• 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by barakandl
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201210_191112 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

I've squared away my rectifier board on my Lost World (as of now), so I'm starting to move on to plugging the other boards in individually and verifying their voltages are good one by one. My solenoid driver board is giving me issues. All test points are good, except for TP2. TP2 is supposed to be 190vDC, adjustable by the trimmer pot RT1. Mine, however, tests consistently 240vDC, no matter what the trimmer pot is set at. It is the -22 revision of the board.
I recapped the board (including tantalum cap, upgraded C23 to a 15000uf cap), replaced both bottlecap transistors, reflowed the header pins, did the two suggested jumper mods (jumpered the negative lead of the cap C23 to the trace directly below it and tied TP1 and TP3 together), replaced Q23, replaced one of the diodes near the bottom of the board (CR8 IIRC, but that's not particularly relevant to this problem I don't think), replaced trimmer pot RT1.
I tested essentially everything in the 190vDC circuit, and I found that VR1 (the diode), R56, R35 and R54 all tested bad/out of spec. The fuse never blew.
My readings for Q22:
Red lead on base- c tests .64 and e tests .65
Black lead on base- c tests open, e tests 1.26
Black lead on c- e tests 1.25
Red lead on c- e tests open
My readings for Q23:
Red lead on base- c tests .64 and e tests .65
Black lead on base- c tests open, e tests open
Black lead on c- e tests .52
Red lead on c- e tests 1.03
Tests on Q22/Q23 were done within circuit, with the 4 parts I identified as bad earlier out of circuit (if it makes any difference). It seems to me that these are bad (even the one I just replaced).
Something I did notice is that from both Big Daddy and Marco, the cap that's supposed to be 360uf is sold as a 350uf. I'm assuming the 360uf isn't made anymore. Would this cause issues?
My plan was essentially to just shotgun replace the 6 parts that are bad, as well as the two 0.01uf 500v ceramic disc capacitors in the circuit. Is there anything else I should test or consider before going for this plan of action?

HV in = HV out usually means all three HV transistors are bad.

The 22k and/or 82k 1/2W resistor burn up when the transistors go bad. Can normally glance at a SDB and if you see the 22K or both resistors fried you can pretty much guarantee the HV section transistors are bad. The bally repair guide tells you to replace the 22k resistor if the if the HV transistors are bad, probably because it consistently burns up when the transistors fail.

HV in good but low HV out usually is bad zener diode.

The HV cap should be 150uF at 350v+ So i think you are probaby mixed up V rating with the uF rating. 360uF will be fine too as long as it is rated for over 350vdc.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

I pulled Q22 Q23 out of circuit and tested them; they tested fine that way. I could pull the other HV transistor out and test it too, but it is new. When you say "HV in = HV out usually means all three HV transistors are bad.", are you referring to 'HV in' as the HV from the transformer rectifier board, and 'HV out' as the HV from the solenoid driver board? If my understanding of the flow of power is correct (and it totally could not be), the 190vDC on the solenoid driver board is fed from the 230vDC on the rectifier board. IIRC (and I'm not sure if it would be smart to reconnect the solenoid driver board to test it again), TP2 on the rectifier board was testing lower than TP2 on the solenoid driver board.
The bad parts I talked about in the previous post don't really have any obvious signs of damage/burning up, they just tested out of spec.
I am having a new issue with F1 blowing on the rectifier board with J1 J3 plugged in, which I think is unrelated to the main problem of *this* thread. I will likely make a new thread about it if I can't figure it out through searching.

HV in = +230v from the transformer bridge. The unregulated voltage.

HV out = the regulated +175vdc for the displays leaving the HV section.

When the HV in is the same voltage as high voltage out and shows no adjustment with the pot, the transistors are bad, pretty much it has to be the transistors. To get that situation and it not be the transistors bad something is really hooked up wrong. Repaired hundreds of these boards. HV section fail mode is very consistent and common.

9/10 all three transistor fail at the same time so replace all three at once. People screw themselves by replacing them one at time and trying the board between each one and they keep frying other transistors. What GPE is hinting at is these can transistors are obsolete and one of the most faked parts is can'd transistors and v-regs. Never buy transistors from dodgy china sources if they are bigger than TO92. MJE3439 and BUX85 can be used if you have trouble sourcing the original and probably obsolete can parts. Get the bux85 version with the metal tab you you can still mount it to the heat sink (cut off middle pin and use tab for the screw hole connection). MJE3439 can have the small to220 heat sinks mounted to them, but honestly my temp measurements show they well within safe temp range naked.

#10 3 years ago

The resistor next to cr21 looks burnt too.

Is the zener short circuit or open circuit fail? Every time i had a bad zener in this circuit ended up with really low HV output.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from Knxwledge:

Thanks you guys. For now, one last question. In the schema, if a resistor says the ohm value, but doesn't mention the wattage, what is the wattage? 1/4 watt? For example, R55 is listed as 1.2k.

22k and 82k are 1/2w. 100k is 1w. rest 1/4w

1W resistors fit in place of half watt for 22k and 82k

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider barakandl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-lost-world-solenoid-driver-tp2-voltage-constantly-too-high?tu=barakandl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.