(Topic ID: 265734)

Bally Loop the Loop Club - Welcome to the Circus!

By DavisAZ

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by DavisAZ
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

AEE9BB1C-DCD4-4A5F-A056-74E9DC0E6F43 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6418 (resized).JPEG
IMG_6426 (resized).JPEG
IMG_5435 (resized).JPEG
IMG_5428 (resized).JPEG
Bally Loop the Loop Pinball Rubber Layout Diagram (resized).jpg
IMG_5636_loop_the_loop_2 (resized).jpg
IMG_5636_loop_the_loop_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_6537 (resized).jpg
IMG_6533 (resized).jpg
IMG_6064 (resized).jpg
IMG_6047 (resized).JPEG
IMG_0407 (resized).JPG
IMG_5492 (resized).JPEG
IMG_5493 (resized).JPEG
#1 4 years ago

Hi everyone!
I was thinking it would be fun to have a Pinside club for Bally Loop the Loop! A place that we can share stories, photos... and ask questions.

I'll kick it off with my Story. Our Loop the Loop has been in our family for approximately 50 years! My dad purchased it sometime in between 1968-1971. Unfortunately neither my parents nor I can remember the exact year, but we know it was around that time. Sometime in the mid to late 90's, my dad sold me the game for $1. He said he just didn't want to give it way… and he actually made me give him the $1. Haha.

My dad holds the high score of 5,243 set back in 1990. My best score was 3,713. There have been a few other scores in the 2900's by friends and family over the years.

Overall I believe the game is in pretty good shape for its age. There are a few cracked/broken pieces along with ball trail marks from the shooter lane. I do know my mom took it upon herself many years ago to re-paint the cabinet. She said she just painted over the existing artwork just to freshen it up. The game was sitting outside under a covered patio for several years sometime in between 1979-1985? If only they had known better and kept the game inside.

Anyway - hope to see other photos and stories of all the Loop the Loops out there.

IMG_6047 (resized).JPEGIMG_6047 (resized).JPEGIMG_6533 (resized).jpgIMG_6533 (resized).jpgIMG_6537 (resized).jpgIMG_6537 (resized).jpgIMG_5492 (resized).JPEGIMG_5492 (resized).JPEGIMG_5493 (resized).JPEGIMG_5493 (resized).JPEGIMG_6064 (resized).jpgIMG_6064 (resized).jpgIMG_0407 (resized).JPGIMG_0407 (resized).JPG
#2 4 years ago

Questions:
1) Does anybody know what size rubber rings fit under the mushroom bumpers?
2) In order to remove the mushroom caps, do I just remove the clip underneath?
3) Is there anything else to be aware or careful of when removing the mushroom caps and replacing those rubbers?

Additionally - I had ordered the Loop the Loop rubber kit from Marco Specialties, and the diagram and some of the sizes were incorrect. Not sure if anyone else has come across this. So - I just made my own and have included the photo/diagram for your reference and feedback. This is just based on my notes and what I've installed (subject to change).

IMG_5636_loop_the_loop_1 (resized).jpgIMG_5636_loop_the_loop_1 (resized).jpgIMG_5636_loop_the_loop_2 (resized).jpgIMG_5636_loop_the_loop_2 (resized).jpgBally Loop the Loop Pinball Rubber Layout Diagram (resized).jpgBally Loop the Loop Pinball Rubber Layout Diagram (resized).jpg
#3 4 years ago

Question:
Has anybody cleaned or fixed the motor for the spinning bumpers?
When the game is started, it takes about 30-60 seconds for the motor to start spinning. It starts slowly and then it seems to spin at a good speed, but over the years I don’t know what a good speed for this game is anymore. I'm guessing it needs to be taken apart for cleaning or ?

Disclaimer – I’m not mechanically inclined, but interested in finding out what are some options for future (if and when the motor dies).

IMG_6418 (resized).JPEGIMG_6418 (resized).JPEGIMG_6426 (resized).JPEGIMG_6426 (resized).JPEGIMG_5428 (resized).JPEGIMG_5428 (resized).JPEGIMG_5435 (resized).JPEGIMG_5435 (resized).JPEG
#4 4 years ago

Great game! Played one at York and it became one of my favorite EMs.
The spinning motor is a unique idea not found in many games and the artwork and layout is pretty wacky and fun.

I have no experience with games like this, but I will say that the motor is most likely rebuildable if you bring it to any machine shop. Talk to a few see what they can offer. In the games I played I thought it spun up right away.
It could be old, dried up grease binding it.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from DavisAZ:

Has anybody cleaned or fixed the motor for the spinning bumpers?

I actually have both the Replay and Add-a-Ball versions of Loop-the-Loop, but haven't gone
through either yet, but have experienced in many 50V motors.
Sometimes the motor's casing does need to be takin' apart, but many times just cleaning the
armature shaft makes a huge difference. Even sometimes just a couples drops of light weight
oil on the armatures shaft, but what I would first try is taking the fan off the motor, then pulling
the two screws behind where the fan was so the armature can be pulled out. Keep an eye out,
sometimes there's some small chims. No big deal, just have to put them back in place.
Then clean the stems of the shaft and apply a thin layer of oil on the stem. Put the armature back
in place, and before screwing back on the piece, clean the hole that the stem rides in and maybe
apply a drop of oil. Then the fan, and all set. Doing this can't hurt, but could make a big difference.
On the mushrooms, pulling the C clip should do the trick..

#6 4 years ago

Thank you both for the ideas! That's what I was looking for.

1 month later
#7 3 years ago

My wife’s uncle just picked one of these up in NM it worked for a couple games and then got hung in a loop resetting over and over. I haven’t had the chance to dig into it yet but got a schematic so hopefully soon I will be able to start digging into it. I did notice while I did get to look at it that the tilt mechanism and the 2nd player coin mechanism are both missing. If anybody is interested I will update my progress on it.

AEE9BB1C-DCD4-4A5F-A056-74E9DC0E6F43 (resized).jpegAEE9BB1C-DCD4-4A5F-A056-74E9DC0E6F43 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#8 3 years ago

Hi - I'd be interested in your progress! How much did he end up paying for it?

1 year later
#9 2 years ago
Quoted from DavisAZ:

The game was sitting outside under a covered patio for several years sometime in between 1979-1985?

Did your Mom paint it after it sat under the covered patio? Not a bad job!
The machine in all looks pretty nice for living semily outside. At least I'm
thinking those pics in your 1st post are fairly recent (well after 1985)..

#10 2 years ago

I am a fellow fan and owner of Loop the Loop.

Good post info.

1 month later
#11 2 years ago
Quoted from Mopar:

Did your Mom paint it after it sat under the covered patio? Not a bad job!
The machine in all looks pretty nice for living semily outside. At least I'm
thinking those pics in your 1st post are fairly recent (well after 1985)..

Hi - sorry for the delayed reply.
My mom repainted sometime after it being outside, and I agree... she did a great job. She's the creative one in the family. haha

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-loop-the-loop-club-welcome-to-the-circus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.