You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

embryon (resized).jpg
IMG_20180118_153115533 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180118_153127198 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

i have a bally embryon that wont boot. it just gets the first flicker when powered on. having recently got this machine, it has booted a few times (with no sound) but now wont boot anymore. i found on the back of the mpu were jumper wires to different stuff. i reflowed those wires and it booted a couple of times. i thought it was fixed but then stopped booting again. i read up on jumpers to investigate closer, and found the wires on the back of MPU are not the jumpers but are mostly going from U2 to different stuff. Im confused as to what they are there for at all. And also inspecting each jumper, i found only about half of them were correct. but it had booted previously.
why would these jumpers from U2 and other places be necessary? some wires connect to U1 and U3, where there arent even chips.
anyone seen this or did this before?
thanks

IMG_20180118_153127198 (resized).jpgIMG_20180118_153127198 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180118_153115533 (resized).jpgIMG_20180118_153115533 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

someone had trouble replacing the U2 socket and made a mess that they needed jumpers to fix. I am guessing something else got opened up. Most of the pins at U2 will connect to the same position at U6, so you can buzz out between those two sockets looking for the open one. Looks like the chip enable (unique connects compared to u6) already got jumpered.

#3 6 years ago

heres a pic with labels for clarity

embryon (resized).jpgembryon (resized).jpg

#4 6 years ago

well that worked. there were a few that were open that i reflowed. it just booted up.

any thoughts as to if i should replace U2 socket and correct jumpers, or just leave be?

thanks for the help
-barry

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from BarryMulvihill:

well that worked. there were a few that were open that i reflowed. it just booted up.
any thoughts as to if i should replace U2 socket and correct jumpers, or just leave be?
its funny someone who had trouble replacing a socket created a solution as complex as this.
thanks for the help
-barry

Gently flex on the chip while powered up. If it makes the CPU lockup or reboot you will eventually have problems that socket. If it seems stable I wouldnt screw with it anymore since it will likely get worse if you try and rework it 2nd time.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 25.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 7.50
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 1,099.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-mpu-2518-35 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.