(Topic ID: 193444)

Bally locked on bumper coil (not transistor)

By JReedie

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 51 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 63 days ago by tlrmcknz
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

PXL_20240116_144717485.jpg
    Medusa_SDB_LowerRightPopBumper_Voltages.jpg
    Medusa_SDB_LowerRightPopBumper.jpg
    XandO_SwitchMatrix.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider StratDoc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#18 6 years ago

I am resurrecting this thread because I am having a similar problem with a Medusa. The bottom right pop bumper locks on when the game is started and blows the playfield fuse. I have replaced the q14 transistor and resistor and installed a new coil on the pop bumper.

I followed Quench's advice and tested the following voltages on the SDB. Here are the measurements. They appear to be okay.

Measure the voltages on the SDB at:
    a) Pin 14 of U2 3.68vdc
    b) Pin 10 of U3 .92vdc
    c) Pin 9 of U3 .55vdc
    d) The banded side of diode CR14 1.28vdc

Thanks in advance for the advice.

#20 6 years ago

Quench,

Thank you. I have should have known that - still learning.

How do you know what the correct voltages should be at the different pins and locations?

#22 6 years ago

This is really helpful. Thanks!

I replaced U3 and everything worked fine for a while. Then the same pop bumper - bottom right decided to quit working. Q14 had failed. I replaced it and all was good for a while and then Q14 failed again.

#24 6 years ago

It is a new coil with diode so it should be good. I did not replace the cr14 on the sdb. Will do that and report back.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider StratDoc.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-locked-on-bumper-coil-not-transistor?tu=StratDoc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.