Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Quench
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

LDB.jpg
    IMG_3821.JPG
    IMG_3820.JPG
    IMG_3819.JPG
    IMG_3818.JPG
    IMG_3816.JPG
    IMG_3817.JPG
    IMG_3815.JPG
    #1 6 years ago

Have a bally light driver that I'm trying to debug. The board is testing in a fully functional Flash Gordon with a good board set and harnesses. With my boards I can verify everything as good. When I put in the board to test, in lamp test mode, all lamps cycle as expected. But when in attract mode, the lamps are not functioning correctly. Some stay on, most flicker incorrectly... basically it's spastic and the attract light show isn't correct. Again, swap the board and everything is fine.

Tracing which lamps are misbehaving it's not unique to a decoder... the behavior spans all the decoders. I've redone the J4 connector as it was a bit of a mess. I've checked all the resistors on the strobe line and data/address lines in... and didn't see anything out of line on the 20k and 2.2M resistors. The boards are not hacked up... and everything looks fine when the test mode lights everything on/off in unison.

Any idea what could cause this flicker and bad light show? Is it just change all four decoders and hope for the best? It has to be something shared.... strobe, data or address I figure but can't find anything out of line so far.

Ideas?

#2 6 years ago

Are you getting pulsing on J4 pins 4-7 and 13-17?

What about U1-U4 pins 1,2,3,21,22,23?

#3 6 years ago

I know the signal into j4 is good

I know it's getting signal to the decoders because the test mode can cycle all the lights

I'm trying to figure out why it can cycle the 'all' pattern but not the changing pattern well. Which leads me to think something with the address or data lines. Maybe the truth table will be telling...

#4 6 years ago

When you say swapped boards, are you swapping the MPU and the lamp driver board?

I had a similar sounding issue documented here that I think I fixed by replacing the PIA holders and fixing the timing on the 555 timer...

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-35-crazy-lamps-issue

I say think as I don't have a way of knowing for sure until I get the game back together fully.

#5 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

I know the signal into j4 is good
    I know it's getting signal to the decoders because the test mode can cycle all the lights

Your symptoms are indicative of an open circuit of the Lamp Strobe #1 signal (orange-white wire) between the MPU (A4J1-11) to the Lamp board (A5J4-13).
    When this happens, the 4514 decoder chips on the Lamp board are always enabled. This results in the lamp test mode behaving normally, but in attract/game mode the lamps behave erratically.

The lamp data bus and the display data bus are the same, so when data is being written to the displays, your lamp board is also acting on that data because the decoders are stuck on enabled and that's why you get spurious lamp flickering and wrong lamps being lit in attract mode. You can prove it by going to display test mode and seeing the lamps flicker as the displays count.

Make sure that pin 1 of any the 4514 chips on the lamp board is pulsing, indicating a good connection of the lamp strobe #1 signal from the MPU board.

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from Moonbus:

When you say swapped boards, are you swapping the MPU and the lamp driver board?

No, I'm just swapping the lamp board. The game is fully functional, I'm just testing and trying to repair a second light board.

The MPU is an alltek and running fine with multiple other light boards in the same game.

#7 6 years ago

Have you checked/reflowed the header pins of J4 on the driver board?

#8 6 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

Your symptoms are indicative of an open circuit of the Lamp Strobe #1 signal (orange-white wire) between the MPU (A4J1-11) to the Lamp board (A5J4-13).
    When this happens, the 4514 decoder chips on the Lamp board are always enabled. This results in the lamp test mode behaving normally, but in attract/game mode the lamps behave erratically.
    The lamp data bus and the display data bus are the same, so when data is being written to the displays, your lamp board is also acting on that data because the decoders are stuck on enabled and that's why you get spurious lamp flickering and wrong lamps being lit in attract mode. You can prove it by going to display test mode and seeing the lamps flicker as the displays count.
    Make sure that pin 1 of any the 4514 chips on the lamp board is pulsing, indicating a good connection of the lamp strobe #1 signal from the MPU board.

I was suspecting the strobe but I can't nail it down.

The logic probe and voltmeter both say the strobe is pulsing... as is the I input (inhibit) to the decoder. I have a simple BK dp-21 logic probe, and its output I interpret as logic pulse with low duty cycle and the Interupt is a pulse with a high duty cycle. That all makes sense to me from the schematic. In attract mode the voltmeter isn't fast enough to show the change on strobe effectively, but in test mode you can clearly see it change between about .3 and 1.3V on the strobe input.

In display test mode, the lamps are all off as they should be.

I'm starting to think I need to hunt for maybe a shorted data line.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from Inkochnito:

Have you checked/reflowed the header pins of J4 on the driver board?

Yes, as I said, I replaced J4 entirely (mainly because the old pins were so mangled). Fairly confident of my work there. Plus, the symptom precedes that change

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

In attract mode the voltmeter isn't fast enough to show the change on strobe effectively, but in test mode you can clearly see it change between about .3 and 1.3V on the strobe input.

You shouldn't be seeing any difference on the lamp strobe line in lamp test mode. The lamp strobe signal is activated in both the Zero Crossing and Display Interrupt service routines which are always active once the game has booted. Lamp test mode does not change the behavior of the lamp strobe signal. It's the data and inhibit signals to the decoders that change. Maybe the lamp strobe signal on the lamp board is shorted to something else??

If you go to sound test mode (where no lamps or displays are active), you have a blank canvas and can now manually enable lamps on the lamp board.

I'm going by the schematics here (not in front of a machine to verify) but you can try the following:
    Connect the (active low) output enable pin (pin 23) on one of the 4514 decoders to ground.
    Ground the data input pins one at a time at the 4514 chip to enable a single lamp.
    Grounding pin 2 will activate output 14 on the decoder.
    Grounding pin 3 will activate output 13 on the decoder.
    Grounding pin 21 will activate output 11 on the decoder.
    Grounding pin 22 will activate output 7 on the decoder.

Follow the lamp board schematics showing the decoder outputs to see which SCR/lamp should illuminate.

Try it at each decoder chip - do single lamps light at a time or multiple lamps?

BTW, are you sure the unusual lamp behavior isn't related to lamps from the Aux lamp board?

#11 6 years ago

Again... the entire game operates fine except for this one board so no reason to suspect the mcu strobe output or aux board. And the attract mode symptoms map back to the decoders .

Why wouldn't strobe cycle? I need to check the mpu diagram but I don't expect strobe to just be held down

#12 6 years ago
    Quoted from flynnibus:

Why wouldn't strobe cycle? I need to check the mpu diagram but I don't expect strobe to just be held down

The lamp strobe line is always pulsing once the game has booted. It is pulse activated (strobed) during the interrupt service routines. Lamp test mode has zero effect on the rate that it pulses and you should see no difference in the voltage you measure on the strobe line whether all lamps are on or off. If you do, something might be shorted to the strobe signal or it's shorted within one of the decoders on this suspect lamp board.

With the machine off, measure the decoder pin 1 resistance to ground and VCC and compare to your good board.

Post some nice clear pictures front and back of the board.

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Quench:

You shouldn't be seeing any difference on the lamp strobe line in lamp test mode

I don't know why it's different... but I also know a simple voltmeter is not great for this, so I'm not too stressed over it. I have multiple light boards working in this same machine, so I'm hesitant to blame stuff upstream of the light board in question.

Quoted from Quench:

If you go to sound test mode (where no lamps or displays are active), you have a blank canvas and can now manually enable lamps on the lamp board.

This wasn't consistent with what I saw. Even in sound test mode, the Address lines were pulsing away, as were the Inhibit lines. The system seemed to be sending the truth table to output 15, which is N/C, but I could see the associated pin pulsing away while all the other output lines were low. I saw this on both the good and question boards.

The board is basically virgin and no signs of any shorts or even work besides the header pins being kind of nasty with old flux. I did swap C1 with another known good so there is signs of work there, and on J4 which I redid. I also redid Q60 I think it was which had been replaced with the classic 'solder the transistor without removing the board' trick.

I toned out all the data and address lines on the logic side, and there were no shorts. I also checked strobe and Inhibit again, and everything just connects as it should to the resistors and onto the J4 connector.

I can't think of anything else to do beyond possibly just removing J4 entirely, wiring in +5vdc and GND and trying to manually trigger strobe and a data line.. and plan 2: trying to remove decoders as if one might be messing up the others.

IMG_3816.JPGIMG_3816.JPG
    IMG_3819.JPGIMG_3819.JPG
    IMG_3820.JPGIMG_3820.JPG
    IMG_3821.JPGIMG_3821.JPG

IMG_3815.JPGIMG_3815.JPG

IMG_3817.JPGIMG_3817.JPG

IMG_3818.JPGIMG_3818.JPG

#14 6 years ago

Possible interop issue with the alltek and these chips? Unforunately all the bally games in my collection have alltek's in them currently... would have to jump around a bit to get a mpu I can trust. But maybe that would be worthy before depop'in all the decoders.

#15 6 years ago

Thanks for the pics.
    It's probably just lighting in the photo, but check that the strobe signal pins circled in pink aren't dry/fractured solder joints.
    At the connector, the cruft between the pins circled in green I presume is resin but incase it's something else conductive, clean that crap out.

I just checked with an oscilloscope and the lamp strobe line pulsing is consistent at pin 1 of the decoders regardless of whether the game is in lamp test, display test or attract mode. I wouldn't be discounting the odd voltage swing you got from your multimeter in lamp test mode. It's telling you something unusual is going on.

You can logically disable each of the decoder outputs by removing the individual PD0, PD1, PD2 or PD3 wires from the J4 connector housing (pin 7, 6, 5 or 4 respectively). It may or may not reveal something noteworthy but it's easy enough to do.

More interestingly, the lamp strobe signal is connected to each decoders pin 1 via wire jumper links. Starting from the bottom decoder (which is at the end of the lamp strobe line chain), if you remove one end of the wire link and connect pin 1 of that decoder to ground to stop it changing output state, it might help you narrow down if any of the chips have an internal short of the strobe line. Disconnect the strobe line from each decoder and ground the strobe pin 1 on that decoder one at a time from the bottom chip going upwards.

LDB.jpgLDB.jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bally-light-driver-board-issue-disoriented-attract-mode?hl=moonbus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.