2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by BigAl56
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 2 years ago

Eight Ball. Alltek mpu. Worked for over a year. Failed. Boots fine, 30 sec in fails. (No displays locks up) Turn off - then on fails after first horse race chime. Wait a few minutes and it give you 30 seconds of play. Sent board in to Alltek. Bad 6800 microprocessor. David said he'd never seen that before. Board back installed. Worked good. For a couple of days. Good news is that Marco has them, bad news is why is this chip taking a hit. Any thoughts? I can't decide if it's downstream (Diode) or upstream - driver regulator board.

#2 2 years ago
    Quoted from Seamlesswall:

Any thoughts? I can't decide if it's downstream (Diode) or upstream - driver regulator board.

What testing have you done?

#3 2 years ago

I'd be looking at the power supply to see how the 5 volts looks.

#4 2 years ago
    Quoted from KenLayton:

I'd be looking at the power supply to see how the 5 volts looks.

Ken just got to Wizard mode!
    So, as mentioned this machine had, to quote my favorite director, a "major malfunction" previously, because the microprocessor had failed which was fixed for free by Alltek. To my delight, upon turning it on today, there was no booting sequence at all, meaning this was not the same problem. Checked all voltages at the transformer module. All within spec. Checked at the regulator driver. 5 v not even close even before being regulated. Took connector out that feeds the 5 v to the regulator, cleaned and deoxed pins. Booted. Knowing that this is the trouble spot, I located the wire within the connector at the transformer module, took out the crimp connector and cleaned that. Put it back, no boot. Replaced that crimp connector with a trifurcon and is all well now. The back of this board was taken out about a week ago and carefully inspected for any cold solder joints, anything suspect was reflowed as, I was trying everything to find the original cause. The final reason to ship the MPU out original was, I put it in another game and after booting it locked up a chime coil. So, at that point I knew it was in the Alltek MPU.

#5 2 years ago

Still have the original filter capacitors on the PS board? If so, time to replace them. I would suspect a possible power problem Have you measured the 5v?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-microchip-failure and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.