By bayoubilly70

3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BallyElCheapoLampSocketLabel (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bayoubilly70.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

The game is Gold Ball.

I snagged this nice picture from pinwiki:

- What is that component across points 2 and 3... is it a diode?

- If I want to prevent LED flicker, do I want to solder a 470 ohm diode across points 1 & 2, or across points 1 & 3 (and why?)?

Thanks folks!

BallyElCheapoLampSocketLabel (resized).jpgBallyElCheapoLampSocketLabel (resized).jpg
#3 3 years ago

Thanks for the reply but I'm not getting diodes and resistors mixed up. I'll try again:

1. What is that component between lugs 2 and 3 in the picture? Is it a diode..? I know Bally games or this era (early to mid-1980s) do not use a lamp matrix. This 555 socket is very common in games from that era as it is unmodified in the picture.

2. Taking this 555 socket, I know to prevent LED flicker I want to solder a 470 ohm resistor (so add it, its not currently in the picture) do I want to solder it between lugs 1 & 2 or between 1 & 3?

This game has SCRs that drive two lamps at once in many cases. There are two phases. I have a single SCR driving a lamp on phase A and phase B. In my case I have a one lamp flickering one phase A and one on all the time on phase B. I know the SCR on the AS-2518-147 is good.

Some of the lamps have the 470 ohm resistor soldered on them, some do not. In some cases, a single SCR will drive one lamp with the 470 ohm resistor in place while the paired lamp on the other phase does not have one.

I'm trying to figure out if the resistors that have been added are across the correct lugs.

Thanks!

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Yes, between 2&3 is a 1N4148 diode. Since this is a controlled lamp it has a diode.
The 470 ohm resistor would go between 1 & 3

Thanks for the response... I came across this post (#19 by kbliznick) that you shouldn't solder to the buss and therefore the resistor should be across 1 & 2, not 1 & 3:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/any-problems-with-leds-in-bally-6803#post-2644169

"At first I soldered one leg of the resistor to the lamp buss and the other leg to the individual wire at each of the offending lamps. This however caused the paired lamp on the SCR to stay solidly lit. I didn't notice this until I had about 15 of them done. D'oh.

So you can't solder the resistor across the buss to the output. You have to solder it just around the lamp, so that's the lug with the banded side of the diode to lug with the individual output (the single or double inuslated wire(s) and not the braided wire lamp buss)"

It sounds similar to my issue, but I'm still learning so.... keep the responses coming. Thanks again!

#7 3 years ago

The load resistor goes across 1 & 2: the physical lamp, not attached to the buss on 3. That did the trick, all lamps finally working normally. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 199.95
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bayoubilly70.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-lousy-lamp-socket-from-1983-questions-led-flicker-question-too?tu=bayoubilly70 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.