(Topic ID: 142021)

Bally Mata Hari solenoid issues

By InfiniteLives

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

So I jumped power to ever coil and all worked except 2.

The coil in the coin door

The coil in the third chime (back row and closest to the middle)

I tested power on these 2 coils

Coin door 45 on power side, 0 on other

Chime coil, 45 on power side, 3 on other

Think if I change out these diodes that could have a positive effect?

#52 8 years ago

Not the diodes, gotta replace the coils. Measure ohms across the coil lugs. I bet the coin door coil is infinite and the chime coil is very high.

#53 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Not the diodes, gotta replace the coils. Measure ohms across the coil lugs. I bet the coin door coil is infinite and the chime coil is very high.

Okay, would these coils not working prevent the rest of the coils to not work during game play tho?

#54 8 years ago

so i checked the ohm's on those two coils and you are correct, they are way off, so I will order new coils. I do not think these are the reason I am not getting most of the coils to work in test mode or in gameplay tho

#55 8 years ago

Don't bother with the coin door coil unless you actually plan to put the game on location. You are correct, they have nothing to do with the rest of the coils not working.

So when you tested the coils manually, were you grounding the tab of each transistor on the SDB or using some other method?

#56 8 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

Don't bother with the coin door coil unless you actually plan to put the game on location. You are correct, they have nothing to do with the rest of the coils not working.
So when you tested the coils manually, were you grounding the tab of each transistor on the SDB or using some other method?

I just did the alligator clip trick and grounded one end and then briefly touched the terminal with the non-banded side of the diode with the other end to get the coil to fire. (FYI for anyone using this as a reference in the future, if you touch the other terminal you will blow your fuse at F4 so be careful)

the only connectors I havent rebuilt yet are the MPU, I have an Altek mpu in but original connectors. I have them on order, so perhaps I have a faulty connection there.

#57 8 years ago

The fact that some coils work lead me to believe the fault is in the SDB, instead of the MPU. If the solenoid select signals weren't getting through, none would work.

#58 8 years ago

That was my guess too, but I thought only some of the coils didn't work and if a couple data lines were bad you would have odd coils firing that didn't match the switches triggering them. It wouldn't hurt to test by grounding the tabs on the transistors to prove out the wiring and connectors to the playfield.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 55.00
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Boards
Troxel Repair

$ 10.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 29.00
Boards
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-mata-hari-solenoid-issues/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.