C834E3BB-DFA2-45A6-B0DA-9F8850552309 (resized).jpeg
2D8070C4-F523-4641-B4B1-A12357522B01 (resized).jpeg
lock relay GO switch (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
DE8D597B-EDB9-4ADB-9DE1-75B06820C170 (resized).jpeg
E23EF1E3-6A0E-4B50-9E1F-A25BFFDF3D21 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nikrox2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

I’ve been working on a Bally “Monte Carlo”. Just about got her working - except the following -

BTW - I’ve been reviewing the great breakdown by “xsvtoys” on this game and it’s been a great help and reference for future repairs - hoping you chime in here. - back to my issue-

I’ve cut & pasted the following from the previous post referenced above -

1. Reset the Reset Motor (resets all of the trip relays) (happens right away)
2. Lower the pop-up post if it happens to be up (happens right away)
3. Advance the Total Play Meter by one (score motor rotation #1, at #3 cam)
4. Reset the Coin Unit to position 1 (score motor rotation #1, at #3 cam)
5. Reset the Ball Count Unit to position 1 (score motor rotation #1, at #3 cam)
6. Reset the Player Up Unit to position 1 (score motor rotation #1, at #3 cam)
7. Reset the Credit Unit by 1 (remove 1 credit) (score motor rotation #1, at #3 cam)
8. Latch any of the four 100,000 point relays if they have been tripped in the previous game by going over 100,000 points (score motor rotation #1, at #4 cam)
9. Energize the Game Over Latch Relay (take game out of Game Over condition) (score motor rotation #1, at #4 cam)
10. Reset all 16 of the Score Reels to the 0 position (During score motor rotation #1 and #2, ending at cam #6 of rotation #2)
11. Kick out the ball to the shooter lane (score motor rotation #3 at cam #7)

My troubles are:

#7 - does not step down the credit unit

#9 - the game over relay momentarily activates but does not stay activated - therefore stays in game over mode. If I manually activate and hold that fully open- game plays (pops, flippers, scoring switches and reels - all work.) Until I release the GO relay.

#11 - although I can manually stroke the outhole and either bonus hole relays and they kick out accordingly - when I have the game operating by holding the GO relay open- none of these three work. Does not kick the ball out to shooter trough or out of bonus holes

So I’m thinking the game reads that it is still in GO mode? Even though all other items listed operate in order.

Any thoughts tips or ideas ? Thanks in advance

#3 2 years ago

Here are some shots of the GO relay. One without my finger is how the machine leaves it after hitting start button. It’s in game over mode. The other photo with my finger is once I push it all the way over the game seems to then work (besides the outhole and bonus hole issues mentioned above which happens even when I manually push the GO relay)

It seems the relay needs to pull all the way against the latch magnet and the momentary movement during start sequence although setting the “latch plate” it is not holding it far enough or close enough to the magnet to activate the switches to get it out of game over mode.

I think. Lol

Adjust the switches or the coil mechanism ? Caused by something else?

372F002A-2DF1-4D3A-B03C-1F89A312C602 (resized).jpeg372F002A-2DF1-4D3A-B03C-1F89A312C602 (resized).jpeg85F8305A-1F41-4E01-8D3D-50D4847E6C29 (resized).jpeg85F8305A-1F41-4E01-8D3D-50D4847E6C29 (resized).jpeg
#5 2 years ago

Thanks for the posts.

Checked cam switch 3a and the m/b

I’ve attached photos of the Lock Relay both powered off and once game start or left flipper pushed (cleaned all switches)

On the photos of the GO relay - the first one although it looks like one of the relays (trip) is activated - the metal plate is loose and the coil is not powered.

With my finger pushing the GO relay - as if the “latch” relay was holding continuous, that’s when the game operates - but notice the first switch also activates the “trip” coil - so both can’t be activated at the same time - correct?

1C9BB6C7-1E1B-4380-8CEB-59CDB4D972A3 (resized).jpeg1C9BB6C7-1E1B-4380-8CEB-59CDB4D972A3 (resized).jpeg8671B301-609E-47C5-878A-5450268DBB94 (resized).jpeg8671B301-609E-47C5-878A-5450268DBB94 (resized).jpeg
#9 2 years ago

Here are shots of the Ball Count Unit - in start mode , switches open, then the other photo is after I manually stroke the unit to the next ball. Switches closed

Another shot of the GO relay. Pulled wires apart and can’t see any touching.

Let me know if I need to zoom in any closer or another shot

C0A3752A-CD51-4642-B6D4-8546F650ADE9 (resized).jpegC0A3752A-CD51-4642-B6D4-8546F650ADE9 (resized).jpegDE8D597B-EDB9-4ADB-9DE1-75B06820C170 (resized).jpegDE8D597B-EDB9-4ADB-9DE1-75B06820C170 (resized).jpegE23EF1E3-6A0E-4B50-9E1F-A25BFFDF3D21 (resized).jpegE23EF1E3-6A0E-4B50-9E1F-A25BFFDF3D21 (resized).jpeg
#10 2 years ago

Note - when I manually push the GO Relay open now (as if the latch coil was holding it) the trip coil no longer activates.

Before when I did that - the trip coil vibrated (activated) the whole time I held the GO relay - no longer doing this.

#11 2 years ago

I loosened and adjusted the trip coil - to make it align with the plastic tab better. I think you can see the better alignment in that last photo.

I’ve now adjust the switch leaves to open/ close per the new alignment - and how each position of the tab is in (open or close) - and I’m now able to start a game from the start button. So possible progress

I say that as I’m now not getting any ball number to show up - the outhole and bonus holes still do not work - and I still have to manually step the ball unit.

I have to manually reset the ball Count unit now. - before it reset on its own

I was able to step thru the balls (1 thru 5 then game over - even tho no ball indicator light was on) by manually stroking the outhole relay. But now it is not causing the ball unit to activate - so I have to manually step the ball count unit. Again- I still have to manually reset it to start a game

So progress a bit. Or am I going backward here. Lol

#12 2 years ago

Updating as I go here.

For one I guess you have to score 100 points before the outhole relay activates the ball count unit (or mine is) but anyhow I can now

Start a game (still no ball number lights showing)

Although the outhole itself is not working - if I manually stroke the outhole relay (after scoring 100 point min) I can step thru 5 balls and get game over.

Still not resetting the ball count unit tho…

Still not seeing ball number..

Still no outhole or bonus holes working (although they all 3 kick if manually stroking their independent relays )…

#13 2 years ago

If I hold the start button in for a bit (until I see the lights change) it now resets the ball count unit and starts a game

Still no out hole so I have to manually stroke the outhole relay - stepping thru 5 balls to game over.

No ball indicator lights or outhole / bonus hole operation - but making progress nonetheless.

#14 2 years ago

The m/b on the GO relay needed adjustment. - that got the ball indicator lights working.

One more step completed!

Now for the outhole and bonus holes. Again - they work by stroking their relays. But not from their playfield switches.

#17 2 years ago

Right now all is working except the aforementioned holes (damn holes. They get me in trouble every time). Lol.

Anyhow. Game starts, can add additional players. All scoring and resetting working etc

Just no outhole or bonus hole action. Looking at the schematic the three of them tie thru scm7c (see attached photo). It’s open. If I close any of those other three - I get nuttin

Again they work when manually stroking their relays. But not they their switches on the PF

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#18 2 years ago

And yes skidave (thanks as always ). Once I get her going fully I’ll take her fully down for a good cleaning and contact inspection.

My system and it’s totally backwards from my mentor - he just tears it all apart - clean and adjust as it should be -puts them back together and viola all works. Lol

I like to at least start with what works - then trouble shoot - then tear down and clean (that way I know what I may have caused in cleaning ). I guess it goes with confidence level - and I’m not there yet. (Yet)

The majority Does look like it was the GO relay out of adjustment with the latch plate. And then adjusting the switches to meet - understand your comment there too. I’ve gone down rabbit holes chasing similar issues.

Back to these holes now! Ha!

#19 2 years ago

If I hold the Bonus Control relay in, all three of these work. Not sure if that’s a clue?

#20 2 years ago

Outhole seems to be fixed - it was scm1D.

Now for the bonus holes

#21 2 years ago

And scm1c was not closed keeping the bonus holes from working. I think we have brought another one back ! Now to take her apart for a good cleaning!

4 weeks later
#23 2 years ago

Ugh. Back to the same issues on this one guys. I had her going (all but a weak flipper on the left not dropping back down and a couple missing rollovers on top) but now I’m back exactly where I was before -

Game Over Relay “Trip” keeps it on game over mode. Switch labeled #1 on “xsvtoys” photo of the GO relay in both tripped / latched conditions - is hot so when it tries to latch it goes right to game over

All steps above listed as before - step 7 does not take away credits, step 9 does not hold the GO relay in. (All other steps happen as they should)

Per schematics -
Ball Count unit zero is open
Player Up unit zero is open

Per previous comments (I went back thru them all) I checked for possible shorts between wires / solder connections, adjusted / cleaned all switches Scm3 & 4 close as they’re supposed to.

I’ll try to upload the video of her previously working. Raised the playfield to work on the left flipper and now right back where I started. I added a more detailed description in the video description attachment if that helps

Can also take and send any photo of any relays or switch. Just let me know which is needed.

Ugh.

#25 2 years ago

Played about 12 games after this video - then started to work on the flipper issue - and back to game over relay trying to stay latched. Won’t start a game now. Frustrating

Any help or comments ? Thanks in advance!

#27 2 years ago

Hey! Thanks for the tip. I’ve heard of similar issues. I did try it just now. Still no luck.

It is “tripping” as soon as that #1 switch on the GO relay closes. But it has to close to get the game to work. So thinking something in front of that is causing it to trip.

#31 2 years ago

Guys - first thank you for your time. And your help. Great tip- here is a better photo and I pulled the plastic tubing down to see the connection better. Looks like the switch is open. Looks like the connectors are not touching. BUT:
Using my meter set for continuity - I’m getting signal touch each of the open blades. And I’m getting signal by touch each separate connector. Even though I see nothing touching

Short somewhere up stream?

2D8070C4-F523-4641-B4B1-A12357522B01 (resized).jpeg2D8070C4-F523-4641-B4B1-A12357522B01 (resized).jpeg
#32 2 years ago

Not necessarily a short but a stuck switch? I did the paper between the switches. I’ll now check each one with my meter to be sure.

#33 2 years ago

On the Ball Count unit - the switch closest to my finger (double yellow ) gets a signal from either side of the Lock Relay blades/connectors (just the one side with double yellow)
The next switch over - even though it is open I’m getting signal (tone) touching blade to blade or it’s two connectors together - like it too is closed yet showing open

Not sure if it helps but giving what Info I’m seeing.

C834E3BB-DFA2-45A6-B0DA-9F8850552309 (resized).jpegC834E3BB-DFA2-45A6-B0DA-9F8850552309 (resized).jpeg
#34 2 years ago

Better photo of the connection on the Lock relay. Can’t see where they are touching.

1EB5DFF1-B6CE-44FA-A717-FE6E4DD1C82A (resized).jpeg1EB5DFF1-B6CE-44FA-A717-FE6E4DD1C82A (resized).jpeg
#35 2 years ago

The plot thickens. I took the playfield out to check all that I can. While inspecting the relay bank I found this in the bottom just loose (and no nothing looks to be missing in the relay bank)

Was so hoping it was causing a short, but pulled this out and still same results.

Not sure where it should go or if part of the issue here ?

This game doesn’t have an original door, has no door internals - so may have been off a prior door ? (This door just has a single button- wired to the top Two jones plug holes where the door should plug in to)

83509491-AE24-42B7-93D3-80AEEB70E9DC (resized).jpeg83509491-AE24-42B7-93D3-80AEEB70E9DC (resized).jpegDE7F2F70-2751-40D7-B6DA-51CFFE687EB3 (resized).jpegDE7F2F70-2751-40D7-B6DA-51CFFE687EB3 (resized).jpeg
#37 2 years ago

Thanks again. Making some progress tho - at least now I know the switch on the Lock is causing the GO relay to trip.

Now to find out why the Lock switch is “shorted” closed. Weird

Yes, I’ve looked all over the game, under the playfield. That piece doesn’t even look similar (no tabs on the end). So thinking it was off the old door. Can’t remember the name. But the one where it won’t allow coins to be dropped if powered off I believe not sure. I’ll keep looking tho

#38 2 years ago

Unfastened the long relay board to look underneath - for possible mouse damage or other way this switch could be “shorted”. But all looked good

And you’re right- almost anywhere I have the Yellow wire (score motor/relay bank) I’m getting contact back to this one switch - so there’s something closed or shorted that shouldn’t be

I found this (see photo) so now I’m a little skeered! Who knows what else may be lurking! I’ve seen worse hacks tho so at least they had a working flipper, I give them that!

D7A622DE-A4EF-481C-9026-6D665850D83B (resized).jpegD7A622DE-A4EF-481C-9026-6D665850D83B (resized).jpeg
#39 2 years ago

Looking at the switch stack on the tilt relay in the large relay bank. The small plastic actuator tab was off when it came in. And I’ve knocked it off when pulling the playfield. May have that plastic off or switch closed/open?

#40 2 years ago

Nope. That’s ok. Just checking.

#41 2 years ago

Do the schematics show where the two wires on switch 1 on the Lock Relay run to ? Where do they land? How do I read / see that info on the schematics? (For learning purposes here)

#43 2 years ago

Thanks "xsvtoys"! Make sense. Just can't figure out how the G-R wire is connecting to the Y somewhere/how/place?

Looking at my post #33 , the one switch on the Ball Count Unit is also reading closed when it is clearly open - could that be leading to this one reading closed? I've looked over that one as well but can't see where I have two tabs/wires/blades touching, but I'm still looking.

#45 2 years ago

Looks the same here. In 5 ball mode

#46 2 years ago

If I hold down scm4e it seems to hold to ball 1 (game over light goes out) for just a bit longer - then it still goes to game over. So scm4e looks to be working correctly from your write up (which is an excellent learning tool and I know it took weeks if not months so for all thank you for those endeavors)

#47 2 years ago

And your right again. Any if these three locations of the G-R wire - GO Relay,Lock Relay or the 3/5 ball jones plug- I can get tone with any yellow. So they’re crossed somewhere.

#49 2 years ago

No problem. We’re in no rush. This is actually another pinsider’s. I’ve just been trying to get her fully going them clear her up for him

He has a 2nd exact game. We just went thru it about a month or so ago.so we do have that for reference if needed. (Although that one is giving bonus points at the end of each ball, changes to next player and adds bonus for that player as the ball kicks out) - so I’ll need to get that one back here if two helps me! Lol

I do keep going thru her. Cab and head. Looking for a shorted connection, connector tabs together , mice damage, anything -even checking jones plugs. So I’m still trying.

#50 2 years ago

It’s somewhere in the Ball Count unit. Started to take a separate photo of each point on the schematic and when I loosen the BCU from the main board - it starts as it did.

So down to the culprit I believe I’ll post back what I find

#51 2 years ago

Yep. Short under the BCU / relay board area. Finally found this rascal! And now makes sense after playing several games it must have shaken/moved enough to get it shorted

Searching up logic and checking switches , etc I’m still learning. But throw in some mice damage and you can go down a hobbit hole!

Back to playing again!

Thanks for all the help and time! Case closed

#53 2 years ago

I have a photo but it's saying it's file size is too large. let me see what I can do. damn smart phones..lol It was actual mice damage (my guess?) , the cloth covering had been eaten in a few places. I've had "short" issues, but this one took forever to find...thanks again for your help!

I've noticed you, "Baldtwit" and "skidave" are always helping others - kudos and thank you all!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Nikrox2.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-monte-carlo-help-needed?tu=Nikrox2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.