View topic image gallery

Stepper tab open copy (resized).jpg
Stepper tab closed copy (resized).jpg
Bally 1976 catalog continuous stepper (resized).jpg
Little Joe 2nd Dice Unit 2 (resized).jpg
Little Joe 2nd Dice Unit close-up2 (resized).jpg
Little Joe Dice unit close-up copy (resized).jpg
#1 2 years ago

I'm reviving a Bally Little Joe. This is the stepper of the 2nd Dice unit. When I was cleaning the stepper units I notice this unit has a problem. I can't find what is supposed to close or open the leaf switch. The fixed leaf is to the right. Is the taller flex leaf on the left missing a tab that the pivot arm contacts the leaf to open and close it? It's the only thing I can see that makes sense, but I thought I would ask around before going forward. I can't find an image anywhere of this particular stepper unit. Also, the wire is hanging free from the leaf. I am unsure if this is all done to fix another problem or it all happened on its own.

Little Joe 2nd Dice Unit 2 (resized).jpgLittle Joe 2nd Dice Unit 2 (resized).jpgLittle Joe 2nd Dice Unit close-up2 (resized).jpgLittle Joe 2nd Dice Unit close-up2 (resized).jpgLittle Joe Dice unit close-up copy (resized).jpgLittle Joe Dice unit close-up copy (resized).jpg
#2 2 years ago

That end of stroke switch is part of the hold in circuit for the m-b relay. The switch should be normally closed.

#3 2 years ago

Has that stepper been disassembled? It looks like the switch might be in the wrong place.
Bally 1976 catalog continuous stepper (resized).jpgBally 1976 catalog continuous stepper (resized).jpg
I think the plastic nub should ride on the post on the advance arm.

/Mark

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from pinballdaveh:

That end of stroke switch is part of the hold in circuit for the m-b relay. The switch should be normally closed.

Thanks for the help! I was assuming it must be closed but I was not 100% sure, and assumptions have cost me more time in the past!

#5 2 years ago
Quoted from MarkG:

Has that stepper been disassembled? It looks like the switch might be in the wrong place.
[quoted image]
I think the plastic nub should ride on the post on the advance arm.
/Mark

Mark, to my knowledge it has not been disassembled in the past. I have never seen a continuous stepper quite like this one. If there was a tab on the back of the leaf that rested on the advance arm it had a very narrow point of contact. Here is what I came up with using a drywall anchor. RN engineering at its finest. If this is right it works very well. I have yet to put power to it. Wish me luck!

Stepper tab closed copy (resized).jpgStepper tab closed copy (resized).jpgStepper tab open copy (resized).jpgStepper tab open copy (resized).jpg
#6 2 years ago

If you take the switch apart and flip around the short blade the switch contacts will touch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-little-joe-2nd-dice-stepper-unit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.