(Topic ID: 253657)

Bally MPU -35, problems with booting (no LED flashes)

By frsj8112

5 months ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by frsj8112
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 months ago

Ok guys, i've been working on this Bally MPU -35 board for a few days and it's driving me nuts.

The original Frontier ROM set was not working properly, EPROMs (2716s) were bad, so i converted the board to 2732, so that I could use the EPROMs I had in stock.

Now I can get the board working on my testbench (JAMMA switching PSU) with +12DC, +5DC and ground.
I get 6 flashes on the LED and all seems fine.

When I put the board in the cabinet, the LED gives the initial flash and then it halts.
Put it back on the JAMMA-rig, and it works again.

What in the lords name is wrong???

#2 5 months ago

Bad 12 volts?

#3 5 months ago

I've tried the MPU board from my known working Vector machine and when running that board in the Frontier machine it works like a charm.

#4 5 months ago

Replace J4 header and connectors.

#5 5 months ago

Is 5v possibly a bit low?

#6 5 months ago

It’s weird though when the Vector MPU works fine in the Frontier machine

#7 5 months ago

Measure the 12v and 5v when the suspect board is installed. There may be a short that is loading those voltages down.

#8 5 months ago

I tried the board today in the Frontier machine using Leons test rom and it worked as it should, it was pulsing the LED.
Then I switched back to the Frontier ROM set (2732's) and it did not boot. Tried flicking the power switch a bunch of times and all of the sudden the MPU booted!?

Powered off the machine again and powered it on and it stopped booting again after that.
Really weird

#9 5 months ago

I repatched the MPU so it can use 2532 EPROMs instead and now it works like a charm. Really weird but now I'm happy again

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball
$ 50.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
$ 149.00
$ 9.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 44.99
Electronics
PinballElectronics.com
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside