Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_9359 (resized).JPG
IMG_9358 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Hi guys. Working with Bally mpu board.
It blinks 2 times.

I changed 5101 ic and still only blinks 2 times.

I took its 5101ic to my fathom board, and it wouldent start up. So i know its ic is dead. But when it still does not start up with new and checked/working 5101 ic. Where should i look next?

#2 7 years ago

Replace the 5101 socket

#3 7 years ago

It common for the U8 socket to fail due to corrosion from leaking battery or just from age, as pinben suggested, replace the socket. Be careful when handling the 5101 IC, they are very sensitive to static electricity.

#4 7 years ago

Is u8 socket for the 5101?

#5 7 years ago
Quoted from DEN:

Is u8 socket for the 5101?

Yes basically. The 5101 plugs into a socket at U8.

With a logic probe you can test the socket. With the ROMs removed, all pins should be pulsing except CE2, Ground and vcc (+5v). Probe on the 5101 leg while plugged into the socket. Just note pressure from the probe lead could make continuity.

#6 7 years ago

Allright. Thanks

IMG_9358 (resized).JPGIMG_9358 (resized).JPG

IMG_9359 (resized).JPGIMG_9359 (resized).JPG

#7 7 years ago

You have to get that battery corrosion cleaned up before anything is going to be reliable on that board.

#8 7 years ago

I have only found one european store that sells batterydamadge rebuildkit and thats besfofpinball. De and they are sold out. Sucks

#10 7 years ago

Whouw looks nice. Thanks.
Dont have this product where i live. But can i use bleach with ph1 and corrotion comes off??

#11 7 years ago

Bleach is an alkaline with a high PH number about 12. It is similar to the battery leakage that caused the damage to the board.

You need to find an acid based liquid. If you examine the various toilet bowl cleaning products you should be able to find one that is HCL (hydrochloric acid) based. Vinegar is also a weak acid that has been used in the past for neutralizing battery corrosion.

The HCL product that is recommended is a jell like substance that doesn't run easily. However with care and multiple applications you can use a runny acid product to clear the corrosion.

Also, you can use Muratic acid associated cleaning concrete.

Using a strong acid is dangerous and extreme care must be exercised in use.

#12 7 years ago

So just need to find something with ph1??

Can it hit parts without damadging them? Components?

#13 7 years ago

Using an acid based product to remove and nutrialize alkaline corrosion caused by battery leakage will not
damage potted chips, resistors, ceramic capacitors or diodes. Do not get acid on electrolytic capacitors or
relays.

So you have to use care in the use of acid on your circuit board. Alkaline corrosion follows the tin/lead traces
and creeps up the legs of chips and can get internal to chips and other parts in serious corrosion conditions.

So that is why chips, resistors, sockets and other components in corrosion areas need to be replaced.

Products do not usually indicate the PH number but list components. So you are looking for a product with
HCL as the main component and is usually indicated as a percentage of the total product, such as a 5%.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,299 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grandview, MO
3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bay Shore, NY
$ 199.95
$ 10.00
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Lancaster, OH
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-mpu-board-2-blink and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.