• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by csab00
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hi!

I have a Bally-Midway Firebally Classic pinball machine what has an iteresting MPU board the CPU is 6802 not 6800.
The memory IC is not 5101 then 5114
I am just wondering if the Leon test eprom works or not ...

I think the Leon works with 6800 CPU on my dead MPU board i dont know if the CPU does not start or the Leon software is locked.

Thanks in advance!

#2 1 year ago

It's not much, but this is pretty much all the info I've seen about this MPU:

http://www.pinball4you.ch/okaegi/pro_6802.html

#3 1 year ago

You might try Big Al - he's around here, and may know more about that board.

#4 1 year ago

The Bally 6802 MPU board was used on two games: Fireball Classic and the last of the "-35" architecture Cybernaut.
Neither of these games use the extra RAM capacity provided by the 5114 or the enhanced ROM address capabilities.

Provided your Leon ROM is correctly mapped it should work.
6800 vs 6802 makes no difference here.

#5 1 year ago

The 6802 was a direct replacement for the 6800. Bally R&D scrambled to redesign the -35 board when it was discovered at the last minute some chips were no longer available for a new run. At the time the 6800 MPU was approaching 10 years of production which is an eternity in the board world. Chips that were common in 1975 were going extinct by the mid 1980's. The 6803 board was not ready yet so a revision of the 6800 board was rushed through using available components.
As for compatibility with the Leon Ram, no idea so I defer to Quench on this one.

#6 1 year ago

Thank you for your answers!
I have managed to fix my board i can confirm that the board is running with leon test eprom!
My board was completely dead thats why leon test eprom was not running...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 199.95
3,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Monterey, CA
$ 10.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-mpu-board-6802-and-leon-test-eprom-question-?hl=bigal56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.