10 is supposed to be A9 and U6-21 A14 I'm not sure how that works. If I follow the path of traces, this is where I get too so it doesn't look like anything is shorted. Jumper settings again?

I've only tested with a computer power supply, I'll go put the board back in the machine at my friend's place and we'll see about the reliability.

One thing I'm having a bit of a hard time with to try and do cleaner work is unsoldering the pins where there's no trace in the back, and just a bit of copper around the hole. I'm getting better at it, but I'm still lifting about 1 out of 4 or 5... any tricks?

Many thanks again, hopefully it's fixed for good and I can move on to a TFTC I have that's been sitting idle for some time...

#31 10 years ago

ARRRRGH!
This thing's gonna drive me nuts. Fired it up this morning, only get 3 flashes.

I'll do another round of continuity testing, with all chips in this time.

#32 10 years ago

Only three flashes is a u8 5101 ram issue. Couple things to note here. 5101 rams fail all the time. Try a new one. Also this IC and it's socket gets wasted by corrosion. Check all the continuity around the 5101 up to the cpu and/or roms.

Depending on your ROM setup a few pins like 18,20,21 may not match the chart. That chart is designed around 2732 roms.

Quoted from PhilGreg:

BOOM!Got it working again!
One thing I'm having a bit of a hard time with to try and do cleaner work is unsoldering the pins where there's no trace in the back, and just a bit of copper around the hole. I'm getting better at it, but I'm still lifting about 1 out of 4 or 5... any tricks

What kind of tool are you using to desolder? Try less heat, and don't rub across the pad when it is hot with the tip. I use the Hakko 808. I apply heat, let the solder melt completely. Back the tip ever so slightly off the board, then suck. I use the gun at a 90 degrree angle and the board upright in most situations.

#33 10 years ago
Quoted from barakandl:

Only three flashes is a u8 5101 ram issue.

Doesn't the 3rd flash mean the 5101 passed? No 4th flash would be PIA U10 failure.

Right, or am I mixed up?

EDIT: Not counting the 'flicker' as a flash.

#34 10 years ago

OOops.... Ken is correct.

flicker = start to boot (u9 and u6 generally good)
1 = roms good
2 = u7 good
3 = u8
4 = u10
5 = u11
6 = display interupt good
7 = zero crossing good

#35 10 years ago

Ok thanks guys, I'll check it out next week, I'm out of town right now.
As for desoldering, I just use my regular soldering tool with the plastic "push in-pop out" vacuum thing.

1 week later
#36 10 years ago

Alright,
I finally figured it out. I went and soldered all the contacts that have traces running on the upside of the board directly on that side, I pulled out the U2 and U6 and gave them a good cleaning with contact cleaner: still random flashes. Either nothing, always on, 2 flashes, 3 flashes, 6 flashes.
Double checked all the continuity using your diagram, all good.
Finally... I triple check them, found out I had discontinuity somewhere. This is where I used a wire on the backside to repair a trace I had broken. The cold solder had broken, and the wire was making contact, but not all the time.

Repaired that, and I had 6 flashes last 30-40 times I tried. I still need to put it back in the machine, but so far so good.

A LOT of time spent on this but I think it gave me good practice, my soldering was looking much better towards the end.

#37 10 years ago

Installed back on the machine at my buddy's place, he played many games yesterday without any issues.

Thanks to all for your help!

Phil

1 month later
#38 10 years ago

Well it looks like it's not going to be easy with this one...
My friend played the machine intensively for a 3 weeks, then 1 week ago he tells me it stopped working. I bring the board home and plug on my test fixture and get solid green LED.

I push on the chips, restart it and get the 6 flashes. I try it about 30 times and get 6 flashes each time. When I get around to restoring that machine I'll get a brand new MPU but for now I figured I'd just tell my friend to try pushing on the chips if he has problems. (I know, I know...)

I get back to his place, plug the board back in - still get 7 flashes but the game won't start. I get weird random behavior instead of that (garbage on the displays, no startup chimes, etc. etc.).
As I'm typing this I'm wondering if I didn't simply plug a connector backwards.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Phil

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from PhilGreg:

Well it looks like it's not going to be easy with this one...
I get back to his place, plug the board back in - still get 7 flashes but the game won't start. I get weird random behavior instead of that (garbage on the displays, no startup chimes, etc. etc.).
As I'm typing this I'm wondering if I didn't simply plug a connector backwards.
Any ideas?
Thanks
Phil

That sounds like bad socket pins for PIA u11. U11 controls the displays(except u10 does some display latching) and solenoids. Since it passes the power on self test flash, than it is likely the output pins 1-20 on the bottom row. This is the prime zone for corrosion issues.

The sockets on all -17 games really need to be replaced(by someone with experience and right tools) if you want any sort of reliability.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Walnut Creek, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 69.00
$ 179.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-mpu-bobby-orrs-power-play-socket-spacing-for-rom and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.