Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0Little-Joe-pinside-Gate (resized).jpg
IMG_0052 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

Little Joe has on the bottom right a lower gate. It's activated when hitting a lit target on the top left of the playfield.
When hit the gate opens and should stay in that status, untill the ball runs through this gate. Then the gate closes.
Unfortunatelly the lower gate is operating like a machine-gun... With a very high frequency it's vibrating between opening and closing.
I'm sure it's someting about the (sequence) of the switches. Can someone explain how the switches schould operate?

I have an image attached to this post.
When looking at the 3 switches (from left to right) not activated, the status is: closed - open - open.
When activated the status of the switches are: open - closed - closed
I wonder if there's a moment between not-activated and activated that all switches must be opened or closed?
Many thanks in advance!

IMG_0052 (resized).JPGIMG_0052 (resized).JPG

#2 6 years ago

Hi Herman
please first read all - then do testing Your Flipper-Bat. Yes, the Flipper-Bat works the same as the Gate-Solenoid and by looking at the Flipper-Bat You see what the Gate-Solenoid (also) should do. Toggle-off the pin and unplug the main power-cord (Safety Reasons). Lift the playfield and manually actuate a Flipper-Bat by moving its plunger. See how at the end of movement the End-Of-Stroke-Switch opens ? Sneak-in a stripe of paper into this switch - in-between the contact-points of the two blades. Secure the stripe of paper so it does not fall out when the switch opens.

Plug-in, toggle-on, start a game --- playfield is lifted and the stripe of paper keeps the End-of-Stroke-Switch open. Press the flipper-button and watch the plunger --- does it move a bit ? (keep on pressing the flipper-button) - but the Flipper-Bat does not fully actuate --- (keep on pressing the flipper-button) - help manually - manually move the plunger (keep on pressing the flipper-button) question: Does the Flipper-Bat stays in up-position (after You have manually helped) ?

Toggle off the pin, unplug the main power-cord. Look at my JPG --- the coil has "wire-green-black" and the coil has "wire-black" and the coil has a short wire running to the bottom-most-switch. Important question: Does the other blade of the bottom-most-switch ALSO have "Wire-Black" soldered-on ? If "No": Stop testing and write about.

I assume "Yes, has wire-black soldered-on" --- when You manually move the plunger: Does the bottom-most-switch OPEN ? If "No": Stop testing and write about.

I assume "Yes, switch opens when the plunger is manually moved" - so sneak-in a stripe of paper into this switch (as You have done on the switch on the Flipper-Bat) --- and do exactly the testing as You have done on the Flipper-Bat. Write about the result.

Theory - the schematics in my JPG: The "Lower Gate RELAY" is made pulling - the Lower Gate RELAY closes the switch --- POWER - many Amperes run through the Power-Winding (few Ohms Resistance) - and take the freeway around the "High-Ohm-Hold-Wiring" - through the closed End-Of-Stroke-Switch". Plunger is moved and so the Gate opens. The Gate shall be kept open --- just a bit of amperes are sufficient to do this - so the moved plunger opens the End-Of-Stroke-Switch - no more "Freeway around" --- all electrons must flow through the High-Ohmed Hold-Coil. This is a limiter - as all electrons must flow through the Hold-Coil --- also "as many / only few" electrons can flow through the Low-Ohmed-Power-Coil.

I believe You have a problem with the "Spring pushing the plunger backwards" / End-Of-Stroke-Switch / Hold-Coil of the Gate-Unit. Greetings Rolf

0Little-Joe-pinside-Gate (resized).jpg0Little-Joe-pinside-Gate (resized).jpg

1 week later
#3 6 years ago

Hi Rolf,
Thans for you reply and your structured way of analysing the problem. That helps a lot and it's giving an inside look in how it works.
So thanks for the course. But it was indeed an issue with the spring. It was not the original spring, it has way to much force, it prevent a full pull into the coil, so the machine gun started....
After I replaced it with a (kind of) original spring, it works flawlessly.... Beautiful sight how the lower gate opens and closes!
Thanks for solving the issue!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
$ 22.50
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-little-joe-lower-gate-not-working-properly and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.