20220811_151636 (resized).jpg
20220811_151630 (resized).jpg
20220810_125843 (resized).jpg
20220810_115609 (resized).jpg
20220810_130007 (resized).jpg
20220810_130043 (resized).jpg
20220810_141912 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Machine has never worked while I've had it. Only thing that worked were back box lights. Put new X-Pin rectifier board in (old one was beyond repair), fuse 1 blows every time. Machine turned on, immediately blew F1, loud humming & back box lights come on & stay on after F1 blows. Playfield not working. Coin door lit up. Looked up wiring guide for rectifier and repinned J1 & J2 according to that (J1 wires were not in correct place according to wiring key I found). After moving wires in J1, the playfield lights up! 1st time I've ever seen it! But...still blowing F1.

Test pts:

Are J2 and J3 wired wrong? J3 wires aren't matching up to any wiring guide I'm seeing. Looks like I'm missing two at the end? Am I on the right track? What should I do next? Pretty new to repairing so please dumb it down. Thanks!

20220810_115609 (resized).jpg20220810_115609 (resized).jpg20220810_125843 (resized).jpg20220810_125843 (resized).jpg20220810_130007 (resized).jpg20220810_130007 (resized).jpg20220810_130043 (resized).jpg20220810_130043 (resized).jpg20220810_141912 (resized).jpg20220810_141912 (resized).jpg

#2 1 year ago

F1 is the 43v fuse. Check E9/E10 connections.
J2 in your pic looks correct. Unplug J1 and 3 and see if the fuse still blows. Confirm all your keys are correct and you are not plugging in a cable incorrectly.

#3 1 year ago

I'd say unplug everything from the rectifier board, and then one at a time plug stuff back in until something blows.

That will at least narrow down where to start looking

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from timab2000:

I'd say unplug everything from the rectifier board, and then one at a time plug stuff back in until something blows.
That will at least narrow down where to start looking

With only J2 plugged in, F1 blows immediately.

#5 1 year ago

J3 wiring key lists 1 more wire than mine has. Mine does not have white/yellow 43vdc. The lineup in mine skips it and leaves 1 empty on the end. Is this correct?

#6 1 year ago

Follow all of J2 wires and see if something is touching something it shouldn't be and shorting out.

Is the rectifier board wired correctly?

Load humming...is a coil locked up?

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from timab2000:

Follow all of J2 wires and see if something is touching something it shouldn't be and shorting out.
Is the rectifier board wired correctly?
Load humming...is a coil locked up?

Followed J2 wires, everything looks fine.

Followed the xpin guide for wiring board. Assuming it's wired correctly.

20220811_151630 (resized).jpg20220811_151630 (resized).jpg20220811_151636 (resized).jpg20220811_151636 (resized).jpg
#8 1 year ago

it's hard to tell from your pics.

your new rec board has 9 pins on J1 to accommodate other games that used the 9th pin, yours doesn't and plug must start from the left, connector pin 1 to header pin 1

can you post a pic of J2 connected to the header, curious if you have it upside down?

do you have keying plugs in your connectors?

I notice you have 3 different types of connector housings for each connection to rec board.

Lost World didn't come out with IDC connectors, someone has done this in the past. Would definitely swap them out for crimp type.

Did your rec board come with connector housings, pins and keying plugs?

Pretty sure Lost World came with credit knocker in Back Box, is it there, in the top left hand side, and wired up?

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

can you post a pic of J2 connected to the header, curious if you have it upside down?

do you have keying plugs in your connectors?

Yes, keys are in.

Quoted from Rikoshay:

Would definitely swap them out for crimp type.

I was in the middle of swapping to tri/molex when I noticed the J3 wires weren't matching up to the wiring key I was working with. I don't have a white/yellow 43vdc. No credit knocker box in back box.

20220810_130007 (resized).jpg20220810_130007 (resized).jpg20220811_141026 (resized).jpg20220811_141026 (resized).jpg20220812_111035 (resized).jpg20220812_111035 (resized).jpg20220812_112039 (resized).jpg20220812_112039 (resized).jpg
#10 1 year ago

Maybe try unplugging everything from all boards including rectifier and then replug everything, starting with rectifier.

And see if you can get rectifier plugged back in without blowing the fuse. Maybe something else is causing this.

Sounds like a pain in the ass but welcome to troubleshooting pinball machines

#11 1 year ago

The last pic shows the old heat sink bar still in place. This is likely shorting the large bridge, causing F1 to fail. Remove the bar.

#12 1 year ago

that's why you don't have the 43VDC wire in your connector 13 J3 as the credit knocker isn't there, that's what the wire is for.

it may just be that the above mentioned heat sink bar is the reason for your issue, it is held in place with the original heat sink compound and will just tap off.

what is odd id J2 is for the cabinet, and F1 is for your switched illumination, and there isn't any switched illumination in the cabinet.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Vector:

The last pic shows the old heat sink bar still in place. This is likely shorting the large bridge, causing F1 to fail. Remove the bar.

Took the heat sink off. Still blowing F1 when J2 only is plugged in.

#14 1 year ago

That ground braid needs to be secured better. It can’t be sticking up like it is . It will make contact with the wiring on the lamp panel and cause problems.

#15 1 year ago

try unplugging the door and see if the fuse blows?

with only J2 connected and the door out of the circuit it only leaves the mains coming in and the flipper switch returns.

#16 1 year ago

i see the white/green thin wire has a nick out of the insulation, ideally this should have some heat shrink it, but did you check all the wires that come from the transformer for breaks in the insulation?

#17 1 year ago

whilst you wouldn't want to think so being a new rec board, but it is possible BR1 is shorted internally.

are you able to check with a meter?

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

with only J2 connected and the door out of the circuit it only leaves the mains coming in and the flipper switch returns.

This is what I was going to suggest. Could be something as simple a bent lead on a lamp socket shorting it out. If the fuse doesn’t blow. He will know the problem is in the coin door.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

Unplugged coin door, still blows F1

Assuming this is the only connector to unplug correct?

20220813_110448 (resized).jpg20220813_110448 (resized).jpg
#20 1 year ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

i see the white/green thin wire has a nick out of the insulation, ideally this should have some heat shrink it, but did you check all the wires that come from the transformer for breaks in the insulation?

I repaired the nick, all other wires look fine.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

whilst you wouldn't want to think so being a new rec board, but it is possible BR1 is shorted internally.
are you able to check with a meter?

I will test but I need to watch some youtube vids before I do it. Still fairly new to using my dmm. It could be the board, but the game had the same problem before the new board.

#22 1 year ago
Quoted from Rikoshay:

So do you think I've narrowed it to flipper switch returns or the mains? I feel comfortable checking/repairing flippers but not mains. I'll give it a go and see. I'm like 15 fuses in now

Are you talking about the flipper switches inside the cabinet?

#23 1 year ago

On a positive note, the loud humming is gone after I re-soldered the speaker wire.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from SJ23:

So do you think I've narrowed it to flipper switch returns or the mains? I feel comfortable checking/repairing flippers but not mains. I'll give it a go and see. I'm like 15 fuses in now
Are you talking about the flipper switches inside the cabinet?

no I don't, but that is all that is left on J2 and doesn't explain the GI fuse going open.

and now you mentioned the problem existed prior to the new rec board I'm guessing to a short in the cabinet.

yes to flipper returns inside the cabinet, the actual flipper switches themselves, and yes to only connector for the door.

with the power off check the wires in the cabinet, you may need to cut a few cable ties? I'd be concentrating on following the GI wire, pin 1 on J2 from the female cabinet side back to J2. F1 is for your GI and that's the only wire (for the coin entry lamps).
Actually with J2 and the connector unplugged, use your meter (assuming you have one) and check for continuity from the J2 pin 1 plug (the probe tip should fit in from the wire side) to the other pins in the connector, you shouldn't hear a beep and/or see infinite resistance. But in your case you do want to hear a beep. If your meter beeps then you know which wires to look at. I'd assume you will get a beep and this will be the cause of F1 going open, if not I'll join you banging your head against the brick wall.

it sounds like the GI is shorting to ground.

it's unlikely but there could be solder blob that has shorted 2 wires, I say unlikely because it would have to some heavy duty blob to melt through the insulation and join 2 or more wires.

it only takes the thinnest of stray wire strands, just one to cause a head f*ck.

it might be a bit late, but ideally you'd have purchased a circuit breaker and soldered a blown fuse to it, found on ebay, https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/403405655263 that you simply press a button resetting the fuse instead of going through fuses.

If the above fails i'd remove the wires/pins from the connector except the mains wires 6 & 7 (yellow & blue) and connect the plug and see what happens. If the fuse blows then it's the board or even though you've checked and checked the wire connections to board, it still may be them or the board is shorting on the ground plane. You can remove the rectifier board from its stand offs (to eliminate a short to ground) ensuring it's sitting nicely away from anything and power it up. If you are 100% sure the board is in no way touching the ground plane then don't bother. But the aftermarket rec boards I've seen have a connection from the rec board ground to the ground plane, so if your board has this you can remove it temporarily, just for the test.

#25 1 year ago

Thank you Rikoshay for taking the time to write a detailed response. I truly appreciate it. I will dive back into problem solving tomorrow.

2 weeks later
#26 1 year ago

SJ23 What happened?

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from CanadianPinball:

SJ23 What happened?

Kind of wondering the same.

#28 1 year ago

Sorry! Been busy and my Big Game was giving me issues so that took precedence for awhile. I broke down and actually have a pinball tech coming over tomorrow to help with Lost World. I checked everything I know how to check and can not figure out what is going on. Replaced flipper returns, checked all wiring, following all wiring to/from rectifier and everything tested fine. Days of pinwiki and forums...15 fuses later...15 hours later, I called the repair guy

I'll post after he checks it out tomorrow night.

#29 1 year ago

Welp, I'm very surprised. Brand new xpin board had a bad middle bridge. New board in & fuse doesn't blow. Lesson learned.

Needs a new mpu & sound board too. Ugh.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from SJ23:

Welp, I'm very surprised. Brand new xpin board had a bad middle bridge. New board in & fuse doesn't blow. Lesson learned.
Needs a new mpu & sound board too. Ugh.

You sure the existing boards can't be repaired?
Usually a pretty good option.

#31 1 year ago
Quoted from RCA1:

You sure the existing boards can't be repaired?
Usually a pretty good option.

After looking at the prices & availability of new boards, I'm going to look into it. I have never sent boards to someone to fix/refurb before. Cheaper overall? Any recommendations to someone fairly local? Just so I'm not sending them across the country.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-lost-world-fuse-problem and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.