(Topic ID: 119977)

Bally 'London': Roasted resistor

By ArcadeTechNerd

9 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LondonSchematicSeg.png
    LondonResistor.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ArcadeTechNerd.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

So OK, this one has me beating my head against the wall!

1969 Bally 'London' bingo, in the backbox have a completely toasted resistor across contacts on the start and 25 cent relays.

LondonResistor.JPGLondonResistor.JPG

And I have spent far more time than I would like to admit staring at the schematic trying to identify this part. So far, no joy...

So, I am wondering. Does anyone out there have a 'London' where this part is not fried that you might be able to have a look and tell me what the value of this resistor should be?

(or add in a picture if resistor color codes are not your friend?)

For reference, looking into the backbox from the rear with the door open this is located just about center on the right side inner backbox wall.

Thanks!

#3 9 years ago

True enough, which would suggest (by proximity) that it was the 8200 ohm resistor shown on the schematic at B-15(.5), but one side of the toasted resistor is connected to opposite side of Switch F on the start relay along with wire 14-9 and the other side of the resistor is connected to the upper leaf of switch A along with wire 41-14 on the 25 cent relay. Schematic location B-28(.5)

Wire 41-14 does connect to the 1800 ohm 2 watt resistor at schematic location B-29(.5) but I still do not see how this would feed back to the start relay across wire 14-9. They do not appear to connect.

Wire 21-3 does connect one side of the 1800 ohm resistor at B-29(.5) back to the other side of Switch F on the start relay, so something here still does not make sense.

Unless this was either a botched connection during an earlier repair attempt or a change after the machine went into production. My initial inclination would be the former, but lacking some valid comparison information I am still debating.

So, best (educated) guess at this point would suggest that the proper course of action would be to replace the toasted resistor with a 1800 ohm 2 watt part, and connect one end of it to the switch leaf on the 25 cent relay shared with wire 41-14 and moving the other end to the switch leaf on the start relay shared with wire 21-3.

Thoughts/comments?

#6 9 years ago

Sounds like a plan! Here is the segment of the schematic referenced in my earlier messages.
    I have highlighted the components in question to make it a bit easier.

LondonSchematicSeg.pngLondonSchematicSeg.png

Big image obviously in order to be readable. Probably want to download it.

Thanks all!

#8 9 years ago

Well, decided to go with the 'educated' guess option, (and thanks to all who have chimed in) and installed the new 1800 ohm 2 watt resistor between the start and 25 cent relays, making sure to get it on the proper side of the switches.

And while it did not suddenly solve all of the machine's issues, (no real surprise there) it did show some promising signs and did not cook the new resistor so I think I am on the right track.

At least with that off the list, I can go back to evaluating the machine's other issues in a reasonable manner. Small steps, but it is all progress.

Thanks!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ArcadeTechNerd.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-london-roasted-resistor?tu=ArcadeTechNerd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.