IMG_1404 (resized).JPG
IMG_1410 (resized).JPG
IMG_1398 (resized).JPG
Beater Bonus 2 (resized).png
Beater Bonus 1 (resized).png
mini-20180510_153505 (resized).jpg
mini-20180510_141139 (resized).jpg
Mariner Netzfilter neu 640.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pogofx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 1 year ago

New Sea Ray owner here Love the pin. Resurrecting this old thread. I'm slowly working it back into shape. Got it all working properly except the top center hole won't score the bonus. It will reset the bonus and eject the ball, but no score. Right lane scores, resets, and ejects properly. Those are both separate coils I see and I've cleaned and check the adjustment of the center hole coil leafs and checked connections. Scoring wheel spins just like with the right lane bonus collect, but no score registers. So got a little more trouble shooting to do

Does anyone have a PDF of the manual. I've found the long wiring schematic and the playfield parts page, but that's it. Thank for the assist.

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from clodpole:

I don't find a PDF, but I do have a paper copy of the manual. Steve Young's Pinball Resource will sell you one of those.
Meanwhile, if you look at E-22 on the schematic, you'll see a column labelled "Top Hole Relay" and one next to it labelled "Right Alley Relay". They each can get to the score motor by way of their own normally-open switch. So, the right alley could score and the top hole not score if the Top Hole Relay normally open switch doesn't close or is dirty. You might take a look at that relay looking for a switch with white/black wire.
Keep in mind you're getting free advice from an amateur....

Thanks for checking on the manual. Yes, I'll definitely look at that relay again and the wire. I did a quick cleaning but it was a bit rushed since I was pressed on time. And I need to check the spacing of the leafs again. Did look like there may have been a wire there that had been resoldered. I'll take a look again when I get home tomorrow and see which one. Of course that's the relay that is deepest in the cabinet and pesky to get to. Always the case. I feel like that's where the issue must be, but the scoring motor does spin when it is tripped. Just like when the right lane relay trips the motor.

Love this game. Absolutely brutal out lanes that are a mile wide, but that's part of the charm. Wife and I get a kick out of watching the ball go top to bottom and getting the minimum score possible - 10 pts. It'd be frustrating if it wasn't so funny. But sometimes you can get into a surprisingly good rhythm.

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Oh yeah, do you know about Mark Gibson's EM online repair clinics? He and several other EM experts coach you through a problem via the internet. A bunch of others (me included) watch and learn. You can sign up to be notified of the next clinic here:
https://www.funwithpinball.com/learn/EM-pinball-online-repair-clinic
When you get a notice, you just sign up your machine to be a patient at the ensuing clinic. Lots of problem games come out working, or at least working better.

Thanks, great info. I'll check it out. This is my first EM and I only started with the SS repair a few months back. I've troubleshot and fixed quite a few things, but only scraping the surface on what there is to learn.

Yep, I kinda figured that it was probably better suited to play a little slower. We gave it a pretty good tilt to keep it fast and brutal for now. I'll try out the tilt you suggested at some point to see the difference.

#60 1 year ago

Got her all working. The bonus reset relay and the bonus zero relay also play some part in it all, looking at the diagrams. Adjusted the leafs on those, readjusted the leafs on the top hole relay and found one leave on the scoring motor needing adjustment. Between all of those, it got the problem fixed. It was tricky since the scoring motor was turning for the top hole, but it just wouldn't send the score. Thanks for the help.

Got my best score shortly after fixing it. Collecting that top hole bonus helps - 56,170. Still a way to go.

#62 1 year ago

Anyone have a picture of how this bell is hooked up. I'm guess I'm missing some parts here and maybe a spring. Not sure.

IMG_1955 (resized).jpgIMG_1955 (resized).jpg
#64 1 year ago
Quoted from clodpole:

Expand this photo and you'll see that you're missing a big metal washer. A lot of those have been removed, and you'll notice the owner of the machine in the photo took out the whole bell!
https://pinside.com/pinball/machine/sea-ray/gallery
My machine isn't in a spot where I can pull it out right now or I'd photograph a working unit for you. Note that there's a Jones plug setting for bells at both 1000 & 100 points, or just at 100 points.
Fast forward to 2:00 in this video and you'll hear what a game set to ring all the time sounds like:

Awesome, thanks. I was just gonna rig something like that but figured I ask first. Yep, I have my set for 1,000 which feels about right. Like getting that 10 banger when you max the bonus out and collect.

#67 1 year ago
Quoted from clodpole:

PogoFX -
The next EM Pinball Online Repair Clinic will be held on Friday, November 18th.
At the last clinic we helped with issues on Upper Deck, Hee Haw, Target Pool and Card Whiz.
Clinic details and the invitation request form are at:
https://www.funwithpinball.com/learn/EM-pinball-online-repair-clinic
Please request your invitation by Wednesday, November 16th.
I'm going to be on the road that day and won't attend, but you might find it entertaining and educational

Great, thanks. I think I'm gonna be on the road as well, but if I can, I'll try to catch it. I've sure learned a lot already, as this is my first EM. It's been fun to work on. I've tracked down a lot of little issues and have it just about 100%. Just a few small tweaks left and flipper rebuilds.

Two coil questions for you or anyone with input.

1. What size coils are in your three pop bumpers? Mine are A-25-1000. Not sure if they seem a little week. The ball will rarely ever (almost never) pop hard enough off the lower bumpers to make it into the left waterfall lane or right bonus lane. I can't decide if a stronger coil is needed there to make that a more frequent event or if it's about right (not being rewarded with that very often).

2. What size are your flipper coils? Mine are actually mismatched right now and definitely need a little work. One is AF-25-600 / 28-800 and the other is AF-26-650 / 30-1200. I was thinking about an AF-25-500 / 28-1000 for both over on pinball life. The 30-1200 coil I have is too weak to catch a ball properly in the hold position and will bounce down and flip back up and send the ball into the out lane. Super frustrating. Don't know if this is in part due to the low holding of the 1200 coil or just part of needing a rebuild.

#69 1 year ago

Of course, I probably have a more a

Quoted from clodpole:

1) We have A25-1000. Ours will send the ball into the waterfall or the bonus lane, with the waterfall being the far more common. Bonus alley for us is usually achieved with a little backhand flip from the right flipper, after trapping the ball. That brings up:
2) We have AF26-650, 30-1200. Only on the rarest occasion does either flipper do what you describe, though trapping is a trick because of the absence of return lanes. You should be able to stop the ball with the coils you have.
You've done well with your other switches. Maybe check your EOS for too early of an opening, or a heavy coating of the white stuff that builds up on high current switches. Or, maybe a wire on the flipper coil has severed some of its strands or cracked its solder? Or (this is common) see if the flipper button switch contacts are incinerated or coated with that white stuff.
Just some ideas off the top of my head. Good luck! The game is really fun when its dialed-in.

Thanks for all that, that helps. I've been tweaking and tweaking and everything in it is getting dialed in well. I've made so many little adjustments and fixes since I first got it, it's a completely different game. Absolutely love it. I'm getting a little more action into both left/right lanes from both pop bumpers now. Maybe I'm just playing better. Mine tends to favor the bonus alley Definitely have got the ball control down a lot better, but just a little too much rebounding on the right flipper, so I'll rebuild them and match the coils. Funny how I anticipate its bouncing issue now and can adjust my play on that flipper and play around the problem. Have to catch the ball differently.

I've made a couple of cards I'll share here for those interested.

#70 1 year ago

I've made a few custom cards for Sea Ray. The Sea Ray image is not mine, I just added the text. Found the image somewhere on the internet but can't remember where now. I don't want to take credit for that and if someone around here made it, thanks, and take credit please.

I've got these in a word document also so you can edit as you like, but I don't think I can post a word doc, so I'll put the PDF's here. The are set for a 4x6 photo. I printed on glossy photo and just trimmed with scissors. Just message me if you want the Word docx.

Both (resized).jpgBoth (resized).jpgSea Ray Card 1.pdfSea Ray Card 1.pdfSea Ray Card 3 Balls.pdfSea Ray Card 3 Balls.pdfSea Ray Card 5 Balls.pdfSea Ray Card 5 Balls.pdf
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pogofx.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-mariner-sea-ray-club?tu=pogofx and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.