• Latest reply 7 years ago by TimMe
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Capture (resized).PNG
#1 7 years ago

Is this the correct way this is setup per Bally Catalog?

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG

#2 7 years ago

I looked in all the Bally manuals I have and they don't show a diagram of the tilt bob. Technically this would work but it does have one disadvantage. That disadvantage is with the length of the pendulum from the fulcrum point being too short. This results in a fast moving tilt bob. The only way I would do this is if the tilt wire is too short; but in that case I'd move the ring up or the hanger down.

#3 7 years ago

I solved that issue... I remove the annoying little bastards...but, to each, their own...

#4 7 years ago

The weight is upside down in all my Bally games according to that diagram.

#5 7 years ago

Hi mrbanjo +
schudel5 mentioned it - ... fulcrum point ... - ALL my pendulum Tilts are mounted "the other way". A plausible explanation is here http://www.stevechannel.com/tiltmechanism.htm --- last picture and "Chip Morton offered ...", greetings Rolf

#6 7 years ago

I just need to jump in here and say that the "Chip Morton" suggestion does not seem to be correct to me.

Yes, we did have kids back in the day who would pick up and drop the front of a pingame, but that was to bounce the coin switches and get free games.

It seems very unlikely that kids dropping a game would have any idea about the internal workings of the tilt bob, or would be willing to do something that aggressive for the implicit reward of (maybe) not having the game tilt the next time they played. Now, having the credit wheel add credits when you drop the front - that's the kind of immediate reward kids could understand.

Also, in my experience, in those cases where the plumb-bob cone did drop to the cabinet bottom (it happened once in a while when the spring clip holding the cone got weak) then the rod would often still be inside the top of the cone with the cone resting (unmoving) on the cabinet bottom, with the rod or cone contacting the ring. That would put the game into permanent tilt, with no way to get it out. So a loose cone was more likely to permanently disable a game, rather than make it immune to tilting during play.

Finally, it is always the case that when the pendulum cone and the contact ring are higher up (closer to the hanger for the rod), the game is LESS sensitive to tilting. When the cone and ring are lower down on the rod (farther away from the hanger for the rod) then the game is MORE sensitive to tilting. It's a simple device, driven by simple physics.

So, it's totally OK to orient the cone the way it is shown in the picture in post #1. If you do that, you will make the game less sensitive to tilting.

- TimMe

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Shrewsbury, MA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pomona, CA
$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

1,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-mid-70s-tilt-bob and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.