Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by meSz
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

Acquired our first pinball machine in December, Bally Medusa. We are considering changing the incandescent bulbs to LED. Will they work with the electronic/electrical package in this machine?

Oh another question, do you have to unscrew each socket underneath the playing field to replace the bulbs? Seems a bit crazy.

#2 2 years ago

yes, the game will take LED's, BUT you will need to either modify the existing lamp board or get an alltek board. There are adapter kits that make modifying the existing board easy.
Without this, your lights will flicker.

You do not have to unscrew all the lamp sockets, just bend them back to put in the new bulb.
Note: putting 555 led bulbs into the white plastic Bally sockets is a real pain! I found that pushing them straight in works best. You'll find out what I mean.
Wiggling them side-to-side will be very frustrating.

#3 2 years ago

It is just a personal opinion, but I would not change bulbs for LEDs on a Medusa.

I have a Medusa at home and always enjoy the rich and warm glow of so many incandescent lights on that playfield.

On my Xenon, on the other hand, I installed a few cold LEDs in some strategic locations. It is a completely different experience.

Yves

#4 2 years ago

LEDs look awesome in the inserts, GI it's a matter of taste.
Would go with color matched LEDs

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from rozi550:

do you have to unscrew each socket underneath the playing field to replace the bulbs?

They don't unscrew but just pull straight out! Medusa takes #555 bulbs so you just pull them out!

Also, more than likely, your machine probably doesn't have the original 3 targets atop the playfield. You can get them here http://www.langelius.com/

Not sure where you are in the Pittsburgh area but let me know if you need any other help!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside